• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars: Rebels / Resistance

#501 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 October 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 October 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 10 October 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

Let's keep in mind that both TCW and Rebels were mediocre far into their first seasons. (I haven't yet watched any of Resistance)

See, but I disagreed with that. I liked them both from the off.

You like Downton Abbey. Your judgement is not to be trusted.

Yes, but DOWNTON was a stellarly written, and award-winning, critically acclaimed show penned by a multiple-Oscar decorated storyteller, with a global following. Which was so popular as to warrant a feature film sequel currently being shot for release next year.

I can't help it if your taste, on this matter, sucks donkey nut sacks. :)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#502 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:23 PM

That wasn't bad actually.

It's very 'Rebels' character-wise - Kaz sounds very much like Ezra, and Jarek is already sounding a bit like Kanan. Neeku is pretty annoying. Sounds like Baymax from Big Hero 6. Story is pretty basic so far, but... I kind of like the return to the podrace setup from ep1 - droids, banners, even Greg Proops back, and although that's not necessarily something I wanted reminding of, it still gives a familiar feel.

The animation... it's going to take getting used to. It just lacks texture. Cell shading leaves characters faces either flat empty areas of colour, or split by shadows in an attempt to add depth. The result on the people is not good. No textures, dirt, hair, scars, wrinkles... big flat areas on the screen of single tones. Poe didn't look much like Poe. I don't know, sometimes it worked, sometimes it bugged me?

The ships look good, so does the flying. (I haven't heard 'Team Fireball' mentioned yet, but there's a reason for the name - Kaz's ship is called Fireball because it blows up 90% of the time).

The hook for me is the setting. We have the beginnings of the resistance, early First Order, leaked plans to attack the New Republic - Leia, Poe, maybe Kylo down the line. TFAs totally lacked any world building or catch-up to where the galaxy was at, so watching the Republic destroyed held less impact, and no one knew who the heck the First Order were. I'm hoping Filoni will use Resistance to do for tFA's what Clone Wars did for the prequel trilogy.

I didn't like Rebels at first. One look at Ezra and co knocking Stormtroopers out with watermelons or something, and I left it. When I went back, it had grown. Clone Wars started as a 'cartoon' spin off. That got dark reeaal quick, and totally changed my outlook on the movies, and meant I could go back and enjoy them.

I want to see where this goes.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 October 2018 - 09:30 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#503 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:52 PM

So apparently I went through some sort of wormhole and I just watched the first three episodes (one 40 min one and two 22min episodes). I googled it after and only the first one's been released so I have no idea how that happened.
EDIT: (I just saw now that they were released on Disney's streaming service so that's how the website had it, damn, I thought I could travel through time for a second there)

Anyways I don't mind it so far. The scope isn't as grand at the moment compared to TCW and Rebels with all the jedi and wars and what not, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Elijah Wood showed up in the third episode so that was kind of funny, Frodo in Star Wars.

It's wasn't an absolutely amazing beginning but I think the show has promise, I'll probably keep watching it. It's not like it was overtly bad or anything. The voice acting is (mostly) good, the animation is different which, like Traveller said, will definitely take some getting used to, much different than TCW & Rebels.

Overall I'd say it wasn't bad.

This post has been edited by Gintokian: 10 October 2018 - 11:55 PM

In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#504 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:38 PM

What I like so far is the slow build.

Kaz is really naive and incompetent, leaving a load of room for development.
The series is supposed to be about the fighters, but so far they are out of reach as Kaz isn't good enough to get close. The most we see is what Kaz sees - the fighters racing around the Colossus. From the deck. I don't know, it just bodes well to me, like already it shows that there is a well thought out plan for the series in place.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#505 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

View PostBriar King, on 14 October 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

Huh I just looked on my menu. Ep 4 is listed tonight, Ep 3 is listed for 21st, Ep 5 is listed on the 28th.

Weird

That's strange, I know they released episodes 1-3 all at the start on Disney's streaming service or whatever, so maybe it actually is the fourth one or just an error? Or maybe they're releasing the 4th one on their service and regular TV gets them a week at a time?

#506 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:14 AM

As far as I know, eps 1-3 were released at the same time? It's been difficult to keep track but it seems a lot of people (US at least) have seen 1-3, so I was expecting 4 to be released last night.

#507 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

Bit further ahead than that. Just caught up, Poe, X-wings and runaways from attacks by the First Order. Even mention of Kylo Ren.

It's good to have Phasma too, she had next to nothing in the movies, at least now she's getting some backstory. I'm hoping Resistance will do for Phasma what the Clone Wars series did for so many characters from the prequels.

Animation has grown on me, some of the big shots of the Colossus, and the ship interiors are really nice.

#508 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

I haven't watched any since I watched the first 3 episodes, has it been good or even decent so far?

#509 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Ive watched up to episode 10. It's better to watch in one go if possible, the Disney schedule is all over and these breaks don't help.

It's been a slow build but the details and back story of these characters is just the foundation before the war really starts. Kaz is growing slightly less dumb, the pilots have an easy life mostly concerned with racing and patrols, and the chief is trying to deal with the increasing pressure fron the First Order. The
Spoiler
in his wardrobe was a nice touch...

It's building... and season 2 really looks like some payoff..

https://youtu.be/m7Pls-vYWwM

#510 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

View PostTraveller, on 18 January 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

Ive watched up to episode 10. It's better to watch in one go if possible, the Disney schedule is all over and these breaks don't help.

It's been a slow build but the details and back story of these characters is just the foundation before the war really starts. Kaz is growing slightly less dumb, the pilots have an easy life mostly concerned with racing and patrols, and the chief is trying to deal with the increasing pressure fron the First Order. The
Spoiler
in his wardrobe was a nice touch...

It's building... and season 2 really looks like some payoff..

https://youtu.be/m7Pls-vYWwM

That actually looked...pretty cool.

Spoiler

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#511 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

I also like that BB-8 is very much independent from Poe, in the sense that even though they've done a lot together, Poe is happy to let BB go off for extended periods on his own. (Also related, I wouldn't be surprised if BB-8 is the actual resistance spy on the Colossus)

Plus..those First Order TIEs look great!

#512 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

Episode 11.. Leia was awesome! Voice perfect, even after the late recast. (Which Disney seem to have handled well - no fanfare, no big deal, they just lostened to the backlash and dealt with it with a recast.)

Good to see that there is a history of Poe being hotheaded and not quite obeying orders from Leia. (Also loving Leia
Spoiler

No more details, but the show is beginning to do what I wanted - it's starting to give decent backstory and depth to the characters and events in tFAs. Which, is adding to the movie in the same way that the Clone Wars added to the prequels.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

#513 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

Ohh man... it finally caught up with events from tFA.

#514 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:13 AM

Yep I'm still watching. Two eps into season 2. Well into movie overlap territory now.

Its kind of entertaining, and it's more SWs, but... a page turner it is not. I dunno, it's just not.. memorable. I have trouble remembering what even happened on the previous episode.

They didn't capitalise or focus on the Aces; which the show originally seemed to be based around; that may change in S2. They haven't made much of Kazs background, despite his father at least supposedly being on Hosnian P when it was destroyed.

And now we have a character sympathising with the First Order... plot wise kind of interesting but it doesn't exactly go the way it was intended as there wasn't enough of a bond with the characters by the end of S1.

I'll keep watching it though as I want to see where it goes, and who or what ships might appear in tRoS.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 October 2019 - 07:13 AM

#515 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

What, the one voiced by the guy from Scrubs?

The Rodians in Clone Wars were similar.

At least the Aces finally got some combat.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 November 2019 - 08:59 PM

#516 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

There were a few eps of CWs with Padme and the Rodians, which had them speaking more normally - or at least not quite like Greedo.

That said, Hype Fazon has a particularly irritating voice; but then he is supposed to be a self obsessed, arrogant jerk.

Quite good to see him getting brought down a bit by actual combat training.

I wonder if we're going to see some ships, possibly even the Colossus, turn up in RoS? At the moment my only wishes for episode IX are that the Falcon and Ghost survive. I've got a feeling the Falcon might not.

#517 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:55 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 05 November 2019 - 09:58 PM, said:

Can’t imagine why not after seeing Ghost on screen. Colossus can definitely serve as a Resistance base/HQ which is very much needed after TLJ.

It might get destroyed at the end of the series I guess. That multiple ship shot at the end of the movie trailer looks like they've literally got every ship left to fight in the last big battle though, so maybe they'll be some Aces there.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 November 2019 - 06:55 AM

#518 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

Ok so I only just noticed that this is also the old Rebels thread.

After searching for the Rebels thread... because, you know, different show!

Anyway, I'm rewatching Rebels from the start, as my son started taking an interest, and we put it on at the weekend, first thing in the morning. It's interesting seeing my first impressions back from 2014.. it seems I was distinctly unimpressed by the stormtroopers.

Different experience altogether now. Knowing their full story arc just makes it better. Kallus is a real shit to start with, making his turn more significant.

The first Inquisitor has more background now, as he features heavily in the Soule Vader series. Now I can picture him with his feet up on a table in the Jedi Library, when Jocasta catches him.

We've just watched the first part of the Siege of Lothal. It's just gold; Vader taking on the fledgling rebel fleet on his own - Hera only just managing to escape; followed by Ahsoka reaching out and finding... Anakin?

This show is awesome.

(And, the thread title should probably be modified...)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

#519 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:57 PM

So this thread is Rebels and Resistance but not Clone Wars and not anything else?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#520 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Alright, updated.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users