Malazan Empire: Shadow of Mordor - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow of Mordor Assassins Creed Middle Earth?

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Just saw this gameplay trailer. It looks really good. Lots of options and a relatively diverse combat system. Looks like a mix between Assassins Creed and Darksiders.

I'd like to see what the non-combat gameplay is like though. Is it stages or is there open World exploration allowing you to chose how you infiltrate a bastion?

#2 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Damn, even the combat system stinks of AC. Parry, counter, die. Even Eagle vision's there, with the convenient ropes to walk on. I'm not expecting much but will probably try it anyway.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

To be fair I think this looks a lot less cookie cutter than AC. A bit at least.

This game basically looks like next generation Assassins Creed.

#4 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

That is such a direct copy of AC, down even to the specific mannerism and movements of the main character, not to mention that they basically cut and pasted the ropes connecting the rooftops.

It's going to be shit, as all such obvious copy-jobs are.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

All videogames base their mechanics on older videogames. Immitation is not just a matter of flattery in the videogames business, it is essential.

I don't mind them copying a proven concept that Sells ten million games each year. I am waiting to see how it handles and what they do differently.

#6 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Looks like it also borrows from Dishonored, employing the "blink" ability to teleport short distances to chase down "Ratbag the Meat Hoarder" (heh, love that name). Also the mind fuck performed on Ratbag reminds me of Dishonored.

Based on what is presented in the video, I wouldn't say it's "next generation". It looks like current gen (PS3/Xbox 360) to me.

But yeah, it looks like Assassin's Creed with a LOTR skin. Which isn't a bad thing if they execute it effectively. I've been wanting a game that isn't crap that is set in Middle-Earth. Games that have tried I've always past on because their composite reviews were not very kind. Maybe this game will break that trend, I'll keep on eye on this.

BTW, has there ever been a game (regardless of genre) that is set in this world that is worth giving a go?

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

AC in mordor, looks shit.
"every foe will be unique"
please fuck off, if that were the case you wouldn't have any scripted dialogue.

#8 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Looks like AC meets The Witcher meets Arkham Asylum (combat reminds me of that more than AC). Still it's a game I'm interested in watching. If the elements they took from other games come together to make something great, I'll definitely buy it. To be fair, I will either way, as I own every LotR/ Middle Earth game published to date. The difference is if I pay for it at launch or wait til it drops to under $20.

I wonder about the Nemesis system or whatever it was though. It could get old for each enemy to have a variation of "you cut off my arm, now I'm gonna cut off yours and beat you to death with it," instead of having programmed enemies in the game.

#9 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 23 January 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

BTW, has there ever been a game (regardless of genre) that is set in this world that is worth giving a go?

Third Age Total War, an excellent mod for Medieval 2 TW? Or perhaps BFME 1&2? Well, I enjoyed the heck out of them anyway.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 23 January 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia...._in_video_games

Of the ones on the list I recognize I've heard good things about War in the North. It's some kind of action-RPG

Lego LOTR is almost certainly great if you are into kid friendly collectible gathering sillyness.

Guardians of Middle Earth is a kind of MOBA so if you're into that kind of boredom I am sure you could have fun with that.

I also remember hearing that back in the day the LOTR MMO wasn't half bad but I assume it is long dead like the Matrix MMO and the like.

Interestingly enough Monolith who is probably most well known for developing FEAR 1 and 2 and Gotham City Imposters also made the LOTR MOBA so at least the studio will already have done some proper research into the universe.

#11 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 January 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

That is such a direct copy of AC, down even to the specific mannerism and movements of the main character, not to mention that they basically cut and pasted the ropes connecting the rooftops.

It's going to be shit, as all such obvious copy-jobs are.

An AC creed clone done right, with magic, would be a good thing.

Im more worried about a Mordor that is not a blasted wasteland overrun by orcs set between the hobbit and the LotR. There should be no human towns, no humans who are not already slaves etc. The only arable land in all of mordor is around some lake whose name I forget. I know LotR is hot right now but try to respect the canon if only a little.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

As far as we see in the gameplay video there doesn't appear to be anything living and all the structures are fortress type stuff.

I could invision there being surviving settlements close to or around these fortress boundaries between the lands of Mordor and what ever lies beyond.

But then again I haven't read anything about Middle Earth since the 90s.

#13 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

http://www.gamespot....v/1100-6416190/
Apparently, they are very respectful of said canon. Nothing to worry about, is there? We shall see . . .

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

I quote Gail Simone the other day on Twitter about this thread:

"All Fandom In A Nutshell:
Present THING. "Oh, Thing sucks, I hate it so much!"
Take THING Away: "WHY DO THEY DESTROY EVERYTHING WE LOVE?""

You don't know anything about what the game will be it till you sit and play the game.

You could watch the teaser trailer of FIGHT CLUB and say, "That looks like a shit thriller movie that's trying to be edgy and get by on big names like Brad Pitt! Booo!"...you'd be wrong...but you could certainly say that. :smoke:

I'm with Apt. If they pull of aping the good stuff about the AC games, with an LOTR skin on top...that's money.

And consdiering how few games exist in the Middle Earth realm that are good...we need one, so why not use facets of an engine that is proven to be fun?

Will wait and see how she plays meself.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

For the AC comparison...

http://uk.ign.com/ar...s-creed-ii-code

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

View Postchamp, on 24 January 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

For the AC comparison...

This article is why "videogame jounalism" is a joke.

Find a twitter message or forum post from random person who makes a claim that is "worrying".

Cherry pick the most sensationalist quotes, add your own speculation and build a story out of that.

Tell the reader/viewer that you have reached out to the various parties and that you are awaiting a reply.

Milk the non-existant story for all it is worth.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostMaybe Apt, on 24 January 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

View Postchamp, on 24 January 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

For the AC comparison...

This article is why "videogame jounalism" is a joke.

Find a twitter message or forum post from random person who makes a claim that is "worrying".

Cherry pick the most sensationalist quotes, add your own speculation and build a story out of that.

Tell the reader/viewer that you have reached out to the various parties and that you are awaiting a reply.

Milk the non-existant story for all it is worth.

Indeed. These sites are about Click-baiting, nothing more.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#18 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Never played any of the AC games but to me this looks alot more like the Batman games. The rythmic fight system, including that drop down smash sttack that looks like batman aswell as what looks like detective mode or wraith mode in this one. Much more Batman than AC though I remember Batman AC comparisons so maybe it a trend. It looks interesting but I dont think it would do well if it wasnt a LOTR based game.

Also guys you might have missed it in the trailer as they barely mentioned it but they have a nemesis system...

#19 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

I picked it up for like $25 I think on Black Friday for Xbox 360.

Pretty fun.

Not sure how limited the 360's Nemesis system is compared to the next gen systems (they said it would be reduced). I'm curious to find out what the last gen systems are lacking in that department.

...ugg, the game makes me want to pick up an xbox one though, some of the load times are annoying between maps/gameplay etc.

I'm not a big fan of the Assassin's creed games, so I can't compare. I played 1 or 2 of them in the past, and got a newer version cheap used that I couldn't get into.
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

According to what I heard, there isn't actually a nemesis system in the older consoles. It doesn't work like it does on the next generation anyway.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users