• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc

#301 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:15 AM

It does come very very close to saying that, thank goodness. And in tandem with the clear picture of racial bias, it basically does.

Posted Image

If only actual individuals were held accountable. Sadly, the fact that racism is systemic can offer it the same nebulous quality of "corporations are people" ideology, granting individuals a kind of force field as a nasty byproduct.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#302 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

I'm not even surprised about this shit anymore. I highly doubt the Ferguson PD is unique in this aspect in the USA. It's like the biggest, most horrifying game of 'stop-hitting-yourself' ever seen.

#303 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:48 AM

http://www.theatlant...erguson/386893/

Ta-Nehisi Coates once again knocks it out of the ballpark.

This post has been edited by Studlock: 07 March 2015 - 04:44 AM

#304 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

View PostStudlock, on 07 March 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

Ta-Nehisi Coates ones again knocks it out of the ballpark.

As soon as I read "The "focus on revenue" was almost wholly a focus on black people as revenue." I knew a John Locke quote was coming. What does one do when the magistrate is the highwayman?
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#305 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

View PostGnaw, on 07 March 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

View PostStudlock, on 07 March 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

Ta-Nehisi Coates ones again knocks it out of the ballpark.

As soon as I read "The "focus on revenue" was almost wholly a focus on black people as revenue." I knew a John Locke quote was coming. What does one do when the magistrate is the highwayman?

Over here we get the shits when our highway cops are obviously running what you guys would call "speed traps". We use phrases like "running behind in the quota?" and so on. The Police Service denies being agents of revenue-raising, but simple common sense would demonstrate otherwise. But I digress.

The thing is, that and a couple of other vehicular-related fines are pretty much the extent of what we would call revenue-raising by our police. What I've read about occurring in Ferguson et al is simply staggering. I genuinely never thought a police dept could or would be used in that fashion, and how it could be so biased. Whether that was the intention from the inception of the system, or it simply ended up that way I have no idea. But yeah, what does one do when the magistrate is the highwayman?

Makes me grateful to live in a place where our gripes about police are quite trivial in comparison.

My question now is: what happens next? Do Justice Dept investigations have the power to call down a righteous power of shit upon people? To effect process change? Or is it more of a direct pressure on lawmakers to do so? Or indeed, ammunition for those who would do so?

This post has been edited by Sombra: 07 March 2015 - 07:01 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#306 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

I don't know much about Australia's policing toward the aboriginals there but I think it's important to point out that for a lot of white people in America policing DOES work and is effective. We see a similar thing here in Canada when it comes to the over policing of First Nation communities, we don't have the particular problem with gun violence mostly because you don't have the same kind of gun culture, but I think we have to be careful in thinking that Ferguson or even the USA is unique in this manner, doubly so for countries that were colonized. There is shocking amount of shared experiences of people (and I'm including Black Americans in this) who have been colonized and there treatment of systems of government and I wouldn't be surprised if people Latin America, or Australia, or South Africa have similar experiences to those people living in Ferguson.

But like I said I don't know about Australia policing toward aboriginals there so they might be a shining example to follow.

This post has been edited by Studlock: 07 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

#307 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

Sunny Hostin (who's a lawyer/pundit/journalist) was on The Nightly Show last night and she seemed pretty sure that the DOJ's "suggestions" were in fact essentially orders and only the beginning, and that Ferguson will have to make some proactive change while under the microscope or the hammer will be brought down. Nobody's going to jail (of course) but people could lose their jobs as the town restructures (including police chief, mayor, etc). She seemed certain (as opposed to merely optimistic), and I don't doubt that this petty podunk squad could see some real hurt, but I'm still in wait-and-see mode till it actually happens.

#308 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostStudlock, on 07 March 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

I don't know much about Australia's policing toward the aboriginals there but I think it's important to point out that for a lot of white people in America policing DOES work and is effective. We see a similar thing here in Canada when it comes to the over policing of First Nation communities, we don't have the particular problem with gun violence mostly because you don't have the same kind of gun culture, but I think we have to be careful in thinking that Ferguson or even the USA is unique in this manner, doubly so for countries that were colonized. There is shocking amount of shared experiences of people (and I'm including Black Americans in this) who have been colonized and there treatment of systems of government and I wouldn't be surprised if people Latin America, or Australia, or South Africa have similar experiences to those people living in Ferguson.

But like I said I don't know about Australia policing toward aboriginals there so they might be a shining example to follow.

A quick Google shows that aboriginals make up 2.5% of the Australian population and 25% of the prison population.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#309 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Not again. :D

http://www.news.com....v-1227253246612

Not enough facts yet, but talk about shitty timing.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 07 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#310 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

Double post :D

Following an unrelated series of links today, I stumbled across this from Sep 13. If this has been posted before I apologise (but I can't recall seeing it on here).

Is this shit true? Has it progressed any from the time it was written? All I could think when I saw it earlier today was "Holy shit!" when considered in relation to what the DoJ found out about the Ferguson cops. :D

http://www.motherjon...quota-cca-crime

This post has been edited by Sombra: 09 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

#311 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostSombra, on 09 March 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

Double post :D

Following an unrelated series of links today, I stumbled across this from Sep 13. If this has been posted before I apologise (but I can't recall seeing it on here).

Is this shit true? Has it progressed any from the time it was written? All I could think when I saw it earlier today was "Holy shit!" when considered in relation to what the DoJ found out about the Ferguson cops. :D

http://www.motherjon...quota-cca-crime

But what made CCA's pitch to those governors so audacious and shocking was that it included a so-called occupancy requirement, a clause demanding the state keep those newly privatized prisons at least 90 percent full at all times, regardless of whether crime was rising or falling.

Emphasis is mine

This beyond fucked up! I'm not an american, but can shit like this even be legal?

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#312 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

Yeah, privatizing prisons is just fucked up.

If you really want to get shocked, look up what they do with the "rehabilitation" programs. They tend to come in two forms:
  • Nothing.
  • Private industries/companies set up on prison property and paying prisoners $.50 an hour to do the work. When I was at Slippery Rock University, I found out that all the dormitory furniture is made, supplied, and even delivered and setup by PA prisoners.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#313 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:46 PM

"there's a Uni called Slippery Rock?"

http://www.sru.edu/i...pages/home.aspx

#314 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:17 PM

It is better than the Sticky Rock uni, that's for sure.

I'm still digesting the Department of Justice report on Ferguson Police. In many ways, it is not a unique document, but the timing of it in terms of social attitudes, the black President, the black Attorney General and the destruction of the media-enhanced facade of "we finished dealing with racism" make this a momentous thing tp read.

And the investigation/writing still pulled punches bc the naked truth would hurt too much.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#315 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:49 AM

http://www.usatoday....d-man/24689183/

Maybe he was reaching into his pocket for a gun... wait...

We have a problem. A huge problem and I am so sick and sad in my heart that people are still making excuses for the constant every day murders.

This post has been edited by Stormcat: 11 March 2015 - 03:50 AM

#316 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

http://www.redstate....son-doj-report/

Good article from Red State. Not reading the comments...

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#317 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:17 AM

Now this is something else:
http://www.addicting...-businesswoman/

#318 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

View Postworry, on 26 March 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

Well isn't that just a big pile of scary shit...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#319 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 26 March 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 26 March 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

Well isn't that just a big pile of scary shit...

The one word that I summarised that article up into was 'Murrkr.

This post has been edited by Maark: 26 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#320 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

The NYPD has a history of this, for example Adrian Schoolcraft.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

43 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users