Malazan Empire: Zadakeem 1st readthrough and conversation - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Zadakeem 1st readthrough and conversation Was: Newcomer to Malazan and his questions

#61 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostKanese S, on 04 June 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

I wonder if Zadakeem ended up not being able to pause reading.

"Zadakeem's thoughts on The crippled god" thread due tomorrow.
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#62 User is offline   Zadakeem 

• Corporal

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostKanese S, on 04 June 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

I wonder if Zadakeem ended up not being able to pause reading.

Actually, My dear friends. It is the reverse. I have had to stop reading entirely. Due to my getting a job as a book reviewer, I have had to stop all reading. I will be reading a few short books at the first to get out a good list of reviews. But, within a few months time I should be reviewing Malazan. I will be starting over.

:angry:

#63 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#64 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

I just finished reading GotM last week and I have to agree with the OP, I think the confusion you are meant to feel while reading it is exaggerated, I followed the book perfectly fine and I just trusted to author that if I didn't understand something then it was because I wasn't meant to understand it. Anyway I think the book was brilliant and I can't wait to read the rest but I have a question, I'v heard a lot of pepole saying I should read Night of Knives before I read Deadhouse Gate, do you guys recommend that? I have both books so I'm good with starting with ether.
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#65 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 05 June 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

...I just trusted to author that if I didn't understand something then it was because I wasn't meant to understand it...YET.

This and fixed.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#66 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I just finished reading GotM last week and I have to agree with the OP, I think the confusion you are meant to feel while reading it is exaggerated, I followed the book perfectly fine and I just trusted to author that if I didn't understand something then it was because I wasn't meant to understand it. Anyway I think the book was brilliant and I can't wait to read the rest but I have a question, I'v heard a lot of pepole saying I should read Night of Knives before I read Deadhouse Gate, do you guys recommend that? I have both books so I'm good with starting with ether.

Personally I think Night of Knives is best read after Midnight Tides, definitely read it before you start the Bonehunters though. You can read it at any point, but it works best after House of Chains, and due to links with events in the bonehunters should be read before that, so between Midnight tides and bonehunters is generally considered the time to read it (plus that is when it was first published)

#67 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 05 June 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Personally I think Night of Knives is best read after Midnight Tides, definitely read it before you start the Bonehunters though. You can read it at any point, but it works best after House of Chains, and due to links with events in the bonehunters should be read before that, so between Midnight tides and bonehunters is generally considered the time to read it (plus that is when it was first published)

So do you think I should just read it by publication and go for Deadhouse Gates then?
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#68 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yup, I'd read DhG first. The read order by D'rek posted ealier in the thread is the recommended order, it's pretty close to publication order.

Read order:

GotM > DG > MoI > HoC > MT > NoK >BH> RG > RotCG > TtH > SW > DoD > TCG > OST > B&B

#69 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well, since we're talking reading order again and the novellas were brought up, I couldn't resist posting this again :angry:

Attached File  reading order.jpg (426.62K)
Number of downloads: 2

This post has been edited by D'rek: 05 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#70 User is offline   James Hetfield 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Women, alcohol and MBotF

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Not sure if this was resolved earlier in the thread about Sanderson and the Malazan books. So I will put in what I know.

I have met him several times. He used to be a member of Malazanempire.com before we moved to this new format. Once he got the Wheel of Time contract he disappeared from the forum. Probably 5 years ago. He would often comment in the Other Authors forum. He has read at least the first few Malazan novels because I have conversed with him about them. I doubt he has read past Bonehunters, unless he has found time to read them with the whole Wheel of Time writing going on. He enjoyed Erikson's writing.

No other info past that. Cant wait to read his second Way of Kings novel. All his other works have been OK to me but that series has some real potential!!

#71 User is offline   Zadakeem 

• Corporal

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostJames Hetfield, on 05 June 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Not sure if this was resolved earlier in the thread about Sanderson and the Malazan books. So I will put in what I know.

I have met him several times. He used to be a member of Malazanempire.com before we moved to this new format. Once he got the Wheel of Time contract he disappeared from the forum. Probably 5 years ago. He would often comment in the Other Authors forum. He has read at least the first few Malazan novels because I have conversed with him about them. I doubt he has read past Bonehunters, unless he has found time to read them with the whole Wheel of Time writing going on. He enjoyed Erikson's writing.

No other info past that. Cant wait to read his second Way of Kings novel. All his other works have been OK to me but that series has some real potential!!

That is some good information, I was not able to meet him myself and ask as I desired. Thanks :blink:

#72 User is offline   Zadakeem 

• Corporal

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Alright!

I have returned to Malazan...(thank goodness)

I have also re-started the book, and thank goodness I did!! It is so much better!!! (even though I baraly even got halfway last time) So still, lets limit the spoilers.

So, I was REALLY excited for the Cards. And I am now to the first card session. Allow me to speculate...just a bit.

The first card is the...."Night of Dark" being the first card...ruling the game. So...the person putting things in motion. Now...the desription sounds an AWFUL lot like Anomander Drake...connection? I mean...smoking sword...Testii Andii skin....

Next is my Oponn. The twins, the first appearance of the coin. Now. They are chance. Success and Failure, correct? How do they push, pull? I belive we disussed this before. But I would like to know their powers in depth so that I can see their hand (possibly).

And that is that, hope to talk with you all. Its good to be back.

#73 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostZadakeem, on 19 July 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Anomander Drake

He started from the bottom, now he's here!

Re: Oponn, the Lady pulls (out from danger) and the Lord pushes (into danger) I believe. I don't want to get too into spoiler territory, but as far as I can tell even in GotM they are pretty powerful when it comes to mortals, particularly humans, but since they try to avoid run-ins with other gods or ascendants, they do mostly try to be circumspect about it. You have to find out for yourself if they have an agenda that reaches beyond their roles as arbiters of fortune.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#74 User is offline   Zadakeem 

• Corporal

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

View Postworry, on 19 July 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

View PostZadakeem, on 19 July 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Anomander Drake

He started from the bottom, now he's here!

Hahaha, I would certainly hope that I am getting SOMWHERE. Although, I also hope I spelt the name right. It would be a shame to have made progress with flaws haha.

Thankyou for the information on Oponn. I figure they play quite a role throughout all the books. They are too interesting of an element to just pass up and let fade into the back story. It will be exciting to see what they do. They bring a true element of "what will happen" simply with their presence. Which, I assume, is exactly what 'Sail is thinking right about now....

When speaking of Oponn. Is it an it (Singular) or they (multiple)?

#75 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

I think of them as "they" and that seems more common on the board, but in the books I think it depends who's speaking. And in particular reference to the Oponn card in the Deck of Dragons, I'm thinking singular? It's certainly one card, with a head at each end (like face cards in a standard playing deck, but with the Lord and Lady rather than one face repeated), and it depends which one is at the top when it's laid out in a reading.

#76 User is offline   Zadakeem 

• Corporal

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Also....house Shadow...that is the two Gods who commited Sorry into their service correct? Thay are trying to take down Laseen. Right?

#77 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yup!

#78 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

They and Laseen have some issues on which they don't quite see eye to eye.

Cotillion = "The Rope".
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#79 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostKanese S, on 22 July 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Cotillion = "The Rope".

Also Shadowthrone = Ammanas .

Any ref to Oponn refers to both of them unless the speaker specifies the Lady ('good' luck) or the Lord ('bad' luck). Also, the good/bad description can't be relied on because what's good for one person may be bad or worse for someone else.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users