Malazan Empire: Brainzzz! Brainzzz! I know. . . ;-) - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • « First

Brainzzz! Brainzzz! I know. . . ;-)

#121 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

I actually agree with Pats review pretty much all the way through.

The only time I didnt was when he said ICE could never have done it justice in comparison to SE. This is ICEs TCG and as that it doesnt match up. But saying he might never have had the skills in the first place is a bit harsh. I was thoroughly disappointed with the book, though I didnt mind the Lanas Tog flip of the situation, but ROTCG and SW were pretty solid. A massive ROTCG convergence that shattered the realm would have been more suitable than what we actually saw on Assail. OST, BaB and then this do represent a downward slope, though I preferred Assail to BaB.

#122 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

View Postworry, on 22 July 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Good point, can I quote you on that?

AAHHH I'm so sorry that was supposed to be a positive rep for the quirky comment but my touchpad is retarded and click the red one instead

Can I get a Mod to negate this sloppy clicking on my Part?
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#123 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Lol I'm sure worry has received more than enough positive rep by now

#124 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

And not nearly enough negative rep, truth be told.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#125 User is offline   Nortros 

• Recruit

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Just finished the book yesterday and then turned to your review Pat. I wonder could you elaborate on what you think was really bad about the book? For example, you write that there is a lot of filler material, but what exactly is filler material in this book in your opinion?

Another question, you keep saying that one should judge Esslemont's books on their own because one has the tendency to overlook their flaws (as they are seen as mere complementary world building books for Erikson's work). If you do so, why do you criticise the ending of Assail for its lack of not giving an ending to the "Book of the Fallen" and the "Empire" series?

#126 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostNortros, on 27 August 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Just finished the book yesterday and then turned to your review Pat. I wonder could you elaborate on what you think was really bad about the book? For example, you write that there is a lot of filler material, but what exactly is filler material in this book in your opinion?

Another question, you keep saying that one should judge Esslemont's books on their own because one has the tendency to overlook their flaws (as they are seen as mere complementary world building books for Erikson's work). If you do so, why do you criticise the ending of Assail for its lack of not giving an ending to the "Book of the Fallen" and the "Empire" series?

ICEs books ARE the Empire series.

ICEs series arecalled "Novels of the Malazan Empire"

@Pat
I do not understand how such a scathing review merits giving the book 6/10, your strong dislike (hatred?) of the book (maybe even ICE too) is just exuded all through the review. Is it just because it, in the end, is set in the Malazan world that earns it a 6?

#127 User is offline   Nortros 

• Recruit

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostInane Babble, on 27 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

ICEs books ARE the Empire series.

ICEs series arecalled "Novels of the Malazan Empire"

I never said or implied that they are not as I am fully aware that ICE's books are the 'Empire'-Series. I asked why Pat seems to think that Assail needs to give a closure to the 'Book of the Fallen'-Series AND the 'Empire'-Series because I did not want to imply that Pat thinks that Assail needs to give closure to just the 'Book of the Fallen'-Series (which would be silly). But perhaps I could have made the point clearer. Sorry about that.

This post has been edited by Nortros: 27 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users