Malazan Empire: Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time - Malazan Empire

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Spoilers for all books, Spoilers unblocked and blatant

#141 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostAndorion, on 18 October 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

This in turn brings up a very important point, which is the Seanchan numbers. The Seanchan general Miraj said he could muster around 45000 including local soldiers, and since Ebou Dhar is the front and Tarabon is a rear area, I assume that he has around that many again in reserve at most. So the Seanchan Forerunner army can have around 80-90000 soldiers. But what is alarming is the recalling of a moderate rebellion, where 30000 died and '50 times that' became slaves. Thats 1.5 million slaves, and that implies a truly massive population. So if the Seanchan forerunners by which I mean vanguard can have 90000, and the invasion has been planned for two generations, the actual army could number in over a million.Though transporting and maintaining an army that large, would be a logistical nightmare. I mean the only real-world historical precedent is the Second World War in the Eastern Front, and even that did not go smoothly. This is definitely something to ponder over.
Well, Seanchan's about 8-10 times the size of the Westlands/'Randland' if you look at it on a map. My estimate for the population of the Westlands is somewhere between 20 and 30 million (170,000 mustered at the Battle of Shining Walls, assume this is between 0.5 and 1% of the population and you get a total between 34 and 17 million; not good reasoning, but works for me). If we assume the average population density of Seanchan is similar to the Westlands, then we get a total population of around 200 million. A million plus military is very plausible with a population fo this size and a force of two million is not beyond logistical bounds.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#142 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostD, on 19 October 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

This in turn brings up a very important point, which is the Seanchan numbers. The Seanchan general Miraj said he could muster around 45000 including local soldiers, and since Ebou Dhar is the front and Tarabon is a rear area, I assume that he has around that many again in reserve at most. So the Seanchan Forerunner army can have around 80-90000 soldiers. But what is alarming is the recalling of a moderate rebellion, where 30000 died and '50 times that' became slaves. Thats 1.5 million slaves, and that implies a truly massive population. So if the Seanchan forerunners by which I mean vanguard can have 90000, and the invasion has been planned for two generations, the actual army could number in over a million.Though transporting and maintaining an army that large, would be a logistical nightmare. I mean the only real-world historical precedent is the Second World War in the Eastern Front, and even that did not go smoothly. This is definitely something to ponder over.
Well, Seanchan's about 8-10 times the size of the Westlands/'Randland' if you look at it on a map. My estimate for the population of the Westlands is somewhere between 20 and 30 million (170,000 mustered at the Battle of Shining Walls, assume this is between 0.5 and 1% of the population and you get a total between 34 and 17 million; not good reasoning, but works for me). If we assume the average population density of Seanchan is similar to the Westlands, then we get a total population of around 200 million. A million plus military is very plausible with a population fo this size and a force of two million is not beyond logistical bounds.

A 2 million estimate military strength would certainly be very possible. My point about the logistics was that its one thing to have such a large force in your homeland, distributed in garrisons and small forces, but when you are invading another continent, then you have to stuf them into ships and sail them across. this is where logistics under the constraint of the low technology that is present in the books becomes a factor.

#143 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

Its the other lesbian isn't it?

#144 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

Patience......Posted Image will start reading soon

#145 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostAndorion, on 20 October 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

A 2 million estimate military strength would certainly be very possible. My point about the logistics was that its one thing to have such a large force in your homeland, distributed in garrisons and small forces, but when you are invading another continent, then you have to stuf them into ships and sail them across. this is where logistics under the constraint of the low technology that is present in the books becomes a factor.
The technology is 'low' not it's not Dark Age. The Seanchan probably have Ming Chinese era level technology minus gunpowder and they also have damane, which are used en masse for assist things like mining (can be used to locate veins and as 'dynamite') and transport (the Seanchan ships can cross the Aryth Ocean unusually fast by co-opting damane to artificially provide favourable winds. Assuming the Seanchan are systematic in detecting potential damane, there are probably a couple of hundred thousand of them based on Jordan's stating that only 1 in a 100 people inherently have the ability to channel. So that's a lot of power that can be put to use driving the Seanchan war economy. Moreover, the Seanchan have been preparing this fleet for the last couple of generations (since the end of the Consolidation). Given these advantages, I don't see it as unrealistic that the Seanchan can't get at least a million troops plus at least a million support across the Aryth Ocean, if not more. Kublai Kahn was able to launch 130,000 men against Japan in the 13th century, and he didn't have damane (if he did, the weather wouldn't have been such an issue ) ( http://en.wikipedia....asions_of_Japan ).
I am the Onyx Wizards

#146 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

An army of a milion men across oceans would be all but impossible today.

They could have spent 10 generations planning the invasion and it would still not have been anything but impossible. Read about the the 4th crusade, or the Ottoman invasion of Malta, or any number of sizeable naval invasions during the medieval periode to see why it's not doable.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#147 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

A wizard damane did it.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#148 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

The issue isn't even the ability to create favourable traditions for sailing as you do with the magic thing. Ships simply didn't have much in the way of carrying capacity until, well maybe towards the end of the 19th century.

#149 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 20 October 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Wait, so the Pacific Arena of WWII just didn't happen?
I am the Onyx Wizards

#150 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

It certainly did. It required the entire industrial output of several nations and did at no point field an invading army of 1 million men, let alone that number in a naval invasion.

Japan had more than a million soldiers in China all in all I believe. Something like 5 or 6 million throughout the empire at its peak. They invaded, established themselves, stationed soldiers and moved on. You know, just like how the Seanchan would possibly be capable of housing an army of that size throughout their empire. Quite unlike the challenge of 1) sending an invading army of a million across an ocean, and 2 ) provide the necessary supplies for said army once they reached their destination.

#151 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

Egwene finally shows some backbone and some political skill but I would say that the biggest shadow hanging over the Aes Sedai camp is the fact that Sheriam who is a traitor and Halima who is an infiltrator are both extremely close to the new Amyrlin, so that is pretty ominous for future events.
The White Tower just keeps on fragmenting, Elaida is basically a puppet of her Keeper who is under the Dark, but if I read that last scene right Seaine's group found Black Ajah, right? I mean that's the only reason Talene would not take the oath. So logically this might lead to a secret investigation and rooting out of the Black, and then to an inevitable confrontation.

This should explain why the waking nightmare had Trollacs getting ready to eat the Sheriam and the others. It was a manifestation of what Sheriam believes will happen to her if she fails.

I haven't finshed the book yet, but I have to say that apart from the Mat part or rather the lack of it, which I assume wasa huge letdown to those who were waiting for this book at the time, this book is not really that bad.

That was my major gripe. Otherwise the book was fine.

A Crown of Swords was published on 15 May 1996. I didn't get to read about Mat again until Winter's Heart, which was published on 7 November 2000.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#152 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostD, on 20 October 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 20 October 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

The technology is 'low' not it's not Dark Age. The Seanchan probably have Ming Chinese era level technology minus gunpowder and they also have damane, which are used en masse for assist things like mining (can be used to locate veins and as 'dynamite') and transport (the Seanchan ships can cross the Aryth Ocean unusually fast by co-opting damane to artificially provide favourable winds. Assuming the Seanchan are systematic in detecting potential damane, there are probably a couple of hundred thousand of them based on Jordan's stating that only 1 in a 100 people inherently have the ability to channel. So that's a lot of power that can be put to use driving the Seanchan war economy. Moreover, the Seanchan have been preparing this fleet for the last couple of generations (since the end of the Consolidation). Given these advantages, I don't see it as unrealistic that the Seanchan can't get at least a million troops plus at least a million support across the Aryth Ocean, if not more. Kublai Kahn was able to launch 130,000 men against Japan in the 13th century, and he didn't have damane (if he did, the weather wouldn't have been such an issue ) ( http://en.wikipedia....asions_of_Japan ).

They could have spent 10 generations planning the invasion and it would still not have been anything but impossible. Read about the the 4th crusade, or the Ottoman invasion of Malta, or any number of sizeable naval invasions during the medieval periode to see why it's not doable.

View PostIlluyankas, on 20 October 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

A wizard damane did it.

View PostMorgoth, on 20 October 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

The issue isn't even the ability to create favourable traditions for sailing as you do with the magic thing. Ships simply didn't have much in the way of carrying capacity until, well maybe towards the end of the 19th century.

View PostD, on 20 October 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Wait, so the Pacific Arena of WWII just didn't happen?

View PostMorgoth, on 20 October 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

It certainly did. It required the entire industrial output of several nations and did at no point field an invading army of 1 million men, let alone that number in a naval invasion.

Japan had more than a million soldiers in China all in all I believe. Something like 5 or 6 million throughout the empire at its peak. They invaded, established themselves, stationed soldiers and moved on. You know, just like how the Seanchan would possibly be capable of housing an army of that size throughout their empire. Quite unlike the challenge of 1) sending an invading army of a million across an ocean, and 2 ) provide the necessary supplies for said army once they reached their destination.

All very pertinent points and this was roughly the direction I was thinking towards. Now the case of an army this large raises several problems:

1. As has been stated before, the carrying capacity of the ships. Now let us take for granted that thanks to magic you can build really large ships using magically reinforced wood and so on. Robert Reddicks first book is quite instructive in this respect. But increasing the size of the ship is actually a force multiplier. You increase the size of the ship, you increase the crew, you increase the amount of supplies and victuals necessary to carry, which again take up hold space. In case of a troop transport, this situation would be further escalated by applying the same principle to the soldiers. Plus the Seanchan bring with them large numbers of animals which again have their own special diet and special people to take care of them. So the actual number of the ships would be huge.

2. The next issue is speed. Now let us again admit that Damane magic would allow copious wind channelling which would vastly speed up the voyage. But how fast? Faster than steamships? Faster than the type of ships operational during world war 2? Highly unlikely, because if that was the case they would not need Damane magic to stop ships, they could run down practically anything afloat. But they do apply Damane magic. Again there is the issue of different types of ships. Warships would be sleek hulled and fast, but transports, would intrinsically be slower. The Damane on transports would need to apply a different amount of power to keep their ships with the fleet. Which brings us to our next point, co-ordination.

3. A fleet of ships numbering in the thousands, even tens of thousands, would simply never be controlled by simple visual aids like flag signals. To take examples from our world, the one major fleet invasion launched in the age of sail was the Spanish Armada and we all know how that fared. Even in the First World War, with the aid of radio communication, admirals repeatedly bungled co-ordinating squarons of ships andthey were dealing with numbers in the tens, not ten thousands. Read a history of Jutland and the lack of proper communication will just leap out at you. In the Second World War, during the battle for Leyte Gulf the Japanese bungled up their communications hopelessly. Both of these examples are of trained proffessional navies having highly skilled staff. Now apply this to the Seanchan. They don't have instaneous communication. Its still by messneger. Now I admit they have flying creatures, but their fleet isn't in one tight formation. It can't be. Its too big. Its wouldn't fit into most of the harbours. So how do you co-ordinate a force like that? The creatures will still need some time to fly around, and by the time they get back the situations changed. Actually events after book 2 sunstantiate this line of reasoning. In book 2 Rand and co. destroy the Seanchan force, which wasn't that strong, and blow up a few ships. Certainly not the entire Forerunner force. It took them pretty long to recover from that. This suggests they submit to the same hindrances of communications as the rest of the World except Rand and the Aes Sedai who can travel

4. Then there is Imperial practicability. We know the Seanchan have revolts. We know the armed forces role is to suppress them So in an empire big enough to need a 2 million, even one million strong army, you do not just ship 50% or 75%, let alone the entire army to a foreign shore. In case of even the tiniest flare up, you are naked.

Thats why I find the numbers implausible.

#153 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

This should explain why the waking nightmare had Trollacs getting ready to eat the Sheriam and the others. It was a manifestation of what Sheriam believes will happen to her if she fails.

But if that was only Sheriams fear why should everybody get pulled into it. Didn't the other Aes Sedai have problems of their own?

#154 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

I think Sheriam's terror was stronger than the other women's, thus her's manifested over the others. As Black Ajah, she's made the trip to Shayol Ghul, been directly threatened, maybe even abused.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#155 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

There have been more large naval invasions than the Spanish Armada in wind-power naval history.

The Mongols attempted invasion of Japan 2x in the late 1200s with 800 to 900 ships the first time (300 to 350 large ships and the rest smaller ones) and 4,000+ ships the second time.

The second time failed mostly because of the serendipitous combination of a huge two day storm and quick embarkation of the invasion fleet necessitating the usage of Chinese riverboats (and Chinese sailors unused to coastal landings, ocean navigation and so on).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#156 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 October 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

There have been more large naval invasions than the Spanish Armada in wind-power naval history.

The Mongols attempted invasion of Japan 2x in the late 1200s with 800 to 900 ships the first time (300 to 350 large ships and the rest smaller ones) and 4,000+ ships the second time.

The second time failed mostly because of the serendipitous combination of a huge two day storm and quick embarkation of the invasion fleet necessitating the usage of Chinese riverboats (and Chinese sailors unused to coastal landings, ocean navigation and so on).

Oh yes, Kublai Khan's ill-fated attempts. But as you mentioned yourself, neither of those two were succesful. Plus consider the rather short distance the fleets would have had to cover: from Spain to England for the Armada, From China to Japan for the Mongols. In WoT, the Aryth Ocean, from the map at least is Pacific scale. Think of the attempted Mongol invasion. Now think if instead of Japan they wanted to invade Seattle. How probable would that have been?

#157 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

So for every transport ship full of soldiers you have a second transport ship that has nothing but food and half a dozen damane on it. They channel air to push the sails, water to give the boats more buoyancy so they can hold tons of weight, etc.

Instead of even trying to make some huge communication network, every group of 10 ships has a group leader who has a map of Randland and is told to figure out how to reach Tanchiko themself. The damane on the flagship shoot a giant pillar of fire into the sky for 5 minutes every night, so ships that have gotten a little bit lost can redirect themselves back towards the fleet. If a ship gets really lost, they keep heading east and when they wind up in Saldea or wherever the group leader figures it out and heads south.

Oh noes, it takes so long the food is rotting? Good thing the damane can magically preserve the food!

And as the Seanchan say, they've been preparing for generations. Plenty of time to build a few thousand galleon- and carrick-equivalents.

You guys lack imagination B)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#158 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

I like talking military strategy, so bear with me a bit here:

View PostAndorion, on 20 October 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Oh yes, Kublai Khan's ill-fated attempts. But as you mentioned yourself, neither of those two were succesful. Plus consider the rather short distance the fleets would have had to cover: from Spain to England for the Armada, From China to Japan for the Mongols. In WoT, the Aryth Ocean, from the map at least is Pacific scale. Think of the attempted Mongol invasion. Now think if instead of Japan they wanted to invade Seattle. How probable would that have been?

Both Mongol invasion waves successfully landed on Japanese territory. The Spanish Armada actually got where it was going, but took serious casualties and broke down fast during its time in the UK. The Spanish silver & spice treasure fleets/Manila galleons also made 4 month trips semi-regularly (with huge losses in ships/people and still produced huge financial rewards).

In general, from the late 1200s onwards into the present day, it looks like the giant fleets generally get where they are going. It's after they land that things start going haywire.

More detailed looks:

The first Mongol invasion landed, wrecked shop and then got back on the boats because a big storm was coming that would probably leave them marooned without enough food. The Japanese ships radically outperformed expectations and killed most of the fleet on the water. Getting back on the boats and not deciding to overwinter in Japan was a terrible strategic decision.

The second invasion landed in front of probably the best coastal defense system anywhere in Asia and then got sandwiched between that system and a once in a century storm that sank their shitty boats, which they'd hopped back onto again. If the Mongols had bypassed Kyushu or been able to push through the coastal defense system, things would be very different for Japan. This is the most analogous situation to the Seanchan invasion, as they got turned back by what was basically unanticipatable "WTF, Deus Ex Machina?" events at the Battle of Falme and thereafter.

The Spanish Armada is only somewhat congruent with the Seanchan move in terms of overall perspective and the Armada actually did get to the English Channel and to the UK. But they absolutely screwed the pooch on two things related to the transport problem: they borked the food storage horrifically and they sailed the ships up to Belgium etc. with no place be safe when picking up the soldiers needed to invade England. It was actually a decent attempt that was only a couple years in the planning and it took some very ingenious thinking and fighting from the British to prevent the successful invasion.

So... I don't think the Seanchan thing is impossible (within the context of the WoT world). As D'rek points out there's definitely ways to ensure communication and food preservation. There's also the somewhat recent geographic information relayed to the Seanchan by Hawkwing and the spies in Falme and there's precedent in real life for medieval fleets of 4,000+ boats being moved successfully. Imagine if they were all Manila galleon size and able to be crewed by far fewer people due to magic...
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#159 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

I love arguments that mingle reality and physics with magic and fantasy. We used to always have the best debates over D&D games.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#160 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

Another example of a real world massive age of sail expedition which, whilst not anywhere near the size of Kublai Khan's second fleet ('only' 27,000 soldiers), was a Chinese exploratory fleet that launched successful military incursions in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, and even reached East Africa: http://en.wikipedia....reasure_voyages

Maybe what Jordan had in mind when thinking about the scale of the Seanchan expedition (and the Seanchan ships are clearly junks too).
I am the Onyx Wizards

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users