+Artwork Cheers

#61 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Will post a larger pic tommorow? Gonna be out most of today and uploading on my phone is a headache...
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#62 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

Weekend's good. :-D

#63 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 31 January 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

I have been unsure what armor would suit a sea faring race of Edur. The fetishes hint at something rustic at a tribe level. definately no plate and minimal chain? I think intricate hard boiled leather is the best bet for Fear, will cover up his midrif and kit him out appropriately.

Hard-boiled leather and furs, probably no chain, at least I can't remember it ever mentioned in connection with the Edur. I have nothing about Fear specfically, but my quote-fu insisted there's bound to be some info, so here we go..

On that belt that marks killed enemies..

He [Trull] had not embarrassed his brothers during the wars of subjugation; on his wide belt was a row of twenty-one red-stained rivets, each one marking a coup, and among those seven were ringed in white paint, to signify actual kills. Only his elder brother's belt sported more trophies among the male children of Tomad Sengar, and that was right and proper, given Fear Sengar's eminence among the warriors of the Hiroth tribe.
[MT]

On Trull's armour..

[...] Indeed, he seemed intact, although his leather armour was split and cut all across his chest and shoulders, and he could see that the quilted under-padding bore slices, here and there stained dark red, and beneath them was the sting of shallow wounds on his body.
[...] He checked for his sword and found he was not wearing the belted scabbard. [...]
[MT]

On Binadas's clothing..

A spear was strapped to his younger brother's back, a hide pack slung round one shoulder and resting against a hip; at the opposite side a single-edged longsword in a leather-wrapped wooden scabbard. Binadas was half a head taller than Trull, his visage as weathered as his buckskin clothes. [...]
[MT]

Some general Edur description..

A ring of grey-skinned warriors faced him. Taller than lowlanders, but still a head shorter than the Teblor. Curved sabres were scabbarded to their hips, and much of their clothing was made of some kind of hide, short-haired, dark and glistening. Their long brown hair was intricately braided, hanging down to frame angular, multihued eyes. [...]
[HoC]

[Torvald Nom talking] [...] 'Barbaric-looking, these ones – uh, by Daru standards, that is. Sealskin – true seafarers, then – and strung claws and teeth and shells. [...]'

Maybe that helps some in regards to Fear.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#64 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Switch Tool's spot with Fear, if you want him to move up on the threat-o-meter

I love this work
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#65 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Your artwork is amazing. ;)

#66 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

Thanks guys, well I only worked on Fear today, heres what we got:

Posted Image

Eyes are a bit wonky. will fix it up and post an update on the overall once I get back from the airport.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 01 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#67 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yes, yes, that's cool, I love your Fear! ;) Works much better with that armour!

If you're going to fiddle around with the eyes a bit, may I suggest.. well, Fear's eyes are only ever described as dark, but that can mean a lot and nothing, so may I suggest making them 'the colour of wet sand'? Technically, that'd be Binadas's eye colour, but I imagine something of the sort would make Fear's eyes more striking, a smudge of colour among all the greys.

Edit: Not sure it's a good thing that I can quote Binadas's eye colour from memory.. I might want to look into getting a life.. On the other hand.. Nope.

This post has been edited by Puck: 01 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#68 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostPuck, on 01 February 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Edit: Not sure it's a good thing that I can quote Binadas's eye colour from memory.. I might want to look into getting a life.. On the other hand.. Nope.

get a Life? At the cost of Quote Fu? Heresy!

Although The colour of wet sand...this can only mean one thing! To the beach!

Anyone else feel there should be a group for awkwardly unfortunate bros? like a support group called the BLBA or Bad-luck bros anonymous. A safe haven for the likes of Binadas, Torvald Nom and Cafal. these guys saw some trying times. Darist could've been their sponsor.

#69 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Anyone else feel there should be a group for awkwardly unfortunate bros? like a support group called the BLBA or Bad-luck bros anonymous. A safe haven for the likes of Binadas, Torvald Nom and Cafal. these guys saw some trying times.
Darist could've been their sponsor.

Sounds like your next painting to me...
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#70 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

HAHAHA yeah that actually sounds like a pretty great idea for a painting.

Ok we're rounding the home stretch:

Thumbnail:
Posted Image

Full size:
Spoiler

Ctrl + scroll = ;)

Think I can start working on it as a single flat now.

Playing around with layers has been fun but it limits what I can actually do and how I treat the page. From here on I'll refine it and neaten my colour fields.

I think Hidden One had it right. Tool as a centre character feels right. the image feels balanced. I was thinking of the setting and think a golden light would give this a "heroic" feel. will have to look at colour compliments to balance it out though. Too much yellow hurts me eyes.

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 03 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

#71 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Aaaaaa I love it!! ;) Gruntle just keeps getting hotter. Or I have a serious problem with overflowing estrogen levels. I like Fear's revamped sneer and the new outfit. Although the LOTR crew cannot hire him as a substitute Legolas any more...

Minor asymmetries (eyes mainly) here and there, but cannot discern any larger areas requiring redlining. Tool has ribs still in funny places, though. :) Anatomically they cannot extend that far just under the collarbone; the underarm muscles won't have space to attach themselves and that would hinder the arm mobility as well... I'd readjust Brys's eyes, something a bit off there as well.

#72 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

re: fear's eyes - Tiste have almond shaped eyes. that doesn't look like an almond at all.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#73 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

;)

And also, are they then flat lying almonds or at an angle? :D

Fear's eyes seem fine to me. Even among the almond-shaped kinds there's bound to be some variety.

And last but not least, thank you for that Dolmen - that image was just what I needed to start into my day all motivated and stuff :) (The group image, that is, not those silly almonds, haha)

This post has been edited by Puck: 03 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

#74 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 03 February 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

I have huge issues with that description:

Posted Image

Yeah, well, I see we're both basing on the same web page in this. Which means I meant he should have white people eyes.
Either that, or SE just messed up describing them as such. In any case, I do like your go at it more, just for consistency...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#75 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

If Edur eyes are anything like Andii eyes (and, considering their shared lineage,
Spoiler
, I see little reason to think that they're not), I think they look about right, as the latter are described as "epicanthic" at times, if I recall correctly.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 03 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#76 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yeah...

My main issue with Tiste eyes is a slightly seeming inconsistencies

The andii description of Anomander Rake:

"Anomander Rake's skin was jet-black, befitting Gothos' description, but his mane flowed silver. He stood close to seven feet tall. His features were sharp, as if cut from onyx, a slight upward tilt to the large vertical-pupiled eyes.

A two-handed sword was strapped to Rake's broad back, its silver dragonskull pommel and archaic crosshilt jutting from a wooden scabbard fully six and a half feet long. From the weapon bled power, staining the air like black ink in a pool of water." - (GotM, US HC, p.159 )

Description of Scabandarii who is a close original? possibly the most accurate base point:

...A moment later he sembled into his Tiste Edur form. Skin the shade of hammered iron, long grey hair unbound, a gaunt, aquiline face with hard, close-set eyes. A broad, downturned mouth that bore no lines of laughter. High, unlined brow, diagonally scarred livid white against the dusky skin. -(MT, US HC, p.7 )

So add that together we get slanted, close together almond (diamond) shaped eyes. With epicanthic eyelids (and multihued properties). Its a confusing set of descriptions is what I am saying. I think the main point is the eyes should look alien. so perhaps somewhere between wht I have and a more almond eye shape we get this?:

Posted Image

Edit

Heh Actually its a bit of a silly pic on the second look. I'll just keep it under advisement Gothos and experiment a bit.

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 03 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

#77 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Nah I did say yours looks bloody awesome.

And yes, that pic is damn silly, can't look at it at work 'cause it makes me want to burst out laughing... haha. Where did you find that? Enterprise?

#78 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

yep. I was trying to recall an alien with human eyes and tragically thought of Star trek. ;)

#79 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

alien with human eyes? Spock! ;)

#80 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

And done.

Posted Image

Full sized here.

Just click download to your right. Enjoy.

Need a new project for next week! Something appropriately smoochy and soptastic!

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 06 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users