• You cannot reply to this topic

Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc

#461 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:54 AM

Hahahahahahahahaha burn your fucking justice system to the ground
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#462 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostDumbledude, on 11 February 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

If you want to see the bar lowered even from there: http://www.clevescen...-estate-for-500

If you think that the city of Cleveland and its law department couldn't handle the Tamir Rice case any worse than it has, well, we have news for you.

The city filed a creditor's notice against the estate of Tamir Rice looking for a past due amount of $500.

What's that $500 for?

It's "owing for emergency medical services rendered as the decedent's last dying expense under Ohio Revised Code."

Okay. I've given them every single shred of the shadow of doubt.

That is so bizarre that even my head is exploding.

Edit: I hate cops. But I've got two of them in the family. And they are the two most honorable people I've ever met. But as the fourth wisest person on this forum has posted "they always seem to forget the part of the saying about spoiling the barrel." The 'no snitches' thing is a problem on the other side. Serpico was shot by his fellow cops.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 11 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#463 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:48 AM

The 'no snitches' is a rational response to not only a justice system that is objectively biased toward you because of your skin colour, but an entire social infrastructure being biased toward you because of your skin colour. 'No snitching' doesn't mean 'let me be a criminal' its 'let me do this thing in which I earned, barely, a living wage in a system where I'm charged more for rent, where my mortgage is either more expensive or rejected, where I'm less likely to get a call back from a job because my name sounds 'black' where...etc'. This is not a 'evil' or 'weird' reaction to the situation in which many poor black people in the States find themselves in, but rather a rational reaction to a group of people (police) which have historically, and repeatedly, have shown not giving a fuck if you were or weren't up to something no good, they'd bust you in the head anyway, just for looking at them wrong. Calling out 'no snitching' assume the other side of the equation is ready to stop being less racist, and there is no evidence, academically, or otherwise, that suggests that is the case. 'no snitching' is a survival technique and nothing more. Once cops stop rolling up on 12 year old and shooting them dead then I guarantee the community will make active efforts to eliminate 'no snitching'.

This post has been edited by Studlock: 16 February 2016 - 06:49 AM

#464 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:13 AM

Don't forget fear of retaliation and lack of witness protection.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#465 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

Studlock, Gnaw was saying no snitches regarding police informing Internal Affairs et al about dirty or bad cops. The Serpico line makes that clear.

The blue line is very tough to cross. That's not me editorializing, it is me saying that we probably should be getting more police informing on the bad apples than we are getting considering the rate of bad acts publicly known.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 16 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#466 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

This shit just gets more and more depressing. Even 5 year olds aren't safe because (white) people are more likely to perceive them as "aggressive" compared to other (white?) 5 year olds in a psych study.

http://www.theroot.c...wpisrc=obinsite

I take it this website is an African-American one though, so I don't know if they're biased and cherry-picking the results. The optimist in me hopes they are but the realist doubts it. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#467 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

The national primaries weren't great, but the Cleveland Prosecutor who refused to prosecute Tamir Rice's murderer was ousted, as was the Chicago Prosecutor who stalled charging Laquan McDonald's murderer for 400 days until the tape was finally released and she was forced to. Both righteous outcomes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#468 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

Good news in this thread is rare and precious.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#469 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

The Cleveland prosecutor thing is mixed news because the person who did win the primary has even less of a reform record than person who lost.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#470 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:50 PM

I read he ran on reform, but I suppose that could have just been convenient rhetoric. Obviously you can't always trust any prosecutor beholden to the electorate, and this was an opportunity for pouncing if there ever was one. That said, McGinty deserved to lose, regardless.

#471 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

Alton Sterling killed by Baton Rouge cops while selling CD's.

Edit: Very similar to Eric Garner's death.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#472 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:45 AM

I think 100% it'll be found to be justified. I mean, does anyone really think it'll turn out any different?

A second video (from the store owner, but not the store's camera) does quite clearly show Sterling pinned to the ground on both sides, one cop shouting "he's got a gun" and instant gunfire. Then a pause and more gunfire, at a clearly dazed and wounded Sterling. Then a cop pulling an item out of Sterling's pocket (never his hands, which are both clearly empty) which might be a small weapon. Absolutely nothing in the video depicts a threat to the police at any point.
http://www.thedailyb...killed-him.html

#473 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:50 AM

Even if he was openly carrying, it's an open carry state. But I guess that's just for white people...

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#474 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:28 AM

The criminal justice court system has shown, time and time again, as being heavily biased in these types of cases toward law enforcement--its a improper tool to judge whether something is upheld justifiably. Like wise civil courts are a lifeless tool in enacting proper punishment (as the pay outs come the city via taxes) on those individuals who shoot 12 year olds out of fear. I think its time to start approaching alternative forms of justice in these cases as the results are obviously biased and unfavourable to the victims and their families. And I don't mean like vigilante justice--but rather applying different theories of justice to these cases rather than the retributive form of justice the criminal courts play out as. Perhaps in would lower the blue line, and allow of community involvement in these cases--and the community should have its say as the police are a public organization and should be treated as you would any type of public organization.

#475 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:03 AM

Another video up.

http://www.wbrz.com/...ng-what-we-know

3:52 if you care to watch.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#476 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

You need to stop boarding with your phone already and get on a computer, BK.

#477 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

Holy lord, the Philando Castile shooting aftermath video is as heart-wrenching as anything, including Sterling's son breaking down.
http://www.startribu...eo/385789251/#1

Video, which I don't necessarily suggest watching if you're squeamish, but if you want to see things go from bad to worse in real time, man's inhumanity to man, etc.: https://www.facebook...75/?pnref=story

#478 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostKanyemander West, on 07 July 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

I think 100% it'll be found to be justified. I mean, does anyone really think it'll turn out any different?

A second video (from the store owner, but not the store's camera) does quite clearly show Sterling pinned to the ground on both sides, one cop shouting "he's got a gun" and instant gunfire. Then a pause and more gunfire, at a clearly dazed and wounded Sterling. Then a cop pulling an item out of Sterling's pocket (never his hands, which are both clearly empty) which might be a small weapon. Absolutely nothing in the video depicts a threat to the police at any point.
http://www.thedailyb...killed-him.html

Not that I needed convincing, the first video already pretty much illustrates the cops were completely in the wrong, but sweet jeezus this second video is chilling, ESPECIALLY the reach into his pocket after the fact to pull out what is PROBABLY the weapon they were claiming he'd pulled.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#479 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

Not that I don't think this situation seems all fucked up but I think the video is pretty inconclusive. I haven't seen the cops statement yet but we can't see what was going on between the cop that shot and the victim from the two camera angles.

What ever it was the guy had in his pocket that the cop removes afterwards could have been assumed a weapon. Whether it turns out to be one afterwards is inconsequential. If the cop thinks it is a gun or a knife, and the guy reaches for it, then I could see the officer (and a jury) considering the shooting just. If the officer is afraid for his life or the bystanders safety he has to make a decision.

However, that doesn't really explain how they hell they ended up in that clusterfuck on the ground to start with. Nor what the extra couple shots were for.

This post has been edited by Apt: 07 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

#480 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostApt, on 07 July 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

If the cop thinks it is a gun or a knife, and the guy reaches for it, then I could see the officer (and a jury) considering the shooting just.

Two big cops had both his arms pinned at that point. You can see it in the 1st video. I doubt he could reach for anything, let alone would anyone attempt to reach their pocket for a weapon when two burly cops are on top of them after tackling them to the ground.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users