Malazan Empire: Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc - Malazan Empire

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc

#921 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 19 November 2021 - 10:14 PM

"Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to whit: There must be ingroups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside outgroups whom the law binds but does not protect." - Frank Wilhoit

The US, throughout its history, has been a very conservative country. And, as we see, remains so.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#922 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2021 - 04:10 AM

Smug little shit. :(

https://www.news.com...ffe51b4608a9d1e

I'm wondering what would happen if a bunch of people carrying AR-15s constantly walked up and down his street in shifts saying they were "protecting" it?
I guess if they wore MAGA hats, absolutely nothing. But if they wore BLM etc tshirts they'd have the cops on them in a flash. Or groups of MAGA hat wearers turning up in response and ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#923 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:39 AM

Just carrying an AR-15 anywhere on a street in most of Europe would get you arrested straight away. When it gets to this stage, you are already multiple steps past lost cause territory.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#924 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 November 2021 - 02:29 PM

man walking down the street here with any gun on display let alone an assault rifle....

#925 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:38 PM

Us Europeans obviously don't have freedom...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 20 November 2021 - 07:38 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#926 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:51 AM

That's just the thing. We have counter protests here too sometimes, take London when you had the protests coinciding with BLM and the gammons went out to counter protest their right to hate brown people because dems da forruns.

Now arm any one of those gammons with, say, a cricket bat. Are they getting arrested / tazed? Likely, possibly. And knowing the mentality of Judges here (at least civil circuit) as I do, the first thing a Judge would want to know from said gammon is why would you go to a counter protest, and why would you do so armed, if not to cause trouble and harm?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#927 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 23 November 2021 - 10:27 AM

Am I right in thinking judges in America are political appointees/politically aligned or voted for? So you could quite easily get a foreigner hating, gun loving corrupt judge who may well see you as a hero (which Schroder certainly appeared to feel towards Rittenhouse...,)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#928 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 November 2021 - 11:41 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 November 2021 - 10:27 AM, said:

Am I right in thinking judges in America are political appointees/politically aligned or voted for? So you could quite easily get a foreigner hating, gun loving corrupt judge who may well see you as a hero (which Schroder certainly appeared to feel towards Rittenhouse...,)

It depends one where in the country I think. At any rate, the issue with the Rittenhouse case is not so much the individual judge (from a legal perspective I am not convinced the judgement is particularly heinous), but rather the laws themselves. As you say, in most countries turning up with a gun to do a counter protest would be a felony, and shooting someone even in self defense is illegal in most places too.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#929 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:52 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 November 2021 - 11:41 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 November 2021 - 10:27 AM, said:

It depends one where in the country I think. At any rate, the issue with the Rittenhouse case is not so much the individual judge (from a legal perspective I am not convinced the judgement is particularly heinous), but rather the laws themselves. As you say, in most countries turning up with a gun to do a counter protest would be a felony, and shooting someone even in self defense is illegal in most places too.

One of the big arguments from the trumpets is that what happened was legally sound. They seem to ascribe to the view that the law is inherently moral and just, when in a lot of instances, it's just... not.

#930 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:02 PM

Laws make judgment about themselves and nothing more. They are by their very nature not suited to be used as a moral argument.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#931 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

The fact that Rittenhouse went on Fox News for an exclusive and in that interview expressed that he "supports" BLM....and the Conservative social media sphere turned on him SO QUICKLY.

These people will fucking eat themselves if we just leave them to it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#932 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:37 PM

He's a made man now, so he good. Got the top don backing him. Just triggering and owning the libs is all that amounts to.

https://nypost.com/2...fter-acquittal/

Those pics in the background though <shaking hands with Zim Jing Yun across forbidden zone>

#933 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:43 PM

https://www.theguard...-verdict-guilty

There's a certain bleak irony to the fact that the defence counsel attempted to argue that the treatment of the defendants in this case was what "amounted to a modern-day lynching". But I guess when you have to defend a case as open and shut as this one you either go big or go home.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#934 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:57 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 24 November 2021 - 07:43 PM, said:

There's a certain bleak irony to the fact that the defence counsel attempted to argue that the treatment of the defendants in this case was what "amounted to a modern-day lynching". But I guess when you have to defend a case as open and shut as this one you either go big or go home.

I'm just glad they were all found guilty.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#935 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:32 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 24 November 2021 - 07:43 PM, said:

Trying to co-opt the language of the oppressed is a classic right wing tactic so that's not surprising.

As QT said I'm just very glad they've been found guilty. Hoping the sentencing is appropriate.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#936 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:56 PM

On this Thanksgiving Eve here in the U.S. everyone should be thankful, because this had civil unrest all over it if the verdicts were different.

#937 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:00 PM

Did I read that correct in that one of the three state prosecutors presented with the case suggested no charges should be laid against them?

#938 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:21 PM

Kim Potter found guilty.

#939 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:54 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 December 2021 - 09:21 PM, said:

Kim Potter found guilty.

I really don't see how anyone can mistake a handgun for a taser. Beyond some vague similarity in shape, the look and presumably feel of a taser (due to the higher trigger and bulkier business end) can't be anything alike.

#940 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 March 2022 - 01:33 AM

It really is a fascinating exercise to look for the connections in it all. So all that military grade equipment that police departments became bloated with, well surprise, they are donating extra gear to Ukraine. Isn't that crazy?

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users