• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ferguson / USA Race Violence / Etc

#421 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:43 AM

Here's what a friend of mine said, and it's true.

The thing is, stereotypes travel.

The stype was there but the defense is immediately "we don't have that here".

Stypes about blacks in particular have taken root all over the world. It's why i have the same freaking conversations in every country i visit.

What is the ghetto like, do i know my father, etc. Etc

It's why the visual imagery of blackness/Otherness is so powerful.

The Dragon woman/Tokyo Rose /Asian woman image is everywhere

So is is the shifty Jap/Chinaman

We may call them different names, but the sentiment/image still is the same

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#422 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

Terez, on 16 August 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

Honestly, I love it, partly out of Schadenfreude, partly out of real curiosity, because I have had the Zwarte Piet discussion so many times with Dutch white people to no effect. I always suspected there was more to the story, but what can you do when you don't read Dutch and Dutch people of color are so rare on the internet? (I have always loved the diversity of this forum; I don't wander far from Discussions but this board has enriched my life more than I can say.)

I don't even try and discuss it any more, I'm so sick of not being listened to. They're all like "think about the children!" "It's a holiday for the children!" But they tend to forget there's a whole bunch of children who are being marginalised. Who are being bullied, who are forced at school to participate, who don't want to have anything to do with it. "It's a tradition!" Yeah, well, traditions are by definition made up by someone, and it's not like traditions haven't been changed before. Mayors who introduced things like Rainbow Pete and Cheese Pete were getting death threats by the thousands.

Shinrei, on 17 August 2015 - 03:43 AM, said:

Here's what a friend of mine said, and it's true.

The thing is, stereotypes travel.

The stype was there but the defense is immediately "we don't have that here".

Stypes about blacks in particular have taken root all over the world. It's why i have the same freaking conversations in every country i visit.

What is the ghetto like, do i know my father, etc. Etc

It's why the visual imagery of blackness/Otherness is so powerful.

The Dragon woman/Tokyo Rose /Asian woman image is everywhere

So is is the shifty Jap/Chinaman

We may call them different names, but the sentiment/image still is the same

This is so true! My younger sister was once so humiliated at school because of it. She was talking to a teacher (alone) when she mentioned my mom's a single mom. That teacher blurted out: "So she was someone's mistress, eh?" THE HELL? My sister, who's pretty lippy in most cases, was so shocked she couldn't say a word. She was seventeen. When she came home she told the story and I told my mom we were not going to let that woman get away with it. We wrote a letter to the school, CC-ed the teacher, and two days later we got two apology letters. One from the school, who were very angry with the teacher for stepping out of bounds. And one from the teacher, who 'didn't realise she was being ignorant.' Stereotypes hurt - no matter if they're positive or negative - because they go hand in hand with assumptions, and those assumptions are almost always wrong.

They make one blanket statement about a whole bunch of people who may or may not even share the same cultures, values and morals. There's been so many times when I'm asked if I'm African American and I have to explain I'm neither. I'm Surinamese-Dutch. But people seem to think all black people are the same and share the same culture, even though there are black people spread all over the world. The same goes for so many other ethnicities. And don't even get me started on how many people seem to hate Muslims for no reason, just because they are Muslims.
Be Your Own Hero

#423 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Lycaenion, on 17 August 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

I don't even try and discuss it any more, I'm so sick of not being listened to. They're all like "think about the children!" "It's a holiday for the children!" But they tend to forget there's a whole bunch of children who are being marginalised. Who are being bullied, who are forced at school to participate, who don't want to have anything to do with it. "It's a tradition!" Yeah, well, traditions are by definition made up by someone, and it's not like traditions haven't been changed before. Mayors who introduced things like Rainbow Pete and Cheese Pete were getting death threats by the thousands.

We have lots of Dutch members; I can't help but wonder where they are and how they feel about it. The Zwarte Piet discussions have happened on another forum I go to, not this one.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#424 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

Terez, on 17 August 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

Lycaenion, on 17 August 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

We have lots of Dutch members; I can't help but wonder where they are and how they feel about it. The Zwarte Piet discussions have happened on another forum I go to, not this one.

Most of the discussions I've seen on the internet basically say everyone who doesn't agree that Zwarte Piet isn't racist should go back to where they came from or shut up, so I don't read those discussions/comments any more. I don't really want that bad taste in my mouth.
Be Your Own Hero

#425 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

This forum might surprise you. Probably one of the most open-minded, intelligent forums on the whole web. This corner of it especially. That said, I don't blame you for being wary. I often wonder about the circumstances that have led to a fiercely liberal country like the Netherlands having avoided, relative to the U.S., even confronting issues of race, hence the Zwarte Piet discussions.

I asked a Dutch friend recently how integrated the races were in the Netherlands, and he insisted the only segregation was either voluntary (cultural) or economic (not as bad as in the U.S.) and I have to wonder how true that is. Unconfronted race issues do not suggest a healthy integration of races, and a quote in the WP article seems to confirm my suspicions. My friend was honest enough to say that most of the Surinamese live in or around Amsterdam. I remembered thinking when I visited that there were a lot more black people than I expected. (I am from Mississippi, which is almost 40% black overall.)

There it is.

#426 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

Terez, on 17 August 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

This forum might surprise you. Probably one of the most open-minded, intelligent forums on the whole web. This corner of it especially. That said, I don't blame you for being wary. I often wonder about the circumstances that have led to a fiercely liberal country like the Netherlands having avoided, relative to the U.S., even confronting issues of race, hence the Zwarte Piet discussions.

I asked a Dutch friend recently how integrated the races were in the Netherlands, and he insisted the only segregation was either voluntary (cultural) or economic (not as bad as in the U.S.) and I have to wonder how true that is. Unconfronted race issues do not suggest a healthy integration of races, and a quote in the WP article seems to confirm my suspicions. My friend was honest enough to say that most of the Surinamese live in or around Amsterdam. I remembered thinking when I visited that there were a lot more black people than I expected. (I am from Mississippi, which is almost 40% black overall.)

I don't know if Amsterdam is the place most of the Surinamese live - though that sounds accurate. There will probably be places - like Zeeland - which are almost completely populated by white people though. I

t was a shock to me when the media started to finally pay attention to the opposition to Zwarte Piet, because all the "underbelly" feelings of the Dutch suddenly came up. I have a pretty varied circle of friends/acquaintances who are all pretty open-minded and tolerant, so those racist comments online came out of nowhere. I mean, I've seen that the Dutch have become much and much more intolerant of Muslims, because of fear-mongering and stuff, but to know that anyone with a bit of colour was seen as non-Dutch by a lot of people, that was the real shocker.

I mean, even bring up slavery in a legitimate comment, and they're all saying how we're whining and we need to let go of slavery and stop being victims. Um okay, so, you guys get to cry about WOII and other wars, but we can't even bring up slavery which went on for much longer? And had a lot damaging effects, even to this day? Sure slavery is over, but that doesn't mean we don't get to talk about it. We get a 9/11 memorial documentary every year, and that wasn't even in the Netherlands, but talk about slavery in Surinam? Oh no, no way. That's not important. "Everyone knows racism is dead." Posted Image
Be Your Own Hero

#427 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in your take on this subject, I hadn't really heard of Zwarte Piet before and what you've said already is worse than what I expected.

Also the way to instantly prove any European who says 'racism is over' a filthy liar is to ask them their opinion on the Roma. It's as eyeopening and as pleasant as that Clockwork Orange scene.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#428 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:41 PM

I lived in the Netherlands for a year and was constantly surprised by the casually racist attitude of some people which seemed ok with other Dutch people. Svarte piet seemed to be just the surface expression of deeper seated racism. I'm not particularly dark skinned but I was called a nigger on several occasions (admittedly not always with malicious intent).

And yeah I'm constantly challenging people on some pretty deepseated racism towards traveller communities.

#429 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

Yeah, if anyone claims racism is not a problem in Europe they're deluded. I don't know much about the Netherlands (they wear clogs and look like Tapper), but in Norway there is a lot of casual racism. For instance, I live in a part of the city with a sizeable muslim minority, and people ask me all the time if I'm scared at all. Of course I'm not, it's one of the most peacefull areas of the city, but because there's dark men with beards everywhere it's perceived as dangerous.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#430 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

If everyone in the Netherlands looked like Tapper, they'd have a serious (possibly illegal) immigration problem on their hands.

I say this a lot, but I was raised in Confederate culture and despite having what I think are the best possible intentions these days I still often catch myself making almost habitual assumptions about people based on race from time to time. Segregation is still bad in Mississippi, much as it is anywhere with a significant black population in the US. Aside from the black-white divide, we don't have much racial diversity. I'm from the coast; there's a fair-sized Vietnamese population there, more significant I think than our Latino population (though that might have changed since Katrina brought a lot of day workers to the area), and also a smaller but still fair-sized Eastern Indian population.

At my music school, though, almost our entire string section was from south of the border, because high school music programs in the South are poor and we don't have orchestras. Just bands and choirs. There are a few exceptions, usually really nice schools in suburban (white flight) areas, but for the most part my university had to use scholarships to recruit string players from Central and South America (along with any super-talented musicians from other areas; they weren't quite as picky about the string players).

There was some social integration in the student body between Americans and Latinios, but not much. And I always kind of felt at a loss as to what to do about it, since I'm socially retarded in any circumstances. There is often a language barrier as most of them speak Spanish or Portuguese and some don't have the greatest English, but I don't think that fully explains the general segregation.

Anyway, there was this white kid with a fro who played violin during my second stint in college. He seemed like a nice guy, musically talented, etc., and one day he sat next to me at recital class or something, and trying to make conversation with him I said something like, "Is it weird to be the only American guy in the string section?" Which was just dumb (and a major oversimplification of my thought process on the issue). And of course, he responded, kind of contemptuously, "....not really" and then he probably went and told all his friends about it. Hard to blame him. But my response about what can be expected from people whose inherited social circles are racially homogenous, as is so often the case even where non-white people are a majority.

Writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates are bringing the sociological discussion of racial construction into the mainstream, the history of whiteness, how the definition keeps on changing. In my mind, the violinist dude is white. That perception could change if I knew more about his ancestry. He would have certainly been "suspect" in the past. Also, after centuries of blatant white supremacy, there are real cultural barriers. Kids in the US these days are much better at crossing those barriers but there are still lurking problems, even in the kids with good intentions.

Talking about it can be frustrating, especially since the work is never done, but awareness is the first step to fixing the problem, and to Lycaenion directly, you should by all means take whatever opportunities arise to rant to people who might give a fuck, because we might learn something and carry it with us into conversations with other Dutch people (the kind who might ruin your Christmas), and maybe some day it will make a difference.

There it is.

#431 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:33 AM

Illuyankas, on 17 August 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in your take on this subject, I hadn't really heard of Zwarte Piet before and what you've said already is worse than what I expected.

Also the way to instantly prove any European who says 'racism is over' a filthy liar is to ask them their opinion on the Roma. It's as eyeopening and as pleasant as that Clockwork Orange scene.

You can ask me your questions of Zwarte Piet - I don't know how much help I'll be though, as I only "celebrated" it during elementary school.

Morgoth, on 18 August 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

Yeah, if anyone claims racism is not a problem in Europe they're deluded. I don't know much about the Netherlands (they wear clogs and look like Tapper), but in Norway there is a lot of casual racism. For instance, I live in a part of the city with a sizeable muslim minority, and people ask me all the time if I'm scared at all. Of course I'm not, it's one of the most peacefull areas of the city, but because there's dark men with beards everywhere it's perceived as dangerous.

I don't think I''ve ever seen anyone wear clogs XD And we're pretty multicultural, so there's no 'one' way we look. BTW, who's Tapper?

Terez, on 18 August 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

If everyone in the Netherlands looked like Tapper, they'd have a serious (possibly illegal) immigration problem on their hands.

I say this a lot, but I was raised in Confederate culture and despite having what I think are the best possible intentions these days I still often catch myself making almost habitual assumptions about people based on race from time to time. Segregation is still bad in Mississippi, much as it is anywhere with a significant black population in the US. Aside from the black-white divide, we don't have much racial diversity. I'm from the coast; there's a fair-sized Vietnamese population there, more significant I think than our Latino population (though that might have changed since Katrina brought a lot of day workers to the area), and also a smaller but still fair-sized Eastern Indian population.

At my music school, though, almost our entire string section was from south of the border, because high school music programs in the South are poor and we don't have orchestras. Just bands and choirs. There are a few exceptions, usually really nice schools in suburban (white flight) areas, but for the most part my university had to use scholarships to recruit string players from Central and South America (along with any super-talented musicians from other areas; they weren't quite as picky about the string players).

There was some social integration in the student body between Americans and Latinios, but not much. And I always kind of felt at a loss as to what to do about it, since I'm socially retarded in any circumstances. There is often a language barrier as most of them speak Spanish or Portuguese and some don't have the greatest English, but I don't think that fully explains the general segregation.

Anyway, there was this white kid with a fro who played violin during my second stint in college. He seemed like a nice guy, musically talented, etc., and one day he sat next to me at recital class or something, and trying to make conversation with him I said something like, "Is it weird to be the only American guy in the string section?" Which was just dumb (and a major oversimplification of my thought process on the issue). And of course, he responded, kind of contemptuously, "....not really" and then he probably went and told all his friends about it. Hard to blame him. But my response about what can be expected from people whose inherited social circles are racially homogenous, as is so often the case even where non-white people are a majority.

Writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates are bringing the sociological discussion of racial construction into the mainstream, the history of whiteness, how the definition keeps on changing. In my mind, the violinist dude is white. That perception could change if I knew more about his ancestry. He would have certainly been "suspect" in the past. Also, after centuries of blatant white supremacy, there are real cultural barriers. Kids in the US these days are much better at crossing those barriers but there are still lurking problems, even in the kids with good intentions.

Talking about it can be frustrating, especially since the work is never done, but awareness is the first step to fixing the problem, and to Lycaenion directly, you should by all means take whatever opportunities arise to rant to people who might give a fuck, because we might learn something and carry it with us into conversations with other Dutch people (the kind who might ruin your Christmas), and maybe some day it will make a difference.

Thanks ;) Though they don't ruin my Christmas: Sinterklaas and Christmas are two different holidays here. And we have two days of Christmas instead of one. I believe the second day is called Boxing Day in the UK? Did you know that Coca Cola's Santa was based on Sinterklaas? Though he's a much more fun and magical version ;)
Be Your Own Hero

#432 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

A quick aside from y'alls' convo: It's amazing how things come full circle like this: http://www.complex.c...derate-flag-art
If the huckster-to-patsy ratio on the right gets much more top heavy they're gonna run out of people to con.

Okay that's all.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#433 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

I think the blonde guys with beards from Norway are far more likely to rape and pillage.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#434 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

Shinrei, on 18 August 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

I think the blonde guys with beards from Norway are far more likely to rape and pillage.

Historically speaking, you might be onto something there.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#435 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

worry, on 18 August 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

A quick aside from y'alls' convo: It's amazing how things come full circle like this: http://www.complex.c...derate-flag-art
If the huckster-to-patsy ratio on the right gets much more top heavy they're gonna run out of people to con.

Okay that's all.

Wow....he's just the classiest guy, isn't he?/sarcasm
Be Your Own Hero

#436 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

http://gawker.com/tw...g-of-1735920252
"Two Outside Reviews Find Cleveland Officer's Shooting of Tamir Rice Justified"

This does not bode well.

#437 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:22 PM

Yeah fortunately the guys saying 'shooting a child in two seconds flat is perfectly fine don't worry' aren't the actual decision makers on this but blatantly testing the waters like this is a move they should have known would be stupid, dumb and completely fucktarded
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#438 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

That's why they released it on a Saturday night.

#439 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:30 AM

worry, on 11 October 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

http://gawker.com/tw...g-of-1735920252
"Two Outside Reviews Find Cleveland Officer's Shooting of Tamir Rice Justified"

This does not bode well.

A link from one of the comments-

FrederickDouglass
10/11/15 11:02am
The police apparently were not correctly informed, but leaving out the failure of the dispatcher (who’d reportedly been fired from a previous dispatching job) helps make it sound like this was in some way the public’s fault.

-there about the background of the dispatcher also has some background on the cop who pulled the trigger.

http://www.cleveland...t_story_package

Interesting reading, to say the least.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 12 October 2015 - 06:32 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#440 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

worry, on 12 October 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

That's why they released it on a Saturday night.

It's terrible! The things people can get away with! I mean, they were caught on video, how are they supposedly justified?
Be Your Own Hero

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

30 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users