Malazan Empire: Words of Radiance - Prologue and Chapters 1 & 2 - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Words of Radiance - Prologue and Chapters 1 & 2

#21 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

So I just spent the last hour browsing Coppermind (wiki) and figuring out what the chart at the front of the WoK hardback means, among other things. Damn I can't wait to continue this series.

#22 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Possibly Brent Weeks, on 05 February 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Holy crap.

Spoilers for the latest chapters
Spoiler

Spoiler

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#23 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Reading through the first book again, and I maintain that Shallan doesn't become an interesting character until about 3/4 through the book. Essentially when Jasnah kills those footpads.

Blend:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Possibly Brent Weeks: 07 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Possibly Brent Weeks, on 07 February 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

Reading through the first book again, and I maintain that Shallan doesn't become an interesting character until about 3/4 through the book. Essentially when Jasnah kills those footpads.

Disagree.

But then I enjoyed reading about her scholarly pursuits. I found her 100% enthralling from page one.

But then I think that book is perfection without a hair out of place.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Blend:
Spoiler

Spoiler

As for Shallan, I agree with QT - I rather enjoyed her throughout WoK - but I really enjoyed reading about how women go about becoming scholars on Roshar, and I felt her chapters gave us some much needed world building outside the Shattered Plain.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I'm about halfway through the next set of preview chapters 6, 8, 9 (only paused to read THE EMPEROR'S BLADES), but...

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Blend, on 10 February 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Blend:
Spoiler

Spoiler

As for Shallan, I agree with QT - I rather enjoyed her throughout WoK - but I really enjoyed reading about how women go about becoming scholars on Roshar, and I felt her chapters gave us some much needed world building outside the Shattered Plain.

Spoiler

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#28 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

Possibly Brent Weeks, on 10 February 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Blend, on 10 February 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Blend:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#29 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

At Tor.com you can sign up for glimpses of Words of Radiance every day via email until its release...

I'll just post them here as I get 'em!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Blend: 03 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Just finished the latest preview chapters. Great stuff!

Though I'm lost with that Parshendi chapter. What's this business about art forms?

CRAZY ASS PARSHENDI!

#31 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

QuickTidal, on 21 February 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

Just finished the latest preview chapters. Great stuff!

Though I'm lost with that Parshendi chapter. What's this business about art forms?

CRAZY ASS PARSHENDI!

While I was reading this, all I could think of was "Wonder Twins Activate! Form of a hawk!"

But seriously, I'm most excited to see this Storm Form they're talking about. That's going to be interesting. Plus, I'm curious to find out what they felt it was necessary to stop Gavilar from doing by killing him.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Blend, on 21 February 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Plus, I'm curious to find out what they felt it was necessary to stop Gavilar from doing by killing him.

Indeed, I wonder if we'll get an answer to that in this book or a future one.

#33 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

Dear gods, today's Glimpses of Radiance is a little disconcerting!

Spoiler

#34 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:14 AM

Nope

Spoiler

#35 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Possibly Brent Weeks, on 25 February 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

Nope

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm so excited for this book!

#36 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

Spoiler Free Review of Words of Radiance

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

I've been hoping that one of the bookstores near my house will stock it early.

A man can dream.

#38 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Bought my copy today,

Waterstones Sauchiehall street Glasgow.

(same place i got MOI pre-release, many, MANY moons ago.....)
meh. Link was dead :(

#39 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

Die. Die in a fire.

#40 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

For now its just sitting on my shelf,
As i'm planning to reread Way of Kings before ploughing into it.

And i've not started Way of Kings yet, so.........

B) ;) :p

;)

:D
meh. Link was dead :(

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users