• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warbreaker

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

Due to Words of Radiance I decided to finish this book. I read some of it for free when he was doing the book chapter by chapter online as an inside look into how he writes (Awesome Idea). Terrible Book! The characters are asanine, the plot meandering, the magic system is explained when your 90 percent into the book. The villain is a character we barely we know, fighting for a motive we cant understand (the background to it is mentioned in the barest of detail) for a people we know even less about.

Words of radiance link up below
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 23 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

WAHOO THERE SPORT, NICE MASSIVE SPOILER FOR A JUST-RELEASED BOOK WITH NO WARNING

Warbreaker is a pretty good example of Sanderson Heroine Syndrome, where his female protagonists all sound the same only in this book there are two at once. One of his weakest novels, definitely, but also free so can't complain too bad considering all his progress.

The connection was stuff like talk of vacations, constant colour metaphors, the coloured rock game that Lightsong did etc.

e: see if you can edit the title to 'Warbreaker reference in Words of Radiance' or something cause seriously, dick move

e2: I don't know if it's even been out for a week yet and you're spoiling end of book surprises completely openly, please be more considerate

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 23 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Good point Illy, Just did not occur to me. I was not even thinking how I was commenting about two books at once.

I will also just add that I lose respect for the authors who praise this book so highly. I understand that its something that is done in the inudsutry. Authors praise other authors and get praise in return and it's a way of handing out fans to other authors. Still I would think an author should have an even better grasp of when a book is weak or strong compared to me. So in this case Im calling blatant sell outs!

#4 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

I gave up reading it when the girl who trained all her life to marry into the coloured people's city breaks down in tears constantly due to how different and stressful the colour city is... While her sister seems the stronger of the two. Then again, maybe that was the point. Doesn't matter, I won't be finishing it.

#5 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

My cat is named Lightsong the Bold. :p I am a HUGE Sanderson fan and have liked everything he has written (that I have read). This one was by far his weakest book.

#6 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostStormcat, on 24 March 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

My cat is named Lightsong the Bold. :p I am a HUGE Sanderson fan and have liked everything he has written (that I have read). This one was by far his weakest book.

I jumped straight from this into emperors soul! I can't believe they are written by the same person. I fact given that Warbreaker was an insight into how he rights one would think he would have taken extra care not less.

#7 User is offline   firvulag 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

While I totally agree it's not his best book, I still thoroughly enjoyed it :p

#8 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Is there a link to this book?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

If you want it free, I think the hardcover pdf is the final printed version

http://brandonsander...-and-downloads/

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I haven't read Warbreaker but it seems like a litterary crime to use an awesome title like "Warbreaker" and then have the book be lackluster.

#11 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm not Brandersons biggest fan, but I have enjoyed some of his work, but from what I recall of warbreaker, I was glad I didn't pay for it. The biggest problem for me was the actual plot, the motivations of the enemy were poorly laid down and not referenced before really at all. Magic systems that are nonsensical don't bother me overly because, magic isn't real regardless.
Considering what it takes to keep a god alive, I'm surprised they even bother with it, although that was the one enjoyable character in the book. (forget his name, the talkative god)

#12 User is offline   Sh'aik Hater 

• Recruit
  • I am a book addict, and that's all there is to know.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

................I feel like I am the only one who actually liked Warbreaker....Is it really THAT bad in comparison to his other books? I haven't read any of them, obviously, or I wouldn't be asking.
Just a girl who is obsessed with books...Carry on.

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostSh, on 30 March 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

................I feel like I am the only one who actually liked Warbreaker....Is it really THAT bad in comparison to his other books? I haven't read any of them, obviously, or I wouldn't be asking.

I recommend you try his other stuff then, its certainly his weakest imo.

#14 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

I liked it enough to name my cat after a main character. (Plus it annoys the heck out of people that his name is Lightsong the Bold for some reason)I thought it was good but his other stuff is better.

#15 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hmmm I'd place Elantris slightly higher on the basis of more engaging characters and (slightly) more believable villans

#16 User is offline   Warming 

• Recruit

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

I liked War Breaker. Had an interesting Magic system and their were some fun plot twists too.

#17 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:08 AM

Warbreaker was my favorite Sanderson book so far.. I have my book signed by him! Cool guy we mainly talked about my theories on Kingkiller Chronicles. Yup, I met an author and all we did was talk about another guys book..so much fun.

I named my Snake--> Vasher.

A) Does Brandon Sanderson have clones, hence the way he writes so fast..
:) Can he loan his cloning tech to Rothfuss so he can finish the next four books.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#18 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

Wait..I thought I read the first trilogy talks about the past...the three after talk about the future.

I could be wrong...
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#19 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

definitely 2 trilogies afaik.
first 3 we learn about what broke him
next 3 we learn about how he fixes it I think.

but he would need to hurry the fuck up

#20 User is offline   Warming 

• Recruit

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

View PostMacros, on 21 November 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

definitely 2 trilogies afaik.
first 3 we learn about what broke him
next 3 we learn about how he fixes it I think.

but he would need to hurry the fuck up

Oh thank god. I thought this next book was the last one in the series and was a little disappointed as there is so much unknown. Glad5 there will be another 3, but considering this third book has been written for a couple years and hes just editing it, I have no idea when his other trilogy might be finished. 2025?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users