• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Understanding Dragnipur

#1 User is offline   Chain_of _Cats 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hey

Just wondering little about dragnipur, I understand all the basics: you get killed you're trapped forever.
What I don't understand is the wagon travelling dragnipur, are all the souls in there?
Every throne is an arrow-butt
Kellanved

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

Not sure how far you are, but these are the basics: The slain are chained to the wagon and pulling it. Those who drop dead along the way are tossed into the wagon so they do not drag behind. It adds weight to the wagon for everybody else, but that beats dragging against corpse-anchors.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

OT, but wanted to say I love the OP's username. XD

#4 User is offline   Chain_of _Cats 

• Recruit

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Posted Image
I'm on House of chains, so I've read all the things in MOI concerning Dragnipur.
Every throne is an arrow-butt
Kellanved

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

It is described in GotM. It is always fun to revisit Dragnipur.

Paran found himself walking and he was not alone. Through the gloom he could make out figures on all sides, each shackled with long iron chains, leaning forward as if pulling at an immense weight. The ground underfoot was barren, lifeless. Overhead there was nothing but darkness. Beneath the constant creak of the chains was a heavier sound that Paran could feel through the soles of his boots. Alone unchained, he fell back toward the source of that sound, passing chained figures, many of them not human. A shape appeared, hulking, pitching. A wagon, impossibly huge, its wooden wheels taller than a man. Driven by an insatiable desire to discover what it carried, Paran moved closer.

The beast walked alongside him—they were ever moving forward, the wagon unceasing in its roll. Paran bent close, running his hands on the collar, seeking a join. There was none. Where the chain attached, the link and the collar seemed of one solid piece. Though he knew little of smithing, he believed this attachment would prove the weakest element and should already show signs of strain. But his fingertips told him otherwise. The iron was not even scratched.

Paran ran his hand along the chain, leaving the Hound’s side. He paused, noticing the other beast watching his every move, then continued on. From the animal to the wagon, over seventy armspans of length, he ran his hands from link to link, seeking a change in the feel of the iron, seeking heat, gouges. Nothing. He arrived alongside the wagon. The wheel he walked behind was solid wood, a span in width, nicked and gouged but otherwise featureless. The wall of the bed was twenty or more feet high. The slatted sideboards of withered, bone-gray wood showed spaces a finger’s width between. Paran flinched back on seeing skeletal fingers crowding the cracks, wriggling helplessly.

The wagon’s frame beneath the sideboards drew his attention. Here the wood was black, glistening with pitch. Chain-ends entered it, countless in number, sinking seamlessly into the wood. Under his touch the frame seemed solid, yet it was as if the chain links passed through it—whatever held them, then, was beyond the wagon’s frame. Paran drew a deep breath of the cool, stale air, then ducked under the bed.

The frame’s beam was a dozen spans thick, condensation dripping down from its pitched underside in endless rain. At the inside edge Paran found once again the chains, continuing on farther under the wagon. Grasping one, he followed it inward. The links grew colder as did the air around him. Before long he was forced to release the chain, his hands burned by the cold. The rain from the underside of the wagon came down as slivers of ice. Two paces ahead, the chains converged, swallowed by a suspended pool of absolute darkness. Cold poured from it in pulsing waves. Paran could get no closer.

The chains are held in place within it—within the Warren of Darkness, within Kurald Galain. Should they enter . . . I donot know—I cannot be certain, but the chains may disappear.”

#6 User is offline   Studious Lock 

• Whore of the State
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens
  • Interests:Playing sexy, sexy mandolin.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

View Postnacht, on 06 September 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

= It is always fun to revisit Dragnipur.

Something very few people get to say :(
Hi, I'm Tom, and I put the Man in Mandolin.

#7 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Visit Glorious Dragnipur! Enjoy the ride!
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#8 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 06 September 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

Visit Glorious Dragnipur! Enjoy the ride!

Now I want a Malazan theme park.

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

It's much like Itchy & Scratchy Land, but not quite as dangerous.

#10 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

View Postworry, on 06 September 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

It's much like Itchy & Scratchy Land, but not quite as dangerous.

I prefer Duff Gardens to Itchy & Scratchy Land.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image
Not quite how I pictured her, but it works anyway.

#12 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Surly on looks out for one girl: Surly

Sorry Surly.

Shut up.

And i will rep that as soon as im on a real computer and not a mobile device.

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 06 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

#13 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

I know this is very inappropriate for the book forum too, but i sing a version of the Whalers on the Moon song from Futurama but as Gardens of the Moon. Its my greatest achievement.

#14 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

You guys should have your own show in the Simpsons.

The Worry & Stonny show.

or maybe the "The Stoned and the Worried"

This post has been edited by nacht: 07 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

#15 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

These wagon scenes are consistently awesome. Description from Toll the Hounds:

Spoiler

Some Malazan fan who's also a professional animator needs to get on Kickstarter and fund some animated shorts. I'd pay to see stuff like this...
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#16 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

View Postnacht, on 06 September 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

It is described in GotM. It is always fun to revisit Dragnipur.

Paran found himself walking and he was not alone. Through the gloom he could make out figures on all sides, each shackled with long iron chains, leaning forward as if pulling at an immense weight. The ground underfoot was barren, lifeless. Overhead there was nothing but darkness. Beneath the constant creak of the chains was a heavier sound that Paran could feel through the soles of his boots. Alone unchained, he fell back toward the source of that sound, passing chained figures, many of them not human. A shape appeared, hulking, pitching. A wagon, impossibly huge, its wooden wheels taller than a man. Driven by an insatiable desire to discover what it carried, Paran moved closer.

The beast walked alongside him—they were ever moving forward, the wagon unceasing in its roll. Paran bent close, running his hands on the collar, seeking a join. There was none. Where the chain attached, the link and the collar seemed of one solid piece. Though he knew little of smithing, he believed this attachment would prove the weakest element and should already show signs of strain. But his fingertips told him otherwise. The iron was not even scratched.

Paran ran his hand along the chain, leaving the Hound's side. He paused, noticing the other beast watching his every move, then continued on. From the animal to the wagon, over seventy armspans of length, he ran his hands from link to link, seeking a change in the feel of the iron, seeking heat, gouges. Nothing. He arrived alongside the wagon. The wheel he walked behind was solid wood, a span in width, nicked and gouged but otherwise featureless. The wall of the bed was twenty or more feet high. The slatted sideboards of withered, bone-gray wood showed spaces a finger's width between. Paran flinched back on seeing skeletal fingers crowding the cracks, wriggling helplessly.

The wagon's frame beneath the sideboards drew his attention. Here the wood was black, glistening with pitch. Chain-ends entered it, countless in number, sinking seamlessly into the wood. Under his touch the frame seemed solid, yet it was as if the chain links passed through it—whatever held them, then, was beyond the wagon's frame. Paran drew a deep breath of the cool, stale air, then ducked under the bed.

The frame's beam was a dozen spans thick, condensation dripping down from its pitched underside in endless rain. At the inside edge Paran found once again the chains, continuing on farther under the wagon. Grasping one, he followed it inward. The links grew colder as did the air around him. Before long he was forced to release the chain, his hands burned by the cold. The rain from the underside of the wagon came down as slivers of ice. Two paces ahead, the chains converged, swallowed by a suspended pool of absolute darkness. Cold poured from it in pulsing waves. Paran could get no closer.

The chains are held in place within it—within the Warren of Darkness, within Kurald Galain. Should they enter . . . I do not know—I cannot be certain, but the chains may disappear."

Doing my 1st reread of MoI and just realized that (spoilered in case of reference to info beyond MoI; can't recall)
Spoiler

Either way, I so love all these reread revelations and realizations!

#17 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

I'm afraid you're incorrect.
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

View Postworry, on 01 December 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

Spoiler

Really? I did consider that but isn't the Imperial Warren actually (definitely beyond MoI)
Spoiler

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:19 AM

Nope, that's

Spoiler

#20 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:20 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 01 December 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 01 December 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

Spoiler

Really? I did consider that but isn't the Imperial Warren actually (definitely beyond MoI)
Spoiler

No, the warren you're thinking of is (spoilers probably beyond MoI)
Spoiler

EDIT: Worry beat me to it.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 01 December 2017 - 02:21 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users