• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc

#821 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:50 PM

Man, I saw the craziest road rage display this morning. Dude's needle was pegged on red. The other guy was lucky access to the Interstate on-ramp was right there, otherwise shit could have gotten ugly real fast. He hit the gas and was gone. I don't think there was any talking 'hulk angry' dude down from red mist behind his eyes and steam pouring out his ears.

Do you guys think we are on a civil war footing here in the U.S. ? Like, low simmer status and all it will take is something (*cough election results *cough) to light that fuse and send things into full scale mayhem?

#822 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:52 PM

Yes, we absolutely are. I wouldn't read too much into any isolated incident, but Trump is 100% revving up the crowd and I'm not sure we won't reach a breaking point before the election.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#823 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:24 AM

I have a friend who's wife is american, and they are exploring ways to get her parents to Norway permanently in case of a civil war.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#824 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:27 PM

I'm convinced we are on a slow simmer right now and things will probably get to a boil before the end of 2020. Keeping up with current events it's not an outrageous view point, but I also apply my own experiences, and by what I've witnessed people are on edge. Another example - was pulling onto a main avenue which allows for merging in from a pretty lengthy merge lane. So I am in the merge lane and this car is quite obviously going over the speed limit in the lane I need to merge into. I see this car coming way ahead, and figure this person is running late, so I wave the driver on thinking I was being polite and letting a person in a rush go ahead (it's usually etiquette for traffic to let a car merge in as a general rule of thumb). Well, this driver needed to turn into a gas station, which had a turn off right after the end of the merge lane, so I guess the driver was annoyed that I didn't hit the gas and get out of his/her way. So the driver speeds by as I am waving them on, and as the car passes me, a middle aged, well put together, business woman looking driver flips me off and continues on to turn off into the gas station. What the hell! We are fucked as a society.

#825 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:37 PM

Grand jury has indicted Officer Hankinson on three counts of wanton endangerment in the case of the wrongful death of Breonna Taylor. of the neighbours apartment...

so...fuck.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 September 2020 - 08:40 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#826 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

It's wanton endangerment of the neighbors for shooting into their apartment.

Edit: Source is https://twitter.com/...7757737984?s=19

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 23 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#827 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:40 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 23 September 2020 - 08:35 PM, said:

It's wanton endangerment of the neighbors for shooting into their apartment.

Edit: Source is https://twitter.com/...7757737984?s=19

Shit, I had not noticed...fucking hell that's worse than nothing.

And I fear what happens next....because if George Floyd (whose offending officers were arrested and charged) caused the mass protests that happened during the summer...this utter miscarriage of justice is going to be ten times worse.

This is literally them saying "The police can come to your house and kill you, and there is nothing you can do about it, and nothing is going to happen to them for doing it"...

Like holy hell...the whole police system in the States is a corrupt cesspool of rot all the way down. It's bad here too, but you guys are on another level of corruption.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 September 2020 - 08:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#828 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:11 PM

I feel ashamed for once arguing here that racism was worse in Europe. They're different flavors, but it's a more entrenched and far more violent and thieving form in the US.

This series of decisions and charges tells us an enormous amount. It tells us that we are not safe from the police, we are not safe from paramilitary wannabes, we often cannot get justice, we are forced to pay the salaries of people enacting and strengthening the systems and organizations doing this violence, and that large swathes of the media cannot grapple with all of this because it would require tossing out their "there are two sides to every issue" approach.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#829 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:38 PM

This isn't about the States but for lack of anywhere else to put it...

For anyone who thinks Canada is some bastion of tolerance...I give you Jolliette fucking Quebec...this is awful.

https://nypost.com/2...urce=reddit.com

The way we have treated, still treat, and have not truly addressed how Indigenous peoples here are treated is disgusting and so very much on display. It happens in the more liberal provinces (like my own), but in places like Sask, Alberta, and especially Quebec it happens WAY too much and way too blatantly.

Thing like Residential Schools, and the Sixties Scoop need to be required teaching in Canada...not enough people are taught the horrendous things in Canada's recent past.

#830 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:38 PM

I think we have a few members in Philadelphia. Everybody staying safe? Give us a shout out.

#831 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:40 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 27 October 2020 - 11:38 PM, said:

I think we have a few members in Philadelphia. Everybody staying safe? Give us a shout out.

I live in West Philadelphia. I'm more worried about the National Guard.

#832 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:50 PM

Posted Image

Hopefully it doesn't get to the point where trump sends in ATF&ICE&ProudBoys Militia&Boogaloo&<plug in paramilitary/militia group here>

If you do go out to show solidarity, be vigilant and stay safe. Protest in power.

#833 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 27 October 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

Were you born and raised there? And did you spend most of your days in the playground?

Sorry...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#834 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:28 PM

I was thinking on this some more and you know, Philadelphia would be the ideal place for this - simmering lid rattling on a civil war footing pot we find ourselves in this moment - to just explode. Philadelphia's long history, the moment (so close to a contentious election), the reckoning we are going through with systemic racism. Philly is called the "City of Brotherly Love." Damn, you can't write a more perfect setting to spark off the collapse of America.

Keep watching Philadelphia in the days to come.

#835 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 October 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 27 October 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

Were you born and raised there? And did you spend most of your days in the playground?

Sorry...

Nah, the edge of the woods just outside the city. (Now they've been replaced by mini-mansions with elaborate topiaries.) Only other child my age within walking distance had a house full of guns, gas masks, and military paraphernalia. First saw that Will Smith opening at a Pakistani take-out restaurant in one of the South Asian areas of the suburbs.

In addition to the universities (where Biden taught, and Trump pretended to study), a large part of West Philadelphia has been gentrified---the land of yoga studios....

Unfortunately it is getting a little dangerous:

'Several ATMs were exploded. At one point, a stolen Amazon truck sped past police before crashing, according to police.

Gunfire first erupted around 8 p.m., according to police documents, when an 18-year-old man from South Philadelphia said he was in the Foot Locker parking lot at the 3400 block of Aramingo Avenue, when he noticed a shopping cart of stolen baby goods. When he tried to take it, he said men in a passing car shot him in the side — and hit a nearby 15-year-old girl from Upper Darby in the leg.

Around the same time, a 37-year-old man from Fairmount said he was shot in the parking lot of a nearby Checkers restaurant, according to police documents, when a gunman jumped in his car, trying to steal it. The man was wounded in his leg.

Around 10:35 p.m., a West Philadelphia man was shot in the leg when he exchanged gunfire with a man outside a Snipes sneaker store along the same shopping strip. The man, 28, told police he had taken an Uber to Port Richmond to loot, when he saw a man arguing with a woman outside the shop. When he intervened, he said the man pulled out an AK-style pistol. He returned fire and was wounded in the leg.

None of the injuries was believed to be life-threatening.'

https://www.inquirer...t-20201028.html

Best to stay inside as much as possible.

I hope this doesn't help Trump.

On the one hand, some people will just see that he was walking towards police with a knife, which he was refusing to put down, and conclude that the shooting was justified. So in addition to potentially disrupting early voting inside Philadelphia, the looting and violence may lend credence to Trump's 'anarchist jurisdiction' nonsense.

On the other hand, the details of the case (his mother called 911 for an ambulance to deal with a mental health emergency; there should have been a mental health expert at the call center, but there was not; the police had visited the house twice that day because of his ongoing mental health crisis; they were not armed with tasers or other nonlethal weapons when they killed him; etc.) indicate major failures on the part of the Democratic administration, which has been too slow in implementing reforms. That could discourage people from voting. Signs encouraging people to vote have been torn down and set on fire....

[Edit: the local West Philadelphia highschool that was converted into luxury apartments is actually not the one Will Smith went to. I was thinking of this one:

Posted Image

But he went to Overbrook:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 October 2020 - 11:44 PM

#836 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

Trump describing the unrest in Philadelphia - "People are breaking into stores and walking out with washing machines and walking out with all sorts of things."

Posted Image So get ready Philly, a contingent of Maytag repairmen could be coming to your streets walking in formation armed with soap guns that shoot Tide Pods.

I've never heard anyone who so transparently talks out of their ass, all the time, every time they speak.

#837 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 29 October 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

I've never heard anyone who so transparently talks out of their ass, all the time, every time they speak.

It's particularly approriate as a desciption when you think about the content of his diatribes: what comes out of his mouth (and twitter) is exactly the same as what comes out of his arse.

But has less value as fertiliser.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#838 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:00 AM

Caught a quick segment on the clash in D.C. last night, where numerous stabbings occurred. The footage showed fighting and in it a guy had on a shirt with a yellow American flag. What is the meaning of this version? I think I saw what looked like a PB on his friends shirts/jackets, which must be Proud Boys. So possibly this is some version that the Proud Boys are perpetuating?

#839 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:21 AM

Yellow flag with a snake on it is a dumbass anti-government flag that somehow means "police the shit out of them and not us".

Black and white American flag with a yellow stripe is a new thing that might mean supporting soldiers in the same way that the black and white flags with a blue line mean supporting police. In actuality, the blue line flags are kinda confederate flag replacements because the people putting them up aren't doing it because they truly support the police in a meaningful way beyond resisting any curtailment of their power.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#840 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

Anyone got deets on the Christmas day bombing in Nashville? Is it related to...stuff? I'm off the news loop (been nice tbh, might make it a New Year's resolution), so don't know much about what's going on. Fill us in please... oh wise and beneficient current event, doomscroll addicts. *bows-to-sensei

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users