Malazan Empire: Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time - Malazan Empire

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Spoilers for all books, Spoilers unblocked and blatant

#181 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:19 AM

View Postacesn8s, on 21 October 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

You saw what 200 Ashaman did at Dumai's Well. The damane are the Seanchan equivalent.

Rake and Tayshreen, they would have to be balanced by characters like Rand, Nyneave, the Forsaken, etc. I know it is a little simple, but I would again call it a draw.

Anyways, I think you guys touched on why the Seanchan have not completely rolled across all the kingdoms. They need supplies, they have settlers they need to protect, etc.

Dumai's Well was an exception. Remember the One Power had not been openly used in battle for more than a thousand years. The Shaido never expected something like that. So it was the massed use of One Power against bunched up light infantry, who had no idea about the damage they were about to take. Like a battery of heavy artillery firing against a roman legion marching in formation. No wonder it was a massacre.

#182 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:25 AM

View PostBriar King, on 21 October 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

I think y'all might be looking at it to critically for what it is: Fantasy Fiction.

Just saying that within the context and constraints of the book an invading army of 1-2 million is a bit implausible

#183 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

View PostMacros, on 21 October 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Simplified to MAGIC
But what BK said.

I think the most pressing concern with the series is what is the actual tensile strength of Nyneaves hair?

Somewhat more than the tensile strength of those cables used to hold up suspension bridges.

#184 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:11 AM

View PostBriar King, on 22 October 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

Thankfully you should now be past most of the tugging now that her block is gone if I remember right.

How goes bk 9? What ch you on?

Yeah, Book 9 has the longest prologue I have ever read. i am towards its end, in the Rand part.

#185 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:41 AM

9 chapters into Winters Heart.

The only really surprising thing to have happened so far, was that Elayne and co. are undertaking a project to bring around captured suldam to the idea that they can channel. A good idea definitely, but will it work? And obviously there is a traitor in the palace. Who do they think murdered Adeleas?

The Perrin plotline so far has been painfully predictable. Obviously there are internal dissensions in the camp now, Berelain is using this chance for all its worth and the Prophet is making trouble. Nothing remarkable at all, simply a logical progression of existing circumstances.

The Faile storyline is also pretty predictable, though the infighting within the Shaido camp is quite interesting. RJ is however using this opening to manifest his latent BDSM tendencies to the fullest, which makes for boring reading.

Rand has grandiosely announced he intends to cleanse the Male One Power after hunting down the traitor Ashaman. This is going to end in tears. Unless he succeeds. In which case, the battle against the Dark One is half won. But this is rather improbable.

And Briar King, Nynaeve has so far featured in one chapter, and has already pulled her braid twice. Whats worse Bridgitte's braid is 'bristling' when she gets angry. Does this hair fetish thing increase?

#186 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

I'm just glad he didn't have a foot fetish.

#187 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

Some of the lesbian massage scenes mention feet entirely too much for my liking

#188 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

Not to mention all the nicely shaped calves on show

#189 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

I must have forgotten those parts and it wasn't a big loss.

#190 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

If he did have such a fetish then the Aiel would have been barefoot in a desert instead of just ginger.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#191 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

But he didn't like gingers all that nuch, as the series will bear out.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#192 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:48 AM

A funny thing happened when I was about to start reading Winters Heart. I reached out to my shelf to get the book, but lots of other things were going through my head, so when I actually sat down, and opened the book, I found I had picked out GotM by mistake. it seems Malazan wll not be denied!

#193 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:06 AM

14 chapters in, and well....

Rand finally goes full polygamous on us, when he achieves his dream of getting Min, Aviendha and Elayne in the same room. Of course they all bond him, though I am abit hazy on how Min could do that seeing as she doesn't have the One Power. Ensuing tears of anguish and gasps of shock at 'How brave Rand is, and how can he stand the pain, and oh he actually loves me, theres golden veins in his mind to prove it!" i felt like hitting someone.

Thankfully a foursome does not follow, (I was terrified of that) but he has hot hot sex with Elayne, which is apparently so passionate that Min, Aviendha and Birgitte need to get drunk as usual blocking processes crumble in front of such Dragon-powered passion. In fact e knocked out Alanna inCirhien with his sex. (I am so going to slap some random chap over this)

After that massive and uncalled for pandering to Rands ego, (notice how Elayne never said a single word about her anger with him about 'giving her the throne of Andor' something thats been a sore point for a book and a half) and some of the most awesome wish-fulfillment scenes ever written, back to the main book.

We finally see the Daughter of the Nine Moons and its a Seanchan! An imperial princess at that! This is going to be interesting, Mat will surely be re-introduced now.

My other main beef with RJ, and though this came through Nynaeve trying to teach the sea Folk, but its a pretty general beef:
In RJs world trust and co-operation are foreign words. The Aes Sedai, the Wise Ones,the Sea Folk, the Kin are all jealous and hostile of each other, and can only think how to subdue the other to ones authority and then humiliate them and dominate them. Relations are either hostile on equal levels, then equality breaks down and its domination/submission. All the characters come across as extraordinarily petty and narrow minded. Most conflicts are solved with one party exerting greater strength and having the other party beaten or made to do labour. No middle ground, no sense of give-and-take. And this same dynamic is steadily reflected in the internal dealings of each group as well. This is extraordinary especailly because its all happening in the era of the Dragon Reborn. His very existence proves Tarmon Gaidon is close, it can happen any day, week, month, or year. That battle decides whether these groups will even have a future. But instead of working together, compromising, making alliances, all I get is conflict, conflict, conflict. Moiraine was one of the few characters trying to get things done. Rand tries to force people to work together, but drives them apart more often than not. In spite of everything thats been said upthread about the problems of the Seanchan, I think that there formal existnce as a centralised, unified army gives them a big advantage over the faction-divided defenders.

#194 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 October 2014 - 03:15 AM, said:

Now that I think about it I'm kinda shocked you never haves brought up a certain relationship that I think was brought up in bk 4 or 5. I found that info pretty cool but incase I have the timeline messed up I won't say the connection I'm talking about.

Blanking on this

#195 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

25 chapters in.

Mat is really being encircled on all sides by lots of attachments. First he had to get himself and his men out. Now he has to get 3 Aes Sedai out, plus if Domone and Eaganin's plans go through, then them as well. The Gholam is still roaming about. Tylin is being as possesive as ever. I really feel for the guy. But it was sooooo good to have Mat back. It was like a breath of fresh air.Posted Image

Very interesting is Mats discussion with the Illuminator. Now if only he brought her to Rands school in Cairhien, there would be gunpowder weapons. Thats going to throw the balance of power.

I am now 100% certain that Moridin is Ishamael. And the two Gans are the two wierdos who got bumped off in the first book.

Far Madding and the new challenges it imposes is very intriguing. more later......

#196 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostAndorion, on 23 October 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

My other main beef with RJ, and though this came through Nynaeve trying to teach the sea Folk, but its a pretty general beef:
In RJs world trust and co-operation are foreign words. The Aes Sedai, the Wise Ones,the Sea Folk, the Kin are all jealous and hostile of each other, and can only think how to subdue the other to ones authority and then humiliate them and dominate them. Relations are either hostile on equal levels, then equality breaks down and its domination/submission. All the characters come across as extraordinarily petty and narrow minded. Most conflicts are solved with one party exerting greater strength and having the other party beaten or made to do labour. No middle ground, no sense of give-and-take. And this same dynamic is steadily reflected in the internal dealings of each group as well. This is extraordinary especailly because its all happening in the era of the Dragon Reborn. His very existence proves Tarmon Gaidon is close, it can happen any day, week, month, or year. That battle decides whether these groups will even have a future. But instead of working together, compromising, making alliances, all I get is conflict, conflict, conflict. Moiraine was one of the few characters trying to get things done. Rand tries to force people to work together, but drives them apart more often than not. In spite of everything thats been said upthread about the problems of the Seanchan, I think that there formal existnce as a centralised, unified army gives them a big advantage over the faction-divided defenders.
I think this may have something to with Jordan's general worldview but in-world factors that contribute to producing distrust include that the nature of the One Power itself, giving as it does individuals incredible power over others, tends to build fear and suspicion both between channelers and non-channelers and between channelers themselves; Aes Sedai hierarchy, for instance, is heavily based on power and potential, e.g. time spent as a Novice and Accepted, and arguably that structure represents and acknowledgement that unless power is respected through deference to it that the more powerful channelers will simply violently impose themselves on the weaker. When it comes to group dynamics, this explains the hostility and suspicion between groups of channelers, especially between everyone else and the Aes Sedai, as givne that the Aes Sedai are the largest and most organised group, all the other groups fear being forced to submit to their rule. A second major factor in generating suspicion is the acknowledged fact that there are Darkfriends in all walks of life who might potentially betray the cause to the Shadow. These Darkfriends probably also do a lot of work in directly generating an atmosphere of suspicion and hostility by promoting conflict between different channeler groups (as well as also in non-channeler politics).
I am the Onyx Wizards

#197 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

While he doesn't go full-on John Norman, his relationships overall seem pretty sad.

In my mind I tried to justify the narrow view point of the major groups (Aes Sedai, Nobility, etc) in terms of the stereotypical philosophies that seemed to be typical a few centuries ago. In reality, I think Jordan got lost in the minutia. I think an editor who wasn't his wife might have been able to keep him on task and maybe saved us a book or two over the course of the series.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#198 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

To quote one great review
When Jordan was young 'his sisters must have held him down and poured lye down his pee hole'

His female characters a farcical, if that's how women and men really behaved to each other there would be no people

#199 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostD, on 23 October 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

I think this may have something to with Jordan's general worldview but in-world factors that contribute to producing distrust include that the nature of the One Power itself, giving as it does individuals incredible power over others, tends to build fear and suspicion both between channelers and non-channelers and between channelers themselves; Aes Sedai hierarchy, for instance, is heavily based on power and potential, e.g. time spent as a Novice and Accepted, and arguably that structure represents and acknowledgement that unless power is respected through deference to it that the more powerful channelers will simply violently impose themselves on the weaker. When it comes to group dynamics, this explains the hostility and suspicion between groups of channelers, especially between everyone else and the Aes Sedai, as givne that the Aes Sedai are the largest and most organised group, all the other groups fear being forced to submit to their rule. A second major factor in generating suspicion is the acknowledged fact that there are Darkfriends in all walks of life who might potentially betray the cause to the Shadow. These Darkfriends probably also do a lot of work in directly generating an atmosphere of suspicion and hostility by promoting conflict between different channeler groups (as well as also in non-channeler politics).

View Postacesn8s, on 23 October 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

While he doesn't go full-on John Norman, his relationships overall seem pretty sad.

In my mind I tried to justify the narrow view point of the major groups (Aes Sedai, Nobility, etc) in terms of the stereotypical philosophies that seemed to be typical a few centuries ago. In reality, I think Jordan got lost in the minutia. I think an editor who wasn't his wife might have been able to keep him on task and maybe saved us a book or two over the course of the series.

View PostMacros, on 23 October 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

To quote one great review
When Jordan was young 'his sisters must have held him down and poured lye down his pee hole'

His female characters a farcical, if that's how women and men really behaved to each other there would be no people

I don't have a problem with groups starting out distrustful, because there were valid reasons: Aes Sedai have always held themselves above the rest, the Aiel are isolated in the Waste, the Sea Folk have alwayys been at sea etc. My problem is that for the vast majority these attitudes don't change, don't evolve with circumstances. And this refusal to change is funny/irritating depending on your mood, until its almost farcical. The very presence of the Dragon Reborn means the last battle is close. Its kind of a big deal and it really doesn't matter if poeple are being polite to you or not if you just lose the battle.

What is more irritating is that RJ can make groups evolve, but chooses not to. For example the rivalry among the different national armies in Rand's camp is mentioned many a time. Its understandable, Especially between Illian and Tear. But Mat manages to turn a diverse group into a cohesive whole in his band.

An example of the realistic attitude that would be more plausible oddly enough comes from Cadsuane one of the most dominating women of the Aes Sedai:

“Verin, he can do whatever his heart desires, anything at all, as long as he lives to reach Tarmon Gai’don. And as long as I can be at his side long enough to make him learn how to laugh again, and cry.” Closing her eyes, she rubbed her temples with her fingertips and sighed. “He is turning into a stone, Verin, and if he doesn’t relearn that he’s human, winning the Last Battle may not be much better than losing. Young Min told him he needs me; I got that much out of her without rousing her suspicions. But I must wait for him to come to me. You see the way he runs roughshod over Alanna and the others. It will be hard enough teaching him, if he does ask. He fights guidance, he thinks he must do everything, learn everything, on his own, and if I do not make him work for it, he won’t learn at all.”

She understands the very fundamentals. Rand has to reach Tarmon Gaidan, he has to be sane and normal until then. Saddling him with advisers, or trying to kidnap him, or forcefully bonding him won't work.

This is one aspect. The second aspect is the idea that if anyone disagrees with you, you can just have them beaten up. Frankly the White Tower and the Aiel disciplinary practices wouldn't be too out of step with those old-time Victorian boarding schools and their regular canings. This regular emphasis on corporal punishment is not just irritating, its baffling. These are adults. Why the hell should they even submit to it? Its not even like they are part of an institution like an army or a navy. Just random people beating up random people. There are numerous references to Aes Sedai having even royalty caned. Its insane. No actual power relation works that way. The existence of the Gray diplomatic Ajah is a farce existing in the same universe as this.

#200 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

My other main beef with RJ, and though this came through Nynaeve trying to teach the sea Folk, but its a pretty general beef:In RJs world trust and co-operation are foreign words. ...

Hardly in RJ's world... that's human nature and he makes it pretty clear this is after generations of distrust and concealing channeling to avoid conflict with the Aes Sedai. It's hardly unrealistic that the Sea Folk and Aeil don't just throwing their arms open to the most secretive and manipulative group on the planet.

Sure, the Last Final End Battle is Coming, but most of them don't know what that means, how close it is and/or have their own prophecies and ideas about how to deal with it.

I acknowledge RJ overstated the point a few dozen times, but it's hardly unrealistic behavior.

View Postacesn8s, on 23 October 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

...., I think Jordan got lost in the minutia. I think an editor who wasn't his wife might have been able to keep him on task and maybe saved us a book or two over the course of the series.

I suspect the publisher feels otherwise, because money.

What is more irritating is that RJ can make groups evolve, but chooses not to. For example the rivalry among the different national armies in Rand's camp is mentioned many a time. Its understandable, Especially between Illian and Tear. But Mat manages to turn a diverse group into a cohesive whole in his band.

Yes, and that's (one reason) why Mat is awesome, and Rand is not Mat. Also, you're not done the series.

An example of the realistic attitude that would be more plausible oddly enough comes from Cadsuane one of the most dominating women of the Aes Sedai:
She understands the very fundamentals. Rand has to reach Tarmon Gaidan, he has to be sane and normal until then. Saddling him with advisers, or trying to kidnap him, or forcefully bonding him won't work.

Sure, but if everyone just agreed with that approach it would have been a pretty boring series.

...The second aspect is the idea that if anyone disagrees with you, you can just have them beaten up. ...No actual power relation works that way.

Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan say you're wrong.
(Afganistan too, but who cares what they think ...)

The existence of the Gray diplomatic Ajah is a farce existing in the same universe as this.

The Grays exist to sort out disputes between nations, not internal Aes Sedai crap.

RJ WANTS the reader to be frustrated by characters' actions... but you seem to be trying to reconcile his world with reality to the detriment of your enjoyment of the books. There's enough garbage there to wade through with trying to compare it to 'reality' and how you think the characters should be acting.

Also, a lot of this is RAFO. That the plots aren't moving along fast enough puts you in company with most of us who found that element of the series frustrating.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users