• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

THE EXPANSE TV series Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck's books hit the small screen

#61 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Those specific three individuals are supposed to look tall and out of place - even on Ceres.

They are the ones who go out into the asteroids and stay there - the real Belters. Ceres is not truly Belter territory as the lanky ones have it.

I doubt they let this one go because the physical differences between Belters, Ceresians, and Earthers/Martians will be a key plot point in the "why" of events unfolding as they do. They emphasized this with Avarsarala's second scene being the torture of a Belter, so that's where I'm guesstimating from.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#62 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

14th
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#63 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES

SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST
FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

Allegedly due to poor ratings and/or a leak, accidental or deliberate who cares
SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES! SYFY AND SPACE HAVE THE FIRST FOUR EPS ON THEIR SITES!

#65 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Why does syfy hate the UK? It's not even mentioned on the UK website :p

#66 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

So, have only watched the first ep so far...but REALLY, REALLY enjoyed the shit out of it. They've nailed almost everything for me. I think my only stumbling block so far is the guy they chose for Holden...cause in the books he comes across as older and more grizzled/world-weary. Otherwise, spot bloody on. The Ceres station lower levels is perfect for how I envisioned it in my head.

Sidenote: The girl playing Naomi played a character in HEROES REBORN as well. Very cool actress!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#67 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

Holy shit. I just started episode 4. This show absolutely does justice to the books and absolutely rocks. It's gotten better each episode.

#68 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 December 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

I liked Ade (Nora on Being Humans)

I met her. She's literally that gorgeous in person, and she's really nice.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#69 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

All caught up and wow they are doing a great great job with this show.

The additional Avasarala plotline is meshing well, the tension is awesome, the characters nicely ambiguous.

The Donnager sequence was really well done in ep 4. They couldn't do everything from the book, but what they did worked nicely and what they added didn't dull it at all.

Am still finding their inconsistent attempts at talll skinny Belters to be a bit jarring (the guys Havelock dealt with by example), but whatever.

This show deserves some serious eyeball numbers just based on these four eps. Hope they succeed.

#70 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'm actually really glad that Avasarala's plotline has shown up in the show for the book she's not in yet...as it gives the faceless earth decisions in Book 1 something to stand with. A face to represent, which makes it deeper.

#71 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

Caught up.

I'm not the biggest fan of all the added paranoia/suspicion/arguing/threats between the main cast. All they seem to do is bicker at each other, and as a result they don't seem very professional. Everyone is so angry all the time.

I guess because TV DRAMAAAAAAAS!

Kinda breaks any of the book's themes about sharing the truth, as well as any sense of Holden's idealism, though.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#72 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

I think that'll come in later. Right now, they're trying to paint the characters in broad strokes. Hopefully, the depth and nuance will come now that they're on their own.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

#73 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

View PostD, on 18 December 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

I'm not the biggest fan of all the added paranoia/suspicion/arguing/threats between the main cast. All they seem to do is bicker at each other, and as a result they don't seem very professional. Everyone is so angry all the time.

Oh thank gods. I thought it was just me and I was remembering the books wrong. My wife is like "they all kind of hate each other don't they?" and I'm trying to tell her that in the book there was a lot more camaraderie and much less suspicion. I mean Amos is a straight up DICK to Holden like all the time for the first two eps...I don't recall that kind of animosity in the book. I could be wrong.

But yeah, it rankles that they are all up in each others faces constantly. It's incongruous too...They'll have a nice back patting moment followed by angry as fuck accusations. I don't get it.

#74 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

All caught up now to epi 4.

Mother of fucking GAWD!

Spoiler

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#75 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:16 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

Yea no way I'm watching 3-4 this early. I ll wait each week. I'd hate the long wait to 5 otherwise

I understand what you're saying, I really do. But I have no self-control.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#76 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

I liked the additional personality they're giving Holden's crew. Amos and Alex were pretty much just names until well after the Donnager, and Naomi not much more.
Their home and a few hundred friends have been blown up and they were arrested and had their dirty laundry aired... Some sniping isn't rediculous. They still pulled together when the leak happened and again the get to the Tachi.

#77 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:00 AM

We'll see how it goes in the later episodes. I'm just afraid it's going to be too "oh, well now that we had that one episode where we helped each other we're all happypants". Likewise, Alex is a transport pilot now, so either the Roci's involvement is going to change in some upcoming events or he is going to (unbelievably?) grow some amazing piloting skills out of nowhere.

It's too late for Holden, though. He's already been too angry/brash and outright accused Mars publicly, so they can't do the "I just give people the truth" idealism of his, at least not completely (which means that entire theme is probably capoots).

I wonder if part of it is that they've been shrinking all the timings. I wouldn't have so much problems believing the characters have changed a lot when suddenly stuck together for days/weeks (as they are book-wise on the Knight and the first Roci trip). In the show, the flight from the Scopuli to the Donnager is only 4 hours, so they can't do that. (Or, conversely, I guess they felt the need to make it 4 hours because they wanted the crew to still not be getting along.)

Too bad about the Martian navy folks, though. I rather liked the contrast between the mobs of Ceres, the slackers of the Cant, and the ultra-professionalism of the military. Show-wise doesn't seem like Ceres and the MCRN are any different.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#78 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:45 AM

Have we really seen Ceres and the OPA act yet? Miller's cops are an Earth Corp.

#79 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

At the finale of CALIBAN'S WAR... holyfuck.

...also, Ava' is a great character and I'm glad they worked her into the show early.

#80 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

True. Fuck.