Malazan Empire: Shadow of Mordor - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow of Mordor Assassins Creed Middle Earth?

#21 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Just reading this thread. I see comparisons to AC, Arkham Asylum and the Witcher? Set in Middle Earth? That sounds like the most freaking awesome game ever! I'm sold!

Also War in the North was great fun especially in Co-op and BFME 1&2 were good too. Heck I remember really enjoying the Return of the King game on the Gamecube.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#22 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Don't know how far it goes in next gen, but 360 has unique named enemies, that will remember killing you and trash talk based on pervious encounters. They also get strengths/weaknesses based on your encounters (fear of fire/worgs/bees/etc)

What I read was that old gen nemesis was getting toned down. wondering if it's just graphics (armor variety etc) or if some of that type of encounter character building was effected as well.
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

Tiste Simeon, on 05 December 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Just reading this thread. I see comparisons to AC, Arkham Asylum and the Witcher? Set in Middle Earth? That sounds like the most freaking awesome game ever! I'm sold!

Also War in the North was great fun especially in Co-op and BFME 1&2 were good too. Heck I remember really enjoying the Return of the King game on the Gamecube.

The Witcher comparison I don't see, unless we're talking about the sword fighting.

However SoM definitely manages to take the best parts of ACs world traversal and AAs combat and merges it with a great personality driven enemy hierarchy.

The story is forgettable but the random encounters you get into are some of the most memorable fights I have experienced in a game.

#24 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:50 PM

Sounds good enough to me. Could you explain the Nemesis thing to me? Literally know nothing about this game.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

You get some enemies that walk around the map that are stronger than the normal grunts, these are captains or warchiefs.

They'll have individual strengths and weaknesses, so some are invulnerable to ranged combat or a stealth finisher whilst some can be taken down with a stealth move, some hate fire whilst some will be enraged by fire and become stronger if you burn them.

You have to interrogate the normal grunts to find out where they are located on the map and to find out their strengths/weaknesses.

If they kill you they'll move up the ladder in the ingame ranking system - for the enemies - becoming stronger.

When you kill them you gain a rune which gives you a power boost if added to your weapon. Sometimes the ones you kill have actually survived and will hunt you down on the map turning up at a pain in the ass moment ha.

It's a great system but for a full in depth explanation...

http://uk.ign.com/wi..._Nemesis_System

This post has been edited by champ: 06 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#26 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, I got sidetracked by Far Cry 4, but from what I've played, it's phenomenal.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

There's also a kind of convergence that happens.

If you get into a prolonged fight with a captain and his soldiers, then another might show up. And then another. And then another. One time a buddy and me were playing and the captains just kept arriving. We were doing hit and run attacks on the group to try and single them out but I think it took more than 30 minutes to win that battle.

#28 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

That happened to me, I had 4 captains show up whilst I was in a stronghold... chaos commenced!

You also get events that show up on the map where captains will fight against each other, throw a party or have a beast hunt and it's your job to intervene, if they complete their challenge they get stronger or if you stop them you get rewards!

edit

One of these events that I found was to gain revenge against a captain who had killed a friend of mine in his game which I thought was awesome!!! Banter ensued after I took down someone he didn't...

This post has been edited by champ: 06 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#29 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Thanks guys that sounds pretty epic/difficult! I assume you can co-op it?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

Nope. All single player.

#31 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

Want

#32 User is offline   Wilshire 

• Recruit

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

It was interesting for a while but its a real same the Nemesis system wasn't included for the first half of the game.

That was kind of the entire point of the game, imo. At the very least, it was what made it unique.

You could make it easier or more difficult by how you chose to play, and how you picked you battles, but I'd say that without much struggle, or intentionally making it harder, most will likely not have much trouble with the game.

Fun for a while, but I got a bit bored before the end of the game. it did play a lot like Assassins Creed, but that is another series thats been played out.

I'm sure I put 20-30 hours into it, and know those who have put probably 60+. If you can get it on sale, and you enjoy the Middle Earth setting and/or the assassins creed playstyle, this is likely a game for you.

#33 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

Got it for Christmas with my new PS4 along with AC:BF & AC:U
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#34 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

Macros, on 23 January 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

AC in mordor, looks shit.
"every foe will be unique"
please fuck off, if that were the case you wouldn't have any scripted dialogue.

A few months later...

Macros, on 07 December 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Want

lol.

Best surprise of the year in games. Wonderful. Expect to see the nemesis system under different names in lots of games over the next few years.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, playing AC Unity I was thinking to myself "Assassinating this asshole would be so much more exciting if he had immunities and AOE buffs for his guards".

The fact that you had to change up your tactics for Orc captains depending upon their strengths meant a lot for the gameplay.

#36 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

Apt, on 26 December 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Yeah, playing AC Unity I was thinking to myself "Assassinating this asshole would be so much more exciting if he had immunities and AOE buffs for his guards".

The fact that you had to change up your tactics for Orc captains depending upon their strengths meant a lot for the gameplay.

Is it usually easy enough to work out how to kill the captains? I'm what you might call a bit rubbish on games in that I can usually finish them but I like taking my own sweet time and when things get a bit complicated I'm not very good. I've rarely played multiplayer because I never want to let people down. Therefore if the captains all require a ton of stuff to work out how to kill them I may struggle with this one.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#37 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

Nah, it's pretty easy to figure out their weaknesses, if they even matter - some it's just an easier way to take them down or a need to change your regular tactics. You can find them out in several ways and a bit of trial-and-error is ok (though dying obviously can result in them getting buffed, making an already tough opponent even stronger).

It's not a huge, in-your-face kind of deal or like a puzzle you have to figure out to win.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#38 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

There's a screen where you can see the Orc hierarchy. On that screen the orcs you know nothing about are shrouded in darkness.

In the game world you have three ways of learning information about the orc officers. You can track down orcs who have a green marker and interrogate them to gain intel, you can also just find objects that reveal information. The most common one is probably when you attack a regular orc or a captain. You can either chose to kill or interrogate the orc. When you interrogate it, you get to expose an orcs position in the hierarchy and/or show that orcs weaknesses and strengths.

It shows up as a list that reveal how you should approach that orc captain to kill it. For example, one Captain might be immune to any kind of ranged/bow attack. Another one can be instantly killed if you just shoot it in the head with an arrow.

#39 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks dudes I'm looking forward to getting into it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#40 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

I just got this for Christmas. But I just started DA so it might have to wait a bit.

Maybe I'll sneak a look..
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users