Malazan Empire: World Cup 2014! - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup 2014! Best Sporting Tournament in the World!

#41 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

I think elite soccer should move to a 2 referee model - one for each half (with freedom to move a bit). Asking these older guys to run around and make accurate calls at anywhere near the speed of the elite players is asking for the moon each time out.

The NBA has three referees per game and they all take turns rotating - and making calls at a much, much faster pace than soccer. The sharing of the load allows them to get in the 95% or higher accuracy rates for calls/no calls as independent and NBA call evaluators see it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#42 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

Haha this Costa Rica game is flipping entertaining! If for nothing else than it would take the racist cheating thug Suarez down a peg or two I hope Uruguay come bottom of this group! England and Costa Rica to go through.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#43 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Costa Rica were excellent in the second half. Joel Campbell looks to have developed into a proper player in all his loan spells, be interesting to see if he gets games for Arsenal the coming season.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#44 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

So nervous. Flipping come on England just don't embarrass yourself that's all I ask!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#45 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

England and Italy so far has been like a war. Long periods of boredom followed by 10 seconds of sheer electricity.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#46 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

What a couple of fantastic goals..
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#47 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Listen England physio guy when they said 'break a leg' before the game that was a joke
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#48 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

Johnson has had a terrible game for Inglaterra. Every time he is mentioned he's giving away possession.

Edit: Who does Sterling play for? That kid is talented.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 14 June 2014 - 11:47 PM

#49 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

Oh dear... such a shame considering they actually gave it a really good go! They didn't look too pathetic unlike the team that played some shocking games 4 years ago. So gutted but some positive stuff from the game.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#50 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Unlucky Pomgolia. Looked good most of the match up until the shots at goal.

Was Sturridge the only guy who was able to practice with the World Cup ball before the match? He and Sterling had absolute blinders, and once again Wayne Rooney showed how overrated he is.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 15 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#51 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

Yeah Rooney is lazy. Needs to be set aside for the younger talent. Heck even Welbeck was more inspiring than Rooney tonight.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#52 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

Rooney is a fat fuck, and a bald fuck. Fuck that fuck.
Posted Image

#53 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

I think the stat was 689 World Cup minutes without a goal, which would pretty impressive except I could beat that. Come on Roy, give me a chance.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#54 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

Japan v Cote D'Ivoire was a cracker! All 3 goals were brilliant, and CDI's 2 in 98 seconds apparently set a new WC finals record for consecutive goals.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#55 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 14 June 2014 - 11:45 PM, said:

Edit: Who does Sterling play for? That kid is talented.

Sterling plays for Liverpool. He's usually switching sides with Luis Suarez (who plays for Uruguay in this World Cup) with Sterling/Coutinho underneath as a distributor.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#56 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Wow, what a last minute goal from Switzerland. God, this World Cup is AWESOME

France-Honduras so far the most predictable game of the tournament. Hoping for some fireworks with Argentina-Bosnia!
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#57 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:30 AM

Didn't watch any football yesterday. Must be why I felt so hollow when I woke up...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#58 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Costa rica stuffed my accumulator for Saturday. But my opening triple came off. Belgium winning today would sort my second win, 2/3 wouldn't be a bad start. Have the argues to win overall and put Suarez down for golden boot, before his injury obviously. Oh well
didn't see much footy over the weekend, quite drunk.

#59 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 14 June 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 14 June 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

The Spanish gave up the sidelines by putting David Silva on the right wing (he always goes in the middle and makes right to left runs all the way to the other side of the field) and Holland used that to give Blind looots of time to give absolute beauties of crosses to Robben and Van Persie or have Sneidjer work the ball around a bit.

The problem wasn't simply that Silva comes inside- after all, Iniesta does that all the time too from the other side- but that Azpilequeta wasn't getting forward enough to get to Blind. It was an inspired tactical decision by Van Gaal though to use wing-backs- it put them in just the right position, too far back for the Spanish fbs to comfortably close them down (Alba managed better because he's much faster, but it was still there) but close enough for the Dutch midfield to be able to easily find them, making them the perfect safe release pass and nullifying much of the usefulness of Spain's high-pressing game. And with Blind's long-passing and crossing, as you say, that made for an incredibly effective attacking outlet as well.

Blind may be underscouted

It's weird because this seems to be true- I certainly hadn't heard or read much about him before this, or noticed him much myself (though I don't watch Ajax much), but he's Dutch player of the year and reportedly one of Van Gaal's transfer targets once he starts his new job, so he really shouldn't have been such a surprise.

Blind has long had the "only there because of the surname" monniker attached due to his father being the 'legendary' Danny Blind (libero in the 1995 team, Ajax manager and now assistant to Van Gaal). Blind has also been defensively rather suspect in the standard 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 variants due to a low top speed and a lack of physicality.
However, he was played in a defensive midfielder role since january at Ajax (instead of playing left back) and has been extremely good there. I wouldn't say he's ready to be the left back for ManUnited, though, and I'd be surprised if Van Gaal is going to cough up 10 mln plus for Blind, even if that's a pittance compared to what Moyes was going to offer for Shaw.

In the 5-3-2/3-5-2 Van Gaal used against Spain, Blinds defensive deficiencies were being shored up by having a centre back much closer than he'd have in the 4-3-3. If played as a full-back, he'll be badly exposed by the likes of Sterling, Walcott and even Lennon in a 1-on-1.

I guess the main tactical move was not so much the formation, but going for man-to-man coverage on Xavi (and partly on Iniesta as well) while playing a high line. It condensed the playing field and the centre of the park was filled with midfielders cancelling each other out. Sneijder was left to chasing people like he was in a warming up rondo, but Van Gaal was very happy to make that trade-off, creating a 5 against 4 situation (with Robben and RVP closing down on Alonso and Busquets) where Xavi was never allowed to turn and play a through-ball. The few times he and Iniesta managed exactly that, it was immediately dangerous.

I guess the answer against the Dutch 5-3-2 flanking game is to play a deeper defensive line, or fullbacks and wingers. I doubt the 5-3-2 is going to work quite the same against a side who doesn't give us room behind the defense and manages to lock down Sneijder. That leaves De Jong (please no!) and De Guzman (well, maybe) as playmakers.... scary prospect. In Spain's case, playing a 3-5-2 themselves could also work. Against Australia, I expect more of a 'classic' Dutch 4-3-3.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#60 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

It's nice to see that France has managed to produce a team that is actually willing to do work and cooperate. It was half a miracle that Honduras didn't seriously injure anyone, but at least their frustration made the game a lot more exciting.

Germany v Portugal today will be a blast.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users