Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recreation of Darujhistan Need geographic details

#1 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi all - I'm currently in the process of recreating Darujhistan in the video game of Minecraft, and I'm having trouble finding relevant descriptions of some aspects of the city. I don't own a kindle, so I can't use the search function. I wanted to create this topic in case anyone remembers specific details about Darujhistan off the top of their head, or is currently re-reading and recently stumbled across something relevant.

What I'm looking for are descriptions of some of the more important buildings, the wharfs / docks, where certain buildings are located (if they're not on the map), and general characteristics (i.e. lit by blue gas-powered light). Most of the information I have is incomplete (i.e. where is the duelling school in the Gadrobi district, and what does it looks like?).

Here's the info I currently have:

Levels of Darujhistan:
- Gadrobi & Marsh District (lowest - from what I can tell they're both on the same level)
- Lakefront District
- Daru District
- Estate District
- Majesty Hill (Highest)

Duelling School: Gadrobi District
Eldra Iron Mongers: Far west of the city (I believe they're outside the two-ox gate)
Majesty Hill: Has stairs that "switch back and forth" lined by monuments and family shrines, and is surrounded by a narrow park
Baruk's Estate: Very prim and proper, has a fountain, gate, and lots of shrubbery
Krul's Tower: Has a belfry where a bell used to be, lots of room in the wine cellar
Quip's Bar: Made of sandstone, leaning precariously
Despot's Barbican: This one is confusing me. From what I know a barbican is a sort of gatehouse / entryway with holes for arrows, pitch, etc. On the map, this is located on top of a random hill, but it is described as being a remnant of the castle on Majesty Hill. Also what is the point of having a barbican on top of a hill, isn't it supposed to be at the entrance to a castle / tower or something?
Lady Simtal's Estate:
Orr Estate:
Lim Estate:
Cemetery:
Phoenix Inn:
Hinters Tower:
Worrytown:
City Walls:
etc.

Here's a map of what I have so far. The height of each level is very rough at the moment, as are the lines, which I simply hand-painted to give myself an idea of space.

Posted Image

+rep to all you handsome fellows who help out, thanks so much!

This post has been edited by Dadding: 15 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

I don't have answers to any of your requests, but the work you've done so far seems great! Any chance of some screenshots from in-game?

#3 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 May 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

I don't have answers to any of your requests, but the work you've done so far seems great! Any chance of some screenshots from in-game?

Thanks for the kind words. There's not much to see right now. It's mostly just grass and paths, but here it is in all its glory:
Spoiler

I do have the city walls planned out for the most part though, here they are:
Spoiler

And I do plan on porting over some elements from my other builds to reduce the workload. Here's a sewer stretch, shipyard, and part of a dock that will most likely feature somehow or other in the city:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 12 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

#4 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Aw man, shame you weren't around when we had a server going with a few of us playing. Had a Moon's Spawn and an Azath and the works (and a lot of random non-Malazan stuff.)

Edit: Also, accidental cake thieves. I'll change that avatar one day.

This post has been edited by Kanubis: 12 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#5 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostKanubis, on 12 May 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Aw man, shame you weren't around when we had a server going with a few of us playing. Had a Moon's Spawn and an Azath and the works (and a lot of random non-Malazan stuff.)

I would've liked to have seen that! I don't know how avidly you've been following the Minecraft topic, but there's a new server up using the realms feature. It's pretty new, haven't even tackled the bosses yet,

#6 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

Finishing placing a bit of the wall today. Diagonal walls are a pain and don't look as nice, so I'm going about simplifying the walls to make the majority of them straight (changes in red). I'm debating seriously changing the position of the wall that houses the Two Ox Gate (the one with a star) so that it's straight. Not as accurate, but a lot easier to make. Let me know what you guys think.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dadding: 15 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostKanubis, on 12 May 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

I also used some of your wood to make the sign that said I was sorry about the cake.

Sorry about that.

#8 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Have you checked out the Wikia, Dadding?

http://malazan.wikia...iki/Darujhistan

Might contain a few extra bits of info.

#9 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostEgwene, on 20 May 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Have you checked out the Wikia, Dadding?

http://malazan.wikia...iki/Darujhistan

Might contain a few extra bits of info.

I have, but looking over it again gave me a bit more insight. Wooden gates to the Daru district, and portcullis to the Estate district!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users