Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#681 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:10 PM

Patton Oswalt does the voice. I know he has some clout in the Marvel world. He appeared regularly in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I believe he was in some of the theatrical movies (playing the same character, not sure though). And he is unabashedly nerdy about Marvel, and things nerdy in general. So, not knowing anything about this, I thought maybe with him attached it would have some level of quality. From the trailer it definitely looked like something that some people would love and others, most, would probably not be in to.

#682 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Checked out the IMDB, it does have some voice actors who have had their nerd credentials card punched (a few times for some of them).

- Nathan Fillion

- Whoopi Goldberg

- Jon Hamm

- Bill Hader

#683 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:38 PM

Any thoughts on the Eternals trailer?

From a visual standpoint what bothers me the most is the muted colour palette and the underexposed look.

#684 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:11 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 25 May 2021 - 06:38 PM, said:

From a visual standpoint what bothers me the most is the muted colour palette and the underexposed look.

I liked it a lot.

Actually, the colour palette feels very much like a Chloe Zhao thing...like you could exchange shots from this with NOMADLAND and I would not notice.

That said, I like that aspect because it's trying to tell a new story in the MCU and the visual storytelling cues on display are a part of that newness. It helps this feel like what it is, which is a "Here's the history of the world in the MCU as it ACTUALLY was and not quite as you had learned it."

It's a secret history movie (almost Ancient Aliens?)...and as such it has the palette of a history documentary.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#685 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:06 PM

In terms of substance, I think the trailer is rather cagey (a good thing imo). Barry Keoghan is good casting for someone who can be unassuming at first glance but rather dangerous under the surface. I am a little scared this might be MCU's Justice League though, if it gets stuck in demigod mode.
On the visual front I tend to agree with QT, it's Zhao's touch and I tend to like that kind of thing (at least in dramas). But I can see why folks who were excited for more Jack Kirby to be injected into the MCU would be disappointed, as this kinda goes in the opposite direction. And I thought Captain Marvel had some visual issues (much too dark aboard the ship, for one), so it's not impossible for Marvel to screw that up where it counts, even in more recent stuff. But like I said, I think the trailer is being cagey and wouldn't be surprised if like 90% of those shots are from the first 30-40 minutes.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#686 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 26 May 2021 - 12:52 AM

Yes, I know the drab look is part of Chloe Zhao's style, but then again, why go through all the trouble of outfitting all these actors with colourful costumes only to dial desaturate the colours in post-production?

#687 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:43 PM

So it sounds like Disney is pissed and making waves because Taika Waititi is in a seeming Throuple/polyamorous relationship with Rita Ora and Tessa Thompson, and some photographs arose of them snuggling and kissing (which are beyond tame).

You know every time I think that Disney left their "we must be PURITANICALLY wholesome with no quarter!" in the past, they do something like this and try to make a big deal of a directors chosen social life which harms no one.

Like fuck off Disney.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#688 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:56 PM

Ehh, if I was in charge of the management of a gigantic multi billion dollar company, who's employees are a part of a gigantic multi billion dollar movie franchise, I'd probably be a wearisome of them fucking around off screen in a love triangle too. There's a reason why work places discourage inter-office relationships.

#689 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 May 2021 - 03:40 PM

View PostAptorian, on 31 May 2021 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'd probably be a wearisome of them fucking around off screen in a love triangle too. There's a reason why work places discourage inter-office relationships.

Well

1. Rita Ora does not work for Disney that I'm aware of.
2. Love triangle is wrong, they are seemingly a consensual Throuple.
3. Why does what the three of them do on their own Time matter to anyone, let alone Disney?

"inter-office relationships" is really reaching when it's a film director and one of his stars (who is not shooting the film right now anyways) and his other girlfriend who is not employed by them.

#690 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 May 2021 - 04:00 PM

If I had MeToo scandals as the biggest nightmare for my multi million dollar production schedules, I'd prefer if all my employees were celibate. And lived in shack in the woods.

#691 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 May 2021 - 04:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 May 2021 - 03:40 PM, said:

3. Why does what the three of them do on their own Time matter to anyone, let alone Disney? ...

'Christian parents'/'family values' orgs looking for reasons to freak out and start talking shite about the Mouse and telling their followers not to spend dollars on movies, merch, parks, etc and boycott anyone carrying them.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#692 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 May 2021 - 04:46 PM

View PostAptorian, on 31 May 2021 - 04:00 PM, said:

If I had MeToo scandals as the biggest nightmare for my multi million dollar production schedules, I'd prefer if all my employees were celibate. And lived in shack in the woods.

To what extent are you comfortable with your employer telling you what you can't do in your life?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#693 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 May 2021 - 05:23 PM

View PostAbyss, on 31 May 2021 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 May 2021 - 03:40 PM, said:

3. Why does what the three of them do on their own Time matter to anyone, let alone Disney? ...

'Christian parents'/'family values' orgs looking for reasons to freak out and start talking shite about the Mouse and telling their followers not to spend dollars on movies, merch, parks, etc and boycott anyone carrying them.

It will never cease to amaze me that the USA is so unbelievably prudish AND so completely over the top over-sexualized at the exact same time.

You go to the UK or Europe and there's so much that would just be taboo in the States because of how puritanical they are about that stuff...We kind of ride the line in Canada being originally an offshoot of the Brits, but we can be prudish too...but never at the level of the USA heartland.

#694 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 May 2021 - 05:29 PM

If my employer was paying me millions he could tell me anything.

But again, this isn't about what you or I want. This is about corporate logic. These are the people who'll happily burn down a rainforests or pay people subhuman wages but God forbid an offended tweet goes viral.

#695 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

Throuples are completely wholesome and arguably more family friendly. Would you set your child on a two legged stool?

#696 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 01 June 2021 - 01:36 AM

These last few posts reminded me of a criticism Patrick Willems made about how romantic relationships are presented in the MCU, apart from the occasional smooch, characters who are in a relationship are so weirdly celibate around each other.

#697 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 June 2021 - 02:27 AM

The comics have decades of soap operas revolving around how the characters are not celibate, so one critique I have of the movies is how "turning off one of the main avenues of narrative tension and relatability" makes things way too same-y. We get the fight, friends, and funny without the fucking because the corporate overlords decided that area of life and the stories isn't able to be handled well by the audience.

I disagree with this because fan fiction is like 96% smashing characters into each other romantically and that is thriving these days.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#698 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 01 June 2021 - 02:55 AM

I would argue this is one thing the DCEU has over the MCU, they are not afraid to address this. Yes, our characters are totally fucking. Bruce Wayne is shown having a one-night-stand in BvS, Superman and Lois are clearly enjoying nights of passion, Rick Flag and his girlfriend frequently have sex, Billy Batson uses his adult Shazam form to enter strip clubs. By contrast Tony Stark is only shown sleeping around in the first two Iron Man movies, but after Disney acquired Marvel he entered a boring monogamous relationship with Pepper Potts.

#699 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:05 AM

Theoretically, Trump could save the MCU by getting religious conservatives to let go of their prudishness. That would be one of his few positive accomplishments... so long as it doesn't avalanche into a religion of maximal promiscuity and no legal birth control in order to swell the ranks of ChrTrumpistian white nationalists.

#700 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:20 AM

Tend to agree with the above critiques. The Netflix shows were better about it than the movies by a pretty wide margin. The MCU even had the perfect opportunity to do away with the "Hulk's pants magically grow with him" cliche and get real on the big screen, and they blew it.

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users