• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls II

#161 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

I meant reallocating souls, like into Faith for example, purely to collect a Ring from someone who will only give it if you have a certain level - only to change everything back after I've got it.

I'm still a bigger DS fan I think, as all those areas were so well designed and interconnected. Such a challenge first time to fight through carefully, such relief at finding a sometimes easy to miss ladder to kick down.

And the depth, basement to cellar to sewer to Depths, then on down through the Great Tree to that lake, or the other way to Tomb of the Giants and beyond. Awesome.
I also played through a few times with different builds, whereas I haven't really scratched the surface of 2 since I haven't yet used a single hex or spell, or even the dex build I used in DS. I'd always see other players wielding UGS 's and never get to use them, so for 2 I've used a Strength build with a bit of pyro to help.

To be honest by the time I got to the end of 2 I was getting fed up with it as it just didn't seem to have the intricate nature and depth to it, just a series of similar bosses in areas you could clear without much trouble - plus fast travel pretty much whenever you need due to frequent bonfires.

The dlc has at least highlighted the stuff I missed, although that in itself demonstrates that I didn't need it to finish the first time around. I think maybe they needed to make DS 2 harder if anything, as anyone who'd played through DS a few times was always going to be let down by a more 'accessable' sequel. Even starting DS from the start as a Deprived I could get a good way in without even taking damage, let alone getting killed, in areas I'd picked through carefully, fully armored on my first try.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#162 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

DS2 for me just didn't have the moments that the first offered, like the Tomb of Giants, a genuinely dark area where you're shitting it the whole time, with nothing but a maggot on your head for a light source!
The bosses that you didn't know were coming, the Taurus Demon leaping over a tower to fight you on a narrow bridge, the floor crumbling away before you're forced to fight the asylum demon with a chunk of your HP missing from fall damage. The Ceaseless Discharge waking up once you rob his sisters armour. The elation at beating Ornstein or Smough only to find it injects anabolic steroids into the other.
All amazing moments.

Every boss in DS2, you knew was coming. The Pursuer makes one surpise appearance. Not that surprising though seeing as he gets brought in by MASSIVE FUCKING EAGLE!

That said Gwyn is bullshit, I played through the whole game with spells and rapiers/katanas only to find he dodged all my spells, jumped about like a loon and my maxed out weapons barely scratched him. The best way to beat him was just to wear full Havels, stand still and parry him. Not what I wanted from playing the whole game lightly armoured.

I played more DS PvE, I've spent a load of time of DS2 PvP

#163 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

I just circled Gwyn with a stone outcrop between, hitting him almost through it... I think I switched to a spear or something,, it was all over fairly quickly.

Unlike the goddam Stray Demon. I did like the Gaping Dragon too.. the way he walks out like a monitor lizard with a small head, and then his whole torso opens out and roars.

I just got the big spear that was impaling the dlc dragon, as well as a huge axe made from Nashandras soul. Both have got some nice moves. I've re-adjusted my stats too, reduced strength from 60 down to 40-something and boosted dex and faith a bit so I can use the new stuff.

My upgraded Smelter Sword is amazing though, one or two hitting those big guys at the Dragon Shrine.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#164 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

View PostTraveller, on 02 August 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

- plus fast travel pretty much whenever you need due to frequent bonfires.

This

Im near the end of the game now just at the dragon aerie so probably got like 2 more bosses to do. The bonfire fast travel on DS was better as it was select bonfires rather than every single one. By replaying the game im going back and starting from majula and running places rather than fast travelling. I missed loads not just like stuff here and there I mean loads, areas with keys etc. I think that as soon as you get to the bonfire you never really look back.

#165 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

I've been reading about some of the npc's, and there's a lot I missed, but also no way I could have known about the specific requirements without reading about them.

Like the sorcerer in Aldias Keep. You get a different side to his character depending on if you're hollow or human - and if you're hollow he gives you missions and rewards. I think I just freed him and he attacked me, I can't remember.

#166 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Yeah I did all his missions, he asks you to assassinate NPCs to get items from them, but most will give you them at some point, think only 1 I couldn't get until beating Nashandra. He gives out some nice rewards and eventually his armour set, which looks awesome.

There were hundreds off messages saying "Do not release" "Not here" etc so I figured pulling the lever was a bad idea

#167 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

I had never played this game or its predecessors before yesterday, I got this game because people here generally have tastes similar to mine. I started playing DS II last night and now I can officially say I hate the lot of you.
and then I realized this is the easier one.:)
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#168 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm sure you'll enjoy it loads!

The key word is "easi-er", DS2 is still a lot harder than most games, especially for new players who aren't familiar with the series.

Difficult but rewarding...just not as much as first one.

#169 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

Oh dear god EM, why did you start with DS2?

Please if you get discouraged enough to stop, go and play Dark Souls 1, I promise you Dark Souls 1 is hard BUT FAIR. The start of DS2 just feels cheap at times (I have major complaints about the layout and enemy placement,or spamming I should say, in this game) but in DS1 it's a lot more crafted, and flows a lot better.

#170 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostInane Babble, on 03 August 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Oh dear god EM, why did you start with DS2?

Please if you get discouraged enough to stop, go and play Dark Souls 1, I promise you Dark Souls 1 is hard BUT FAIR. The start of DS2 just feels cheap at times (I have major complaints about the layout and enemy placement,or spamming I should say, in this game) but in DS1 it's a lot more crafted, and flows a lot better.

It was the game that I could buy. (The other one wasn't available.)
It's not like, I don't want to play anymore, my major complaint right now is the simple fact that I'm running out of hair to pull out.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#171 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

I just solo'd the Ancient Dragon wearing nothing but a loincloth. No shield either. Since any attack kills you if it hits, it seemed pretty pointless anyway.

I used the Red Tearstone ring too so I only had a sliver of health from the start. Real problem was when it flew up with its tail out over the ledge - nowhere left to run to.

Pretty fun anyway.

#172 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

I watched some critical reviews of DS2 and theyre right as our people current comments. DS1 is a much more interesting and interlinked world that makes more geographical sense.

In other news I did all the giant memories and beat Vendrick. I would have liked to see more of the giant wars I thought that side of things was really interesting. Nashandra, in true dark souls tradition of surprisingly easy final bosses, was completed in like 3 tries. Is it supposed to be hard because the throne guards are meant to be back to back? Ive got the ancient dragon to fight I think but I dont think ill get stuck into newgame plus. Much prefer DS1.

Might buy the DLC at a later date but a bit disappointed with DS2 in comparison to DS1

#173 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

Try the dlc, it is much better.

#174 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

For DLC people, I just interacted with Vendrick's armour and entered a memory in the same room before he hollows. He just talks for a bit though. Maybe he'll say more after each DLC.

#175 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

Yeh I read that aboout Vendrick. The consensus on a few sites seems to be we find out more when the other 2 (?) DLCs come out.

DO we know what he stole from the giants? The throne of want is the kiln of the first flame so sitting in it restores the fire again until a new champion is needed like the original hollow did in DS1 meaning the 'keep the light going' is the canonical ending. Atleast I think it is.

Dont think ill get the DLC yet might wait for them all to come out and buy a bundle.

#176 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

I am stuck. I'm still in the Forest of Giants, and I have killed the first boss.(which ridiculously easier than killing normal mobs, I didn't even use the help of the NPC).
Now, in the next room, there are these Giant turtle thingies, which have great big ass clubs. I can't dodge most of their blows and despite the fact that I have a great shield equipped, I can't seem to block the blows either. Is there something I can do that will help my shield block them?

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 06 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#177 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

For larger enemies it's better to not try and block them. They sometimes take a run up before swinging so if you dodge immediately they'll still land the hit, so timing is key. Make sure your equip load is less than 70% for fast rolls.

You should have your weapon upgraded to +4 or so by now. If you've not found the blacksmith's key you can buy it from the hag next to the bonfire in Forest of Fallen Giants.

If you're strong enough to use great shield then you'll be strong enough to use the bastard sword, you'll find it just after those knights. It's a great weapon especially once upgraded. If you're two handing it you should be able to take them down in 2 hits.

Or you could try using a bow to weaken them from distance and draw them out one at a time.

This post has been edited by Wolfdrop: 06 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

#178 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 06 August 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

I am stuck. I'm still in the Forest of Giants, and I have killed the first boss.(which ridiculously easier than killing normal mobs, I didn't even used the help of the NPC).
Now, in the next room, there are these Giant turtle thingies, which have great big ass clubs. I can't dodge most of their blows and despite the fact that I have a great shield equipped, I can't seem to block the blows either. Is there something I can do that will help my shield block them?

As is sais above unless youve got alot of points in stamina and a good stability rating on the shield then dodging wit h a low equipment load is your best bet. Early on in the game (or if your not playing a tank then all of it) your a glass cannon, able to dish ouit good damage when double handing weapons but not able to take damage. Unless your full Havel with a great shield big enemies will need to be dodged.

Im thinking about using a soul vessel to reset my stats. My soul memory from an initial playthrough is like 3 mil which I understand is high. My SL is about 165 so I thought maybe resetting all my stats sinking all my stats into faith and intelligence so theyre both 50 then putting the rest into attunement and just enough so I can use my rapier +10. Be interesting to see what happens if I go 50 int/faith with some of the more powerful spells/hexs.

#179 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Im thinking about using a soul vessel to reset my stats. My soul memory from an initial playthrough is like 3 mil which I understand is high. My SL is about 165 so I thought maybe resetting all my stats sinking all my stats into faith and intelligence so theyre both 50 then putting the rest into attunement and just enough so I can use my rapier +10. Be interesting to see what happens if I go 50 int/faith with some of the more powerful spells/hexs.

Dark damage bonus for hexes stop at 30 INT and 30 FAITH. 50/50 won't be much better than 30/30, so I reckon that's overkill. Some of the higher end hexes need higher than 30/30 but they're mostly the PvP ones that silence etc. I've got 40/40 and used spices to reduce the requirements for the others. Then I've still got enough points for 20 strength and 25 dex for chaos blade and two handed crypt blacksword. I'm at SL 163.

Hexer is definitely the most fun build I've had for PvE and PvP, all I change is what spells I have equipped for PvP. The damage hexes hit hard but are too slow to actually hit a human player.

Also Dark Sunset Staff +5, best hexing staff, makes a huge difference to damage etc.

#180 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

You two seem to be about the same SL... but I'm about 140 now after completing the dlc? Maybe I spend more souls on upgrading armour and stuff instead.

I messed with the soul vessels a little - by reducing strength a bit, and putting it into vitality and stamina, I was able to literally run rings round the Ancient Dragon, and hit it for 1000 plus points. I quite like the way you can see what is being directly affected as you reassign souls.

Has anyone used any weapons that give Int bonus, like the Moonlight Butterfly sword? My mage from DS was awesome with Homing Crystal soulmass and that sword to finish the job.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users