• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc

#801 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:54 PM

Naw, you already crushed yourself by admitting you listen to Bon Jovi. Do you drink rosé on the weekends and take testosterone supplements too?

#802 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 31 July 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

Naw, you already crushed yourself by admitting you listen to Bon Jovi. Do you drink rosé on the weekends and take testosterone supplements too?

Have you listened to Bruce Springsteen songs or Billy Joel's?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#803 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:59 PM

#NotAllJerseyBoys

Springsteen is the only one of those three I never got into tho.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#804 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:03 PM

Going off topic here, but Springsteen pre Born in the USA, everyone should listen to. It's genius. Like listen to the album Nebraska, head phones on. Early Billy Joel is excellent to. Bon Jovi, pop rock for mass audience appeal, radio friendly pap, you can keep it. I can get down with some Blaze of Glory, cowboy (Wanted Dead or Alive) though, if I'm feeling the pew pew pew, swinging saloon doors, gunfight vibes.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 31 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

#805 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

View Postamphibian, on 31 July 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 31 July 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

Have you listened to Bruce Springsteen songs or Billy Joel's?

do you mean has Malaz listened to any off the boss or joel or do you mean have I listened to songs by those two that they've released about the current events? (no would be the answer, only heard Jovis cause it popped up randomly on spotify)

#806 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:21 PM

They haven't released new songs about now (I don't think). They're just the other two New Jersey triumvirate members and all are way further left-wing than you'd expect for pop/rock stars.

#807 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:33 PM

View PostMacros, on 31 July 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

I don't think celebrities are going to save us.

But Bon Jovis new single American Reckoning is pretty damn ace.

This is where you all crush me and say he's actually a KKK member and the song is about building a wall

Yeah, you weren’t kidding. It’s really great and quite poignantly written. Thanks for the heads up.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#808 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:29 AM

Bon Jovi was awesome in the early 90s. Despite being more into euro dance and techno there were some releases that were seminal for my early teens, like Michael Jackson's HiStory, Nirvana and definitely Bon Jovi, which tied into the popularity of the Young Guns films.

#809 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:27 AM

View Postamphibian, on 31 July 2020 - 09:21 PM, said:

They haven't released new songs about now (I don't think). They're just the other two New Jersey triumvirate members and all are way further left-wing than you'd expect for pop/rock stars.

Ah, being a Eurovillan I just lump them all together as "American"

Side tracking anyway apologies.

#810 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:31 AM

I liked Bon Jovi before Young Guns. It was part of my general obsession with hair bands. GNR was my favorite but I liked Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and various others.

Back on topic, Bill Clinton sucks so much. Even though it was for all the wrong reasons, I'm glad I didn't vote for him in 1996. MAGA trolls who try to throw him in my face are going to hit a brick wall because I have never liked him.

PS: The "Eyes on the Prize" series (free with login) is a good source for looking at the wide range of leaders in the movement including Stokely Carmichael. It's not a perfect source, but does a really good job setting up how the movement collapsed into the 80s when white people decided they had given enough. The problems of poverty and police brutality would have to wait for another day.

This post has been edited by Terez: 01 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#811 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

I'd like to hear the Police rationale behind this one. Should be good.

https://www.news.com...249f228cb11d38e
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#812 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:23 AM

What the fuck are those cops even doing?

They sort of lumber behind the guy shouting at him. One of them sort of half assed grab at him while they wave their guns around in one hand.

Then they shoot the guy and they're still waving their guns around like a couple of gangbangers, while one of them is shoving the lady away. Not paying attention to her. What if SHE had a gun or a knife?

These are a bunch of amateurs.

#813 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

In some precincts apt the mandatory training is substantially less hours than it takes to get certified to do someone's nails.

#814 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:30 AM

And their entire training, and the culture within their field, is that they are at war and everyone is out to murder them given half a chance.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#815 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 25 August 2020 - 01:58 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 August 2020 - 11:30 AM, said:

And their entire training, and the culture within their field, is that they are at war and everyone is out to murder them given half a chance.

I've been seeing this over and over again in the Fbook posts and memes spread by the police community in my area. I would say a solid 70% of my local police think at least occasionally that the people they "serve and protect" are their enemies and are not fully "people".

The widespread prevalence of guns is making this worse and worse. Both things - the guns and the culture of hating those they are supposed to protect - need to go.

#816 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:50 PM

I must say that if you are genuinely in fear of your life on a daily basis due to everyone and their mother carrying guns, I can see why 'serve and protect' might not be at the top of your agenda. I'd be very natural to develop a 'Let's survive the day and see how we do tomorrow' attitude. I think comparing the situation on the ground for cops in the US with those in most of Europe is an unfair base to start from.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#817 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

It's not even a let's survive the day thing, working as a police officer is much less dangerous than working as a garbage pickup person or working on a fishing boat.

https://www.business...-america-2018-7

Almost half of the deaths reported by police in 2019 were accidents - usually involving driving a car and crashing. https://www.fbi.gov/...he-line-of-duty

Furthermore the amount of officers who died in 2019 was less than 90 and of those who were killed "feloniously", most of those were gun related.

All of this makes for an organizational attitude replicated almost everywhere that is eerily like an occupying army rather than community assistance and protection.

#818 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:13 PM

Can't be done all at one time, but, with thoughtful application of a comprehensive policy, every law enforcement officer should be laid off (not fired) and required to re-apply for his/her job. With an independent committee participating in the hiring process. And then required to go through a process of training/retraining before donning the badge and given a gun. And following from that, an annual training / re-certification type TQ process.

#819 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

#820 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:26 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 25 August 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Can't be done all at one time, but, with thoughtful application of a comprehensive policy, every law enforcement officer should be laid off (not fired) and required to re-apply for his/her job. With an independent committee participating in the hiring process. And then required to go through a process of training/retraining before donning the badge and given a gun. And following from that, an annual training / re-certification type TQ process.

That would be wonderful. However, since police have 20-40% of municipal budgets and an outsized political power, any move against police budgets or jobs usually results in an existential threat to the positions and sometimes the lives of council members or mayors.

We as a country have allowed unions to become weakened enormously, except the police unions and the police unions are almost all run by raging assholes who are farther right than Trump.

The leaders of a major police union in NYC threatened publicly the mayor's daughter - and nothing happened to them. In fact, the mayor apologized to them. https://www.newsweek...aughter-1507750

The Portland police union leaders asked the federal agencies to come in to Portland against the wishes of the mayor and the state governor. https://www.opb.org/...head-chad-wolf/

That resulted in protestors being "disappeared" by unnamed federal agents for days at a time.

This nationwide series protest against police brutality has started to more visibly confront the horrendous power we've given them here in the US and how willing or happy the police are to use that power against us in ways that we cannot match.

They don't serve and protect us. We serve and enable them.

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users