• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

+Artwork Cheers

#41 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Google image search. Set the option for "large". I have the watery variant of the MT cover in my shelf (not with Russian texts, however), so it was familiar beforehand.

Rime Coldspray is a military leader of a host of warrior giantesses in Stephen Donaldson's books. The image linked a few posts above is my own artwork.

#42 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

I've always just been worried at the sheer amount of easily accessed bare daggers arranged along that shoulder strap. I have looked at a way of making fear look alien and good-looking with high cheekbones. He looks like a girl now but I'll keep at it. finally need to tackle Gruntle then the colour and refinement can begin!

;)
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#43 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostKaamos, on 28 January 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Google image search. Set the option for "large". I have the watery variant of the MT cover in my shelf (not with Russian texts, however), so it was familiar beforehand.

Rime Coldspray is a military leader of a host of warrior giantesses in Stephen Donaldson's books. The image linked a few posts above is my own artwork.

No wonder she was so menacing :-) Great stuff. I think Karsa has finally met his match.

#44 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 28 January 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

I've always just been worried at the sheer amount of easily accessed bare daggers arranged along that shoulder strap.

;) Don't tell anyone, but they're actually cardboard cutouts painted with glittery colors. The Edur want the approaching enemy to believe they're so 7331 they don't care Hood's flying buttcheeks for any pansy scabbards.

View Postnacht, on 28 January 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

No wonder she was so menacing :-) Great stuff. I think Karsa has finally met his match.

Haha thanks. :-D Y'know, she indeed might notch his pride; Karsa is a tiny tenderfoot shivering in the shadow of her height and battle-experience. :) OR she just might pinch his cheek and drag him behind the nearest bush with a more pleasant swordfight in mind.

#45 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

LOL Kaamos

Ok heres a question. what ethnicity to I draw from for gruntle? I, for some reason have him pegged as almost central asian? he's old I gather? also battle scarred. I see alot of orange or blonde haired Gruntles out there including my own from when I was a kid. I can't recall why it was like that. so what exactly is canon for gruntle?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#46 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

My eyes are tired today, but lessee if I managed something here... :)

#1:
Dassem: the human profile works a bit differently with eyes (anime lies). More like rounded triangles fallen to one side than the entire width of the eye showing. Perhaps google a couple of profile pictures? :D Something a bit funny with his hand, redline suggestion added.

Brys: his hair, even in the original, looked oddly greenish. Unless it's a residue of seaweed, I'd alter it a bit. :-D Natural color samples for highlights/shadow included.

Tool: the shape of the ribcage is different. Smaller bones in the top, flaring out towards the stomach. Neanderthal hips included. :-D

Attached File  dolmencrit3.jpg (297.98K)
Number of downloads: 1

#2 I'd suggest altering Krughava's stance. Women have a habit of leaning to one side due to the shape and bulk of the hips. Also looks more natural. Her breasts stand too high. Remember that the pectorals attach themselves to the bicep, and tits basically are pouches of fat tissue above them, as cruel as it sounds. ;) The bigger, the heavier and more susceptible to the effects of gravity.
I'm not certain if she should look European as well, but with the full lips and flat nose she comes across as if from different parts of the world. A higher nasal bridge and thinner lips, perhaps, depending on how you'd like her to look like. Lips, just as well as other areas of the face, lose fullness and tightness with age and tend to turn down from the corners.

Up to you, but perhaps add a little bit more chin to some of your characters? :-D I almost have a stronger jaw than Dassem here. :-D

Attached File  dolmencrit4.jpg (124.42K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Kaamos: 29 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

#47 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

This was super helpful Kaamos.

I feel happy that nothing happened to Gruntle. ;)

Theres a ton of issues with brys and Krughava and yes I made a few of the men look almost effeminate. I think fear needs a suping up on the masculinity side perhaps I can throw in a sneer.

Tool has hips. yes I got it and concede to the neanderthalian knowledge. I am interested to what kind of wear and tear a ribcage could suffer after so many years of unlife...

I blame watching Persona 4 for the diamond shaped eyes. will sort out Dassems profile once I get a good enough reference and then will tackle the others.

#48 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Just an update on the Krughava Layer:

Posted Image

Tried to get her to shift her hips and look more natural with her stance older but still somewhat aggressive. Also adjusted features to look more european.

Think I'll detail her up first and post up a solo of each character as I complete.

#49 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Oy, oy, I like this new version. :-D The upper arms look a liiitle bit too long.
I'm too busy drooling over my keyboard at Gruntle's hawtness to find any fault. XD XD

Hmm, not necessarily a bad thing that Fear appears a bit "effeminate", brings variety to the elsewise quite ravaged troupe. I possess too much cavewoman blood to ogle at the Legolas types, but many other women--Seren perhaps?--prefer that kind of appearance.

BTW did Brys have bicolored eyes? ;) I'd recall that was Tehol instead, after Mael gave him a new one?

This post has been edited by Kaamos: 30 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

#50 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Holy crap! You're really keeping busy and I'm just sitting here doing nothing :/

wonderful stuff. do keep up the good work!
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#51 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Is it Tehol? I honestly thought it was Brys. I mean the two are both running a successful messiah theme. Hull seriously Can't get a break. I Can just imagine their mother moaning at him to finish his damn soup, find a nice woman for a change and be more Death denying like his little brothers. ;)

Speaking of Gruntle just checking if his tulwers had stripes? Seems a silly detail but my mind keeps nagging me aabout it. Something happened to them that made them special. Will need to flip through MoI again I think.

Edit

@Grimmy: Hey, long time no see! Glad you're back on!

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 30 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

#52 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi Grim! :-D

Brys looked down to see his brother's eyes flick open. One brown, one blue. Those odd eyes stared up at him from a long moment, then Tehol whispered something.
--Reaper's Gale

A few passages above "Brys Beddict's calm brown eyes shifted yada yada".

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 30 January 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

Speaking of Gruntle just checking if his tulwers had stripes? Seems a silly detail but my mind keeps nagging me aabout it. Something happened to them that made them special. Will need to flip through MoI again I think.

Does the little tiger in his pants have stripes?

Honestly I can't remember. But I guess one can take a wee bit artistic license here and there--I think striped swords would fit his guise. :-D

#53 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I will try both! and report back. And yeah, Brys Brown Eyes he is. ;)

Dassem is SOMEHOW an entirely different person now. Almost asian. Can dassem be a black asian man? I remember talk of mixed blood. RotCG I think. anyways will post up progress later today.

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 30 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

#54 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 27 January 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

I may have a spot for both gruntle and fear. Perhaps an obvious question, whereabouts would fear fit into this group in terms of height? I imagine Krughava to be the tallest but Fear possibly trumps her?

In MT there are many references to the Tiste Edur being generally taller than humans. The phrase "almost as tall as an Edur" or "even taller than an Edur" (when describing the Seregahl, if I recall correctly) gets tossed about. I don't think they tower over humans, but they do seem to tend towards being pretty tall.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#55 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

OK heres my wip. re-arranged a few things and pushed some characters.

Posted Image

Not gonna lie, this is fast becoming a favourite for me. Working on it makes me wanna read the books again.

Ok Dassems at a good place right now, meant to push Krughrava but she seems comfy so I'll work on Brys first then work my way to the right.Not sure if Gruntle should keep the gloves...

Tool needs a better attitude. He looks like an observer, need to make him more aggro

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 30 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

#56 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

I like. Especially Dassem. I think you nailed him [no, not like that - considering the rampant hypersexuality that's been flying around this thread recently I feel like I need to watch what I say]. Honestly, that's pretty much how I see Dassem. The eye still looks a bit fishy, though.

Brys looks a bit too much like a young Whiskeyjack from when you did that recent artwork of the BB. Maybe try to make his hair longer? And tie it back? I like the stance, though. Get the hair out of his face.

Fear looks good, as in appropriately alien and menacing good. Also well done how he looks taller than the others but not like a giant, just tall. Right now, it looks like he's baring his midriff. If that's the case, please give the poor guy some armour. If not, well it does look like it. Love the face, though.
I'd also suggest some sea shells and other fetishes - the Edur collect those. And there's the belt-thing that shows how many foes they have killed and such. But I realize you're working on Brys first, just wanted to point that out.

Iirc, Tool's not exactly proactive when it comes to fighting and being mean, so I don't think there's any harm done should he not be storming forward with killing intent.

I'll leave Gruntle to the cavemen lovers.

Not sure about Krughava. As I interpret it, and mind you, that may be just me, she's not exactly the womanly type. I'd lose those boob cups and give her some proper plate armour, with a flat breast plate. She always strikes me as rather gender-neutral in behaviour and looks, and it's explicitly mentioned in tBH that she does not look the part - only when she speak do they get it that she's a woman. I realize she's a woman and stuff, but there's a world between, say, Abrastal and Krughava.

Anyway, done with picking at everything now ;) Overall I approve, and this makes me want to do some malazan art again, too!

This post has been edited by Puck: 30 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#57 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

WHOOP! The feedback on this thread!

Yeah I have been staring at all types of profile pics and its really a matter of bone structure. the eye "could" be placed there but the human average is higher and set deeper into the ocular cavity.

Brys has started to look alot like Tom Mison so maybe I do need to complete that look...I'll play around with... I will re-work the image. (hypersexual balance restored)

I have been unsure what armor would suit a sea faring race of Edur. The fetishes hint at something rustic at a tribe level. definately no plate and minimal chain? I think intricate hard boiled leather is the best bet for Fear, will cover up his midrif and kit him out appropriately.

Check on the rest, thanks for your input Puck! will keep this all in consideration as I work and reference. ;)

#58 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Don't the Edur wear a lot of sealskin stuff?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#59 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

All I recall was the wearing of Sealskin pants. there's that intro on the edur that mentions how vital the seals were to them...one cannot make leather from Sealskin. That much i'm sure.

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 31 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

#60 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Could you post a larger version; cannot see all the details?

View PostPuck, on 30 January 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

[no, not like that - considering the rampant hypersexuality that's been flying around this thread recently I feel like I need to watch what I say]

;) Finns--there's your problem! An isolate group of Cro-Magnons that bred with trolls and eldritch abominations from the deeper abysses of Norse mythology to stay alive in the brutal climate of the Ice Age has no functions for decorum. French and whatnot fancypants in powdered wigs can flaunt with their quaintness instead. :)

This post has been edited by Kaamos: 31 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users