• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Twin Peaks David Lynch just announced a third season

#41 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:35 AM

That was heartbreaking. Loved that episode.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#42 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

It's not Bowie, and in fact that voice is dubbed over the FWWM Bowie scenes. It's sad, but I think he was too sick to join TP or at least was focused on Blackstar. I imagine Lynch had his blessing though, given their friendship.

#43 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:02 PM

Yah the use of "threshold" was a pretty key word.

Also I love Charlie.

#44 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:30 AM

Yah, but it just made me want to watch the last two hours already. I don't even know what to say. I know everyone is headed to Twin Peaks now for a big convergence. I know there's still one missing page of Laura's diary. I know a huge # of Roadhouse scenes were in Audrey's head, but still somehow connected to the real world. I know the hum in the hotel means something but I don't know what. I suspect the giant glass box in NY was set up by Doppelcooper and meant to catch Coop but failed, and now Mother/The Experiment is after him (and might be controlling Sarah Palmer). I think Naido is somehow the real Diane (this one is a popular theory), the bleeding prisoner is Billy, and everyone being that jail cell is not a coincidence. I know Laura is the key to it all somehow, Doppelcoop/Bob have something really bad going on with drugs, and if Becky was really murdered by her husband that the old Twin Peaks characters are in for another world of hurt like they were with Laura.

I feel like the finale is gonna be more revealing than people expect from Lynch, but still among the craziest things ever shown on TV, and I'm preparing myself for lots of heartbreak even as Coop does the right thing.

And it's a longshot but I hope there is a cameo from Sheriff Harry S. Truman.

#45 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

Just seen ep 7, this one was just...damn...

The visuals were really up my alley

I'm probably gonna rewatch this one before moving on

This post has been edited by Itwæs Nom: 03 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#46 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:35 AM

Holy hell, he pulled a Lynch on us. Now I gotta do a deep dive into theoryland.

#47 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:30 AM

LOL both final episodes are up though, dude! I was wondering why you had such a positive reaction. Ep 18 is crazy good, weird, and confounding, but it made a lot of people mad (again!). I won't spoil anything about it.

#48 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:13 AM

As far as I know, but I use a subscription service, not live feed.

#49 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

My quick take is...Coop saves Laura from her own murder, but something (Mother/The Experiment/"Judy") snatches Laura away before Coop can bring her to the site of the wormhole to the Giant.

Coop and Diane start traveling to the spot 430 miles from Twin Peaks where a transition to another world/dimension/timeline/whatever starts...they head to the motel, have traumatic sex as a ritual of some kind (Diane is clearly reminded of her rape by Doppelcoop), and when Coop wakes up he's fully in another world where he's now Richard and Diane is Laura...who has already left him. Coop-Richard isn't as out of it as Coop-Dougie, but it's also clearly not Coop at "100%". But he's got his mission -- find Laura -- and he does his best. I think the name Carrie Page is a reference to the final missing page of Laura's diary, personally. Anyway, so he takes her to Sarah's house, and Sarah's not there, a Mrs. Tremond is (with reference to a Mrs. Chalfont) -- names we already know from that grandma who lives with her grandson from FWWM. Coop-Richard is confused but not particularly thoughtful, Carrie is also confused, and they walk away...Coop-Richard stops in the street and asks what year it is, Sarah's voice calls "Laura" and then Laura/Carrie screams as the lights go crazy. Which at the very least tells us that it's not actually a dead end, but a continuation of this mystic battle that's been going on.

There's also the fact that as Diane and Coop go up to see Jefferies we then see the Jumping Man (that pointy nose mask guy) run downstairs -- to me that symbolizes some kind of switcheroo or mischief going on.

Some people think this all means that Coop saving Laura is a folly, and that he's being punished in some sort of timeloop thing now. There IS a moebius strip thing going on when Jefferies turns the Mother/antennae symbol into an 8, which is also an infinity symbol and moebius strip itself, and then moves around the dot on it to a new position.

That said, I personally don't think this is a failure of Coop, because the Giant mentioned Richard and Linda from the very beginning of the season. I think this is just another step in whatever they're doing.

I have no clue what Laura whispered to Coop in the red room though. I think that's vital, obviously, since Coop's reaction is shock and fear and all that. But I think that's gonna stay a mystery that people have to fill in for themselves.

For the record, I have never rewatched the original show, or FWWM, and I never read Mark Frost's book. I might do all of that at some point though. There's also a special "Missing Pieces" thing that is full of cut scenes, and I've never watched that.

There's also lots of metafictional readings of The Return that are cool, like how the show is about aging, both physically and mentally. They're interesting, and I agree that there's a lot of subtext along those lines, but I don't know if it really should be taken literally at all.

#50 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

Stolen from another board:
Spoiler

#51 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

TP had such a huge impact on me as a teenager that I never dared rewatch it over the years. But started a full rewatch a few weeks ago and then S3 through last week.

Watched eps. 17-18 on Monday and have had nightmares both nights since then. I haven't had nightmares (that I have remembered) for at least 15 years. Still stunned, mesmerized, happy, sad, lost. :)

#52 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

I haven't had any TP nightmares, but I've definitely been feeling melancholy and addled. It's lingering big time.

#53 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Here's an interesting take: http://www.waggish.o...n-peaks-finale/

#54 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

View Postworry, on 07 September 2017 - 10:14 PM, said:

Here's an interesting take: http://www.waggish.o...n-peaks-finale/

Thanks for the link!

Sarah smashing the portrait was one of the things that disturbed me the most. Even having seen what she was capable of, in the bar. (Still haven't figured out the jerky interlude though.) That visceral hate, and the photo still refusing to tear.

#55 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:11 AM

#56 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

Finished The Return.

Still processing, but initial thoughts.

-Didnt enjoy it nearly as much as the original.
-18ish hours of Twin Peaks and i only get about 7 minutes of actual Agent Cooper? That was rough. Probably my biggest complaint.
-Counterpoint, enjoyed the Dougie storyline.
-Actually, really enjoyed most of the storylines.
-Jim Belushi and Robert Knepper were awesome as the Mitchum brothers. Candy? Candy? CANDY?!
-The ending? Meh.

There's more, but i need to let it percolate.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#57 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

I don't 100% doubt it, and Lynch & Frost have at least entertained the idea. But the way the season dealt with the aging of the original cast I thought was kind of true and profound and -- given the subsequent deaths of some of them, and some fairly tied up conclusions (for Lynch at least) of many characters -- unrepeatable. But I would never reject a new season if they wanted to make it.

#58 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Alright, I've digested it a bit more. The Return WAS better, but the finale just threw me off the whole thing, was not a fan of how they wrapped it up.

Also, Kyle Maclachlin as Agent Cooper was my favorite part of the original and to have him 99.9% missing from The Return was a big disappointment.

So, Return was better TV, probably by a long shot, but i still enjoyed the original better.

Probably going to re-watch both soon.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users