• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls II

#61 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostRictus, on 27 April 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

This is my first Souls game, and I'd just like to say: fuck the Pursuer. I mean, really.

1st or 2nd appearance? ^_^

I've got his sword.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#62 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I played a little at a friend's place (first time for both of us) and he couldn't kill those two trolls or whatever the one eyed things are in the "training" area. And then we both laughed like mad and realised the game hated us when I went exploring in that ruined village and 3 little pigs killed me. And then killed my friend twice.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#63 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostTraveller, on 27 April 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostRictus, on 27 April 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

This is my first Souls game, and I'd just like to say: fuck the Pursuer. I mean, really.

1st or 2nd appearance? ^_^

I've got his sword.

I chickened out on the rooftop and he just disappeared. Now he's on the wall with the ballistae - I guess that's the second. Hopefully the last, too.

And, Garak, my first death was at the hands of the maid in the first area, where all the old women are. I suck so bad it's painful.

#64 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Nope, that still counts as the first appearance of the Pursuer.. although the second is optional, you'll be pleased to hear. (You do get the blade ring +1 if you take him out though - and I found him easier the second time as he's in a circular room.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#65 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

@Rictus We actually were curios if those npcs could die. After being killed by a careless step and a deep hole, my friend attacked the maid and died. We laughed so hard at that. So yeah, I get you.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#66 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Just finished the game.

That last battle... well, shit, that was proper 'Souls for me.
Between getting cursed and smacked repeatedly with a Scythe, it took me two hours.

The first few attempts I was getting nowhere. Then I was getting her down to 50%. Amazing how much difference switching to two-handing a sword can make.. I got her down to a sliver of health after that, then finally won once I realised it was actually possible.

Pretty funny that to be able to roll loads I switched back to the armour I started with.. falconer armour +3 or something. How the hell does that make sense?

#67 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Ok so killing the final boss isn't the end.

Turns out there was a couple of bits I missed, so I went back to kill King Vendrick. That old bastard is faster than he looks.

And got his armour, which is pretty nice... cloaks look great over armour. Shame I got it right at the end. There's always the next playthrough I suppose.

#68 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Decided to play a bit more with a third new character, and I get it now, it's a far far more multiplayer reliant game than Dark Souls, thats the difference.

I put down my summon sign at the bonfire of every new area and progress very slowly until summoned, then with greater numbers you can progress further and learn about the enemies and traps ahead without risk of losing your progress, eventually you reach the boss and after a few times summoned, you kill it, then you return home human and can summon allies in turn, to help with the boss you already have winning experience for. Doing this for every area makes the game seem much more like the old dark souls.

Enjoying the game a lot more now, though navigating certain zones alone is still incredibly incredibly difficult (looking at you Shrine and Castle!)

Also the Shrine boss is the cheapst, worst designed enemy I have yet encountered.

Played with sorcery a bit more now, and even though I have the new spells, they are pretty much all variations on soul spear, either signifigant increase in aoe size and reduction in speed, or multiple spears with only 1 cast etc, looks like most of the development in magic use came from hexes, which I won't use due to their eating of souls and also my catalyst can't use them.

#69 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm losing my face multiple times a night vs. Manus right now in the first game.

When I beat it, I'll segue directly into this game (on PC).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#70 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

I haven't messed much with multiplayer. When I first played Demons I wasn't online so I got kind of used to it.

I do occasionally put a summon sign down after defeating a satisfying boss now though.. when you've spent some time learning a move-set it's fun to go help some other poor sucker out after.

I don't summon help though, it really just takes too much out of it... I stubbornly insist that I can do it alone.

I was so close to it on that last boss - it was driving me insane how many times I was getting stupidly, repeatedly killed. But I know that with these games, you just have to think of another way. I love that breakthrough where you get them down below half and realise that you're doing it right.

Is the shrine boss the toad thing that's all shielded apart from it's arms? That was weird.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

#71 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostTraveller, on 29 April 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

I haven't messed much with multiplayer. When I first played Demons I wasn't online so I got kind of used to it.

I do occasionally put a summon sign down after defeating a satisfying boss now though.. when you've spent some time learning a move-set it's fun to go help some other poor sucker out after. I don't summon help though, it really just makes it too easy.

I was so close to it on that last boss - it was driving me insane how many times I was getting stupidly, repeatedly killed. But I know that with these games, you just have to think of another way. I love that breakthrough where you get them down below half and realise that you're doing it right.

Is the shrine boss the toad thing that's all shielded apart from it's arms? That was weird.

Nah that frog was cake, turns out having an enormous mouth makes it really easy to eat pursuers until stuffed.

The boss at the end of the aerie is the one that I'm calling bullshit on, with the 1HKOs everywhere

#72 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

What, the Ancient Dragon? That does take ages to kill, but it is optional, and I just went back to get him later on to get another Soul of a Giant. And because it looks awesome.

Gowers Ring of protection helps with the aerial fire blast by the way.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

#73 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

It DOES look awesome, which is why it must die, just to say I took down something of that SIZE, and so that the effort of climbing all those stairs wasn't wasted.

#74 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

Oh god the stairs.

There's a similar run up to the final boss, but with no giant soldiers blocking the way.

That dragon could eat the dragon king from skyrim.

#75 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Found Drangleic Sword and confronted the Old Dragonslayer or what. The bastard had killed me at least thirty times before then. Now he died on my first try. I guess luck can play a part, but having a big two-handed can't hurt, either.

This post has been edited by Rictus: 29 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

#76 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Oh yes. I got that sword up to +4 and used it for most of the game as it's fast and got a good thrust attack too.

Pursuers Sword two-handed is nice, but the timing has to be right on the vertical slash as it's quite easy to miss.

Killed Vendrick with it though. Eventually...

#77 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

I dusted off DS1 last night and tried to get some pvp going which ive never done before. I played offline the first time and on my second played the game hollow. Its very difficult to find anyone to invade and no one summoned me or anything. I just wonder if its because people have moved on to DS2 and how does it compare in terms of people contributing/invading to DS1

#78 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

If you're on PC, the Windows Live service that used to arrange Player vs Player is gone. There's work-arounds, but it's just easier to move onto DS2.

Which kinda sucked for my current play through, as I finally ganked Solaire to get his stuff and was clomping around trying to get summoned as a Solaire stand-in. I was getting good at replicating his normal attack patterns too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#79 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Im a console peasant so as far as I know I just run around trying to invade with cracked red orbs or leaving my summon sign in random places.

#80 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

So, I just ought and installed Dark Souls 2 for PC.

WOW, the fucking MAIN mouse controls dont even work properly. The attack and/block have about a 1 sec lag between them making playing the game impossible. What a piece of shit. I had to spend over an hour to start messing around with some 3rd party software (Hotkey) that i have no idea how to use to remap and make the keys work. Now I'm stuck with playing with controls some guy on the interwebs made for himself since I dont know how to write a the script nor do I wanna spend more time to maybe learn and figure it out.

So far I'm not really enjoying it, cant get pass the first damned troll thing cause the controls are so awkward.
No Touchy.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users