• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SHANNARA: THE TV SERIES From the SMALLVILE guys and John Favreau

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

Okay, I don't know what I expected....but HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

This looks film quality!

Consider my already excited manner about this...dialled up to eleven!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

I didn't expect to see so much of the post-apocalypse aspect depicted, so that's kinda neat. World looks good. I did expect to see unnecessarily generic pretty people in the leads, so they did that part stupidly enough. I'm sure MTV will reach its 2016 quota of Teen Choice Awards. Still think it's weird, more than anything, but I'll watch it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#43 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

Wow, this looks stellar visually. I was not expecting that!

Aside: I read one of the Shannara books years and years ago, and I never realized it was post-apoc. I always thought it was set in a 'normal' fantasy world...

#44 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

I remember reading the Shannara trilogy when I was middle school age. Elfstones was the only book I ever remember reading where I had to put the book down and walk away because I was so terrified. I still remember exactly where I was when Wil and the Chosen were nearing the end of their Quest. Probably didn't help that I was 10-12 years old at the time but by far the best of the original three books. I actually liked the Sword better than the Wishsong. The Scion series was solid. But I've stopped reading Brooks after the next couple of trilogies. He paints a pretty good story the first couple of books and then he just seems to be eh, fuck it and uses the last book to quickly wrap up the story. I've felt cheated after that and haven't read anything of his since.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#45 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 July 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

Okay, I don't know what I expected....but HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

This looks film quality!

In places there it almost makes LotR look small. It remains to be seen if the whole thing can look that good, and indeed if the quality of writing and acting matches the production values, but I'm absolutely blown away but what they appear to have achieved on an MTV budget (which I'm presuming is smaller than, say, an HBO budget).

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 11 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#46 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

There are all kinds of reasons why I should be sceptical about this but fukit, I'm excited!!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#47 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

I was sceptical about it too, probably because MTV was involved. It looks really good. Like, Conan reboot good.

I meet Terry Brooks when Talisman of Shannara was released. He did a signing at the bookstore I worked it. Very, very nice guy. We had a huge line out the door.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 July 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

... and seeing Wil holding the Elfstones? That tweaks something inside me, and I grinned....

My inner eight-year old positively wet himself at that shot.

So much of my scepticism and pessimism about this show was unreasonably wiped out just because HOLY FUCK THOSE ARE THE ELFSTONES!!!! ON SCREEN!!!!!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 July 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 July 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

... and seeing Wil holding the Elfstones? That tweaks something inside me, and I grinned....

My inner eight-year old positively wet himself at that shot.

So much of my scepticism and pessimism about this show was unreasonably wiped out just because HOLY FUCK THOSE ARE THE ELFSTONES!!!! ON SCREEN!!!!!!!

Totally. And in one of the later jump cut shots you can see Wil's arm alighting with blue magic as it looks like he prepares to use them.

Attached File  WilElfstonesUSe.png (400.59K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#50 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

Is Stee Jans gonna be in it? He's no Garet Jax, of course, but he was pretty awesome nonetheless. And the show could do with a few more adults.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

View Postworry, on 13 July 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

Is Stee Jans gonna be in it? He's no Garet Jax, of course, but he was pretty awesome nonetheless. And the show could do with a few more adults.

I don't THINK so as he's not listed amongst the cast...but possibly?

#52 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

Haven't read the books but saw the trailer and was pretty impressed. Best TV trailer I've ever seen I think, beating out many movie trailers too. It was so good that I actually began reading the first book as soon as I finished my re-read of WOT 4. Didn't really catch my interest though (Well, I only read the first two chapters) so I switched to The First Law which I have been planning to read for quite some while now. I started it originally already last spring but my WOT re-read fever was too strong back then to get it really started so I began re-reading WOT instead after the first two chapters of TFL. Now I'm about a quarter into the first TFL book and will definitely read the series till' the end. Might try Shannara again after that or read some more WOT in between before trying Shannara again.

I'll definitely be watching the show though. Looked pretty awesome.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 17 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

#53 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

New Trailer. With dialogue.

http://www.youtube.c...9&v=rCr3z_sTSNU

#54 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 October 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

New Trailer. With dialogue.

http://www.youtube.c...9&v=rCr3z_sTSNU

Just watched a few trailers I hadn't seen yet. I am REALLY looking forward to this. The settings are just spectacular. Can't wait for my teenage daughter to see it. I've gotten her into the Dragonriders of Pern so far, which she loves and I think she'll really like this, too.

I've already voiced my opinion up thread of my dislike of all the alterations in adapting book-to-tv/movie. I've decided to do my best to let that go and just enjoy it for what it is as long as it's good quality. With that being said; would it have been so hard to cast (or at least dye) a redhead as Amberle? Amberle and Eretria look pretty similar to me in the trailers. I'll shut up now!

#55 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

Been aaaaages (20 years or so?) since I read Shannara, so I cannot remember a thing from it anymore apart from it being a bit of a LOTR style fantasy light reading. That trailer looks great though, definitely will give it a try. Any fantasy on TV is worth support, unless it turns Twilight-y.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#56 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:36 PM

Manu Bennet actually looks like Allanon (with shorter hair, and maybe not-quite-tall-enough) but he sure doesn't sound like him. I kept on expecting to hear him come out with "Choice, bro!" with that mid-Tasman accent. :)

On Allanon's look: anyone else remember the original edition Sword of Shannara with the fold-out artwork of the entire party?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#57 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 October 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

Manu Bennet actually looks like Allanon (with shorter hair, and maybe not-quite-tall-enough) but he sure doesn't sound like him. I kept on expecting to hear him come out with "Choice, bro!" with that mid-Tasman accent. :)

On Allanon's look: anyone else remember the original edition Sword of Shannara with the fold-out artwork of the entire party?

I'll have to check to be positive, but I think my paperback Sword of Shannara (which is definitely quite old) has that fold out picture of "the company". I'm not sure I remember how many there were, though. Allanon, Shea, Flick, Menion Leah(?), Balinor, Elf twins (one named Dayel, I think) and Hendel the dwarf. Was that all of them? If so, at least Brooks didn't use the same amount of people for his "quest" as Tolkien did in LotR!

#58 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, this is the one:

In no particular order - Allanon, Shea, Flick, Balinor, Durin (?), Dayel, Hendel, Menion Leah.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#59 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 October 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yeah, this is the one:

In no particular order - Allanon, Shea, Flick, Balinor, Durin (?), Dayel, Hendel, Menion Leah.

You beat me to it. That's the one. I thought Durin was the other elf's name too. I can't believe I can remember this but not one thing that happened last Friday without hurting my head!

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

Reminder: Starts tomorrow night! The premiere is also 2 hours (starts at 10PM in Canada)!

Sidebar: My wife keeps seeing the trailer on TV for it and yesterday said "Whoa, that's looks really good! Are we going to watch that one?" ...people, I married the most incredible woman.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users