• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Flash

#1 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

Just watched the first episode. I haven't read the comics so am coming to it as a newbie, so to speak, but I enjoyed it a lot. Helped, I think, by the character being introduced last season in Arrow. Thought they should've had Felicity Smoak make a cameo, though - she did keep going to visit him after all!

Anyone else watch it?

This post has been edited by Serenity: 14 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

Yup, I thought it was a lot more enjoyable than Arrow's first episode. I'm keeping it on my list to watch...for now.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

Episode 2 was great! Built on Ep 1 and moved things forward, establishing some of Barry's limits.

This is pretty much the lighter side of ARROW. Same storytelling ideas, but without the bleak. Kind of like the Superman / Batman coin. Except with Green Arrow and Flash.

Anyways, I'm in for the long haul with this one. It's just really enjoyable, light superhero TV.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 October 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Anyways, I'm in for the long haul with this one. It's just really enjoyable, light superhero TV.

Yeah, I've found the first two episodes a lot of fun. The vast majority of shows I've watched in the past few years have had a dark edge to them (or tried to, anyway), so it's just enjoyable to watch something like The Flash for a change. Hoping they can keep it going.

#5 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

With so much grim (as opposed to GRIMM) television on at the moment, I've found myself looking forward to a nice light show like this that doesn't take itself too seriously.

My biggest issue with the second episode was the rather blatant info-dumping going on from several characters to let us all know exactly who/what/why/when/where everything is/are. I'm just hoping this is because they did the pilot so long ago, that they were effectively treating the 2nd ep like another mini pilot. With luck, it can now settle in and be able to tell some fun stories without having to info-dump like mad (the doctor is really bad for it so far).

I am pretty clueless when it comes to the history of The Flash as a character, but the set-up with the scientist, and the future is really intriguing.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 17 October 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

I am pretty clueless when it comes to the history of The Flash as a character, but the set-up with the scientist, and the future is really intriguing.

The only things you really need to know are that he has the Rogues as villains, which include Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Pied Piper, The Weather Wizard, Trickster, Captain Boomerang, Golden Glider and the eponymous Professor Zoom (AKA Reverse Flash). All of whom I believe you'll be seeing in the show.

There is also Grodd (hyper-intelligent telepathic gorilla with the power to control the minds of others from earth past [who's cage name label was seen crumpled on the ground in the pilot]) who is awesome and has a cool backstory.

The other thing you should know: There has only ever been one Flash previous to Barry, named Jay Garrick (whether they will mention him or not, I don't know) and he was the Golden-Age Flash from the 1940's.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

I'd love it if The CW renamed Flash to Red Streak. #AllTheNerdTears #Won'tHappenButWhatIf

Also, they can't kill Stagg! Wtf!

EDIT: I hope that Captain Cold is as nasty and cruel (and recurring) as he is in the comics.

Somewhat offtopic but it just popped into my head: ALSO WHY IS THERE NO MOVIE ADAPTATION OF IDENTITY CRISIS IN DEVELOPMENT? It's one of the best storylines in DC history.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 20 October 2014 - 01:22 AM

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

All caught up...

DON'T LIKE:

- the running closeup effect;
- the predictable beat-by-beat plots;
- the dialogue;
- Iris;
- that they are so overt with Wells;
- the freak-of-the-week pattern to date;
- that Rob Amell so closely resembles his cousin Steve.

- the sense of sheer superhero joy that carries the show even when i'm rolling my eyes at it;
- the Flash effects other than the closeup;
- the supporting cast other than Iris;
- the Prof Zoom/Reverse Flash plotline - and i'm wondering whether the yellow lightning ends up being Caitlin's fiance as opposed to the move obvious Prof Wells.

....i know this seems a little backhanded, but i' really enjoying the show even so. It has a sort of comic energy that keeps me engaged despite the things that bug me. I can give it time to get over the growing pains as long as that sense of fun sticks around. ARROW was a very, very different show from this, and i'm glad FLASH went in a different direction.

Likely on board for the season unless things go wildly wrong.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

i dunno, i actually like the Reverse Flash plotline. I think they might head-fake another suspect or two before it's done. But i agree with the rest of what you said.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 28 October 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

i dunno, i actually like the Reverse Flash plotline. I think they might head-fake another suspect or two before it's done. But i agree with the rest of what you said.

I like it. I think they're being a bit unsubtle about it, but that's fine.

Btw, the clever ref to Crisis on Infinite Earths in the premiere - Flash Missing: Vanishes in Crisis/ Red Skies Vanish - was just pure comic fan candy.

Also have to love that comic-ref-wise, Cisco is Vibe and Caitlin is Killer Frost. They may go nowhere with it, but it's a neat Easter Egg even so.

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 October 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostMcLovin, on 28 October 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

I like it. I think they're being a bit unsubtle about it, but that's fine.

Btw, the clever ref to Crisis on Infinite Earths in the premiere - Flash Missing: Vanishes in Crisis/ Red Skies Vanish - was just pure comic fan candy.

Also have to love that comic-ref-wise, Cisco is Vibe and Caitlin is Killer Frost. They may go nowhere with it, but it's a neat Easter Egg even so.

I think Caitlin will DEFINITELY go the Killer Frost route (since they are focusing on bringing Ronnie/Firestorm into the fray...I can see them making her meta-after-the-fact because she was so near the explosion when it occurred). I dunno about Vibe...but that would be cool too.

Cap Cold tonight! I think he plans a prison break via body tattoo or somesuch? No? Just me then?

I think Abyss nails why this show is entertaining. For all it's faults, it absolutely revels and swims in its superhero-ness. It's bright, and fast (pun intended), and just popcorn goodness. Yeah Wells is being played OTT, but the cartoonishness of that is what makes it work.

I'm not sure what your issue with Iris is though. She seems fine to me.

Oh and all the medium shot lightning effects on the running are GORGEOUS to me. The close-ups of the running ARE meh...but those wide and long shots? Love those!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 October 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

I think Caitlin will DEFINITELY go the Killer Frost route (since they are focusing on bringing Ronnie/Firestorm into the fray...I can see them making her meta-after-the-fact because she was so near the explosion when it occurred). I dunno about Vibe...but that would be cool too.

They've definitely left the option there, since the Collider thing was so utterly wide open.

The Killer Frost v Firestorm thing with Barry stuck in the middle would be a good story actually.

Cap Cold tonight! I think he plans a prison break via body tattoo or somesuch? No? Just me then?

Just you.

I'm not sure what your issue with Iris is though. She seems fine to me.

She has no reason to be there except as love-interest. Making her his foster sister is also a weird turn.
She's added nothing to any ep yet except for her standard CW teen lurv plotline with Eddie, which does nothing for the Flash storylines.

Oh and all the medium shot lightning effects on the running are GORGEOUS to me. The close-ups of the running ARE meh...but those wide and long shots? Love those!

Agreed. The closeups make me flash back (whee!) the to the 80s show, but the rest is kinetic and showy and great.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Re: Iris. I think they are just following suit with her Nu52 plotline which does start as innocuous friend/love interest (flipped tho, in Manapul's comics she was in love with Barry, unreciprocated yet, not the other way round)...but evolves into a more solid member of the book. I think they avoid "just love interest" aspect by having her not only be friends with Barry, but have grown up together as siblings...it's just not moved much beyond that yet...and couple that with her relationship with the guy who I assume will be Reverse Flash...she seems to have a purpose, but is a tool right now...so I can see that POV certainly.

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

Oh this one was awesome. Wentworth Miller was a cold ass Leonard Snart (CaptainCold)! Great stuff all round.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

Oh and I'd like to add that if they DON'T ever have Barry and Felicity together...even if only for a little while....then they are REALLY missing the boat. The chemistry between them sizzles.

Way more than between him and Iris.

#16 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

I'm just glad this hasn't turned into a show where they kill the bad guy at the end of every episode, like with
Spoiler

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 October 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Oh and I'd like to add that if they DON'T ever have Barry and Felicity together...even if only for a little while....then they are REALLY missing the boat. The chemistry between them sizzles.

Way more than between him and Iris.

As in they have some.

That's part of what i dislike about Iris - her chemistry with Barry feels tacked on and fake, like the CW put it there because CW.

Felicity... well... Emily Rickards just kills that roll, and maybe comparison to any other actress is unfair, but dominates a scene in her own geeky way and Iris is nowhere close. Even Caitlin, with all her 'waaah my dead fiace til they bring him back' has better interaction with Barry.

View PostPrimateus, on 29 October 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

I'm just glad this hasn't turned into a show where they kill the bad guy at the end of every episode, like with
Spoiler

Here me now, believe me probably by the season finale ... they'll be back. At least one of them probably will.

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 29 October 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

Spoiler

Neither one of those is gone forever, Multiplex especially is only contained.

The thing about Flash's Rogues Gallery is they actually form up a team called the Rogues, usually led by Cold.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:06 AM

Another thing about the rogues they touched on was a concept of a code... Minimal kills, planning, etc... (Unless nu52 did away with that...). It was a solid ep. Both fights with Snart were nicely done, the CW moments were minimal or Felicity... Iris started a blog thus proving again how profoundly useless she is...
That aside, there were multiple moments in this ep where the thinkymeats just went 'holy fuck I'm watching a Flash tv show and it's great!' .

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostAbyss, on 31 October 2014 - 05:06 AM, said:

That aside, there were multiple moments in this ep where the thinkymeats just went 'holy fuck I'm watching a Flash tv show and it's great!' .

This has happened to me a buch of times as well. He's always been a fave of mine in the comics.

The score is amazing too, the ramped up hero theme they play I love!

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users