• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc

#221 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

And if you wanna know how backwards things can be here, while some locales have very low minimum intellectual standards, some also have maximum standards:
http://abcnews.go.co.../story?id=95836
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#222 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

View Postworry, on 05 December 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 December 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

This article might provide a reason as to there not being a charge on the cop re: Eric Garner... I dunno enough about things myself but it's an interesting perspective whether you agree with it or not.

http://nypost.com/20...-garner-arrest/

For the record (since you ain't in the US), the NY Post is a Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid and is never to be trusted.

Ooh OK. Good to know.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#223 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 05 December 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Just make policing a college degree as one does in the civilized world and all is well.

This is a nice idea. That being said, you'd then have to pay them more.

Paying people who do public services in the US outside the medical sector (teachers, firefighters, police) high wages is not going to happen outside tax-raises. And the odds of raising taxes are the same as raising Cthulhu, successfully.

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#224 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

I don't know. Seems to me raising a great old one is not such a daunting feat if we are to believe renowned historians such as professor Lovecraft.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#225 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

To those that look at the cost of a college degree:

http://market-ticker...glepost=3351996
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#226 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 06 December 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Paying people who do public services in the US outside the medical sector (teachers, firefighters, police) high wages is not going to happen outside tax-raises. And the odds of raising taxes are the same as raising Cthulhu, successfully.[/font]

Teachers and extremely young in their careers firefighters/police are the ones that do not have good salaries. Detectives and above as well as moderate/senior firefighters routinely clear 90k a year in just about every city and most town in the US, sometimes even up to 130k a year. Yeah, some of that is overtime, but it's a great salary in comparison to what teachers and the very junior firefighters/police get.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#227 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

We know the Tamir Rice case is insane. He was a local kid playing at the park across the street from his home, as he often did. The toy may or may not look real, but the 911 call mentioned it was likely a toy, and even if that wasn't relayed to the police, the cop shot him immediately upon arrival. They weren't interested in whether it was real or not, and never saw the much-touted missing orange cap. That's just what we saw, plainly. As it turns out, the Tamir Rice tape excerpt they released to the public doesn't show everything. What it left out: 4 solid minutes of officers ignoring the boy they just shot (zero first aid, took an FBI agent coincidentally in the area to arrive and respond to injuries). His 14 year old sister arriving to see her brother and being distraught; subsequently the police officers who shot him putting her in handcuffs and sticking her in the back of their cop car (the one they drove up in, the one sitting right next to her injured brother). They threaten to do the same to his mother once she arrives on the scene. All this while Tamir is there, shot but still alive. He died in hospital the next day, not there at the scene let alone quickly...it's unclear what those 4 minutes could have done, but it's too late to find out.

There was another recent NYPD shooting, not getting so much press, of Akai Gurley. He was walking down his apartment complex's stairwell with his girlfriend Melissa when a cop -- from a floor above -- entered the stairwell and immediately upon seeing Gurley fired upon him. Gurley staggered down two flights of stairs and fell. As he lay dying, the cop who shot him wasn't calling emergency, he wasn't even talking to his superiors (6.5 minutes of radio silence)...he was texting his union rep. While the person he shot lay dying. It was Melissa who ran to a neighbor's apt and they called 911. In fact, emergency AND their commanding officer both knew those cops were in the area ( weren't supposed to be doing "vertical" investigations of buildings btw) and tried to contact them, with zero response. That one is going to a grand jury too.

I don't know what's gonna happen but I think if nothing comes of the Tamir Rice case in particular there may be hell to pay.

#228 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hahahahaha white cops being punished for killing black people hahahahahahaha

what next a unicorn
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#229 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

The "if" was rhetorical.

#230 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:48 PM

That video gets my anger every time I see it. He shots and then hides as if the 12 year old boy who you've just driven up on and blasted is a cause for alarm. And now this horseshit. Honestly I wouldn't be able to stand it if I was black in the states but I guess that it's my privilege of being able to be angry and not fucking terrified.

#231 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:47 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 09 December 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

what next a unicorn

If people every wondered what triggers my right wing thought line..it's this.

This section of reality. I carry for this reason, cause the Rule of Law is broken.

If you know going in that we create laws for a reason..then don't enforce those to certain sections..why am I being taxed for this shit.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#232 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:58 AM

I must admit that had I been black and living in the US, I might feel it necessary to take advantage of carry laws too. Looking the way I look though, I believe - and that's really the worst aspect of all of this - that I would be relatively safe from the police.

#233 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

That's another thing with Tamir Rice though. Ohio is an open carry state, and you can look at it from both sides. Argument 1: "But not for anyone under 18!" Well he only had a plastic toy bb gun (that he borrowed from a friend, countering corollary 1a that his parents were awful for letting him have it), and those aren't illegal for anyone of any age. Argument 2: "The gun looked too realistic!" He wasn't holding the gun when the cop immediately shot him. The cops called him in as a 20-year-old suspect (black youth are routinely age-overestimated by others*), so in an open carry state -- from the officer's POV -- it still should have been fine. Either way you look at it, the killing was wrong.

Your intuition is right.

*http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/03/people-including-cops-view-black-kids-less-innocent-and-less-young-white-kids/359026/

#234 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 10 December 2014 - 02:47 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 09 December 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

what next a unicorn

If people every wondered what triggers my right wing thought line..it's this.

This section of reality. I carry for this reason, cause the Rule of Law is broken.

If you know going in that we create laws for a reason..then don't enforce those to certain sections..why am I being taxed for this shit.

Spoiler alert the increasing inefficiency of government regulation is because of, and in fact the target of, rightwing pressure, and not despite of. 'Starve the beast' is a thing, just as the otherisation of minorities is too (fill in your own catchy phrase for that here).
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#235 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 10 December 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

I must admit that had I been black and living in the US, I might feel it necessary to take advantage of carry laws too. Looking the way I look though, I believe - and that's really the worst aspect of all of this - that I would be relatively safe from the police.

But isn't this major issue? Civilians carrying guns in public. Possibly concealed.

You and I live in Scandinavia. Guns are rare. Ignoring gang crime the worst a cop can usually expect to show up to here in Denmark is some mentally ill person with a knife or somebody jumping on an unfortunate victims head outside a bar. In America you could be showing up to anything. Anyone could be equipped with a tool that can kill you instantly. That has to be scary as fuck. I also assume that it tends to make a cop less prone to negotiate if they see what the think is a weapon in somebody's hand.

I am not arguing that this excuses the above mentioned acts of negligence and outright cruelty. I am saying that this kind of working environment has to create a mental state where you are more likely to shoot first to protect yourself and the bystanders around the suspect. I wonder if most cops when they get a call of somebody with a gun in public aren't going into that situation shit scared and high on adrenaline before they even arrive on scene.

#236 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 10 December 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

Black people carrying guns to protect themselves from possibly racist police officers would be the worst idea they could pursue. It would simply justify anything the cops could think of.

#237 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

Not if it would be legal for them to carry. I mean, I understand where you're coming from, and I certainly do not condone a society where you would or should arm yourself. However, had I been black living in a neighbourhood like that the police would be about the most dangerous people around.

@ Apt - being a police officer in the US is not particularly dangerous, relative to other professions in the US that is. Living and working the US in general is more dangerous than in the rest of the West.

#238 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

A fair point to mention is that some of the strongest gun regulations proposed by a Republican government were almost directly in response to Black Panthers standing around in public and legally holding guns.

#239 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 10 December 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

@ Apt - being a police officer in the US is not particularly dangerous, relative to other professions in the US that is. Living and working the US in general is more dangerous than in the rest of the West.

And the counter to that is that the police officers are trained to shoot first if they think they are in danger, since everyone could be packing heat.

It's extremely hard to get any kind of statistics regarding how much this protects police officers.

Also, I want to note that the ratio of violent crimes for the UK and the US are the same, its just that the US' violent crimes are much deadlier due to the proliferation of firearms. This is something the police (and public, and everyone else) has to deal with. It's a problem.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#240 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 10 December 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

A fair point to mention is that some of the strongest gun regulations proposed by a Republican government were almost directly in response to Black Panthers standing around in public and legally holding guns.

Lets not go that far!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users