• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X-box One Thread

#41 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Unless that is doing phenomenally well about 6 months after release, I'll be getting a Ps4.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#42 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

http://www.gamespot....ays-on-6408725/

Ugh. Just...ugh.

I hope that come launch time all of the outrage will still be there and people will vote with their wallets. I started this generation as a Microsoft fan, but the complete destruction of the 360's dashboard (seriously, fuck these intrusive ads that blast Lady Gaga when I scroll over them), having to pay for Xbox Gold but not getting any benefit (as opposed to PS+, which I don't own but fully support), and the lack of interesting exclusives has shifted my support over to Sony. This reveal is the deal breaker.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#43 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

It seems like theyre hedging there bets with the 360 still being viable with some big news coming soon. Backwards compatibility not being a factor aside that interview is full of bullshit buzzwords. Ive never played a console and thought it was a vibrant technology or whatever.

Ill be sticking with the 360 for a good many moons I feel.

#44 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 22 May 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

It's also very interesting to see how overall positive the mainstream media reaction was to the announcement and presentation.

If by 'mainstream media' you mean lots of gaming sites who didn't expect a ton of games to be revealed, then it isn't really surprising or interesting.

This reveal was all about taking a bite of that Wii-demographic that the Wii U is utterly failing to get interested.

E3 is, and has always been, the deciding factor for hardcore gamers.

Microsoft certainly did fail after the conference when different parts (execs, pr, xboxsupport) talked about 5 different 'topics' and gave multiple different answers on each topic that were contradictory.

M$ needs to come out at E3 with some amazing first-party/exclusive games, or Sony is going to ride this drm/rumor backlash into an early lead.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#45 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostObdigore, on 23 May 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 22 May 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

It's also very interesting to see how overall positive the mainstream media reaction was to the announcement and presentation.

If by 'mainstream media' you mean lots of gaming sites who didn't expect a ton of games to be revealed, then it isn't really surprising or interesting.

Uh, no, by mainstream I mean mainstream. Daily newspapers, national media, etc. I mean non-specifically gaming related sites. Many of them seemed wowed by the presentation (and I'm talking about the presentation here, not the unfolding events afterward). I think it's interesting how that disparity of reaction suggests gamers live in a bubble world of sorts. Just because we in the majority seem to have found the presentation terribly underwhelming, does not mean that the (obviously much greater) majority of the public-at-large did - or at least their media 'representatives'.

In essence, Microsoft know what they're doing, even if many gamers find it unlikeable.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#46 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

It seems that the Xbox execs don't want customers. They're doing their best to make everyone dislike them at least. Except maybe the shareholders. They're probably ecstatic.

nether the PlayStation 4 nor the Xbox One can play game disks made for their predecessors. Sony said it is working to make its gaming system offer customers a way to play older games made for the PlayStation 3 (and earlier) by streaming all the information from servers. Microsoft indicated it isn't planning to offer that type of service. Microsoft's Mattrick says he doesn't think compatibility is really a problem. He said only 5% of customers play older games on a new videogame system anyway, so spending time and money to develop technology to allow them to play older games isn't worth it.

"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards," he said.

Social media research firm Fizziology said its surveys of potential customers before the Xbox event showed 12% of them would be unhappy if there wasn't backwards compatibility.

Michael Olson, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, said in a note to investors that negative sentiment could hurt sales in the short term, but it could also help drive sales for the new devices, "as gamers rebuild their entire library for a new console."

I mean, who the hell would admit to anything like that in public, never mind in a world renowned media outlet?

Edit: source.

This post has been edited by Satan: 23 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Legalise drugs! And murder!

#47 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Posted Image

#48 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Microsoft sure is in damage control mode since their press conference. I've been getting frequent emails in my inbox with "Xbox One" as the subject. The latest subject is: Xbox One: How it Games. What Microsoft doesn't realize (and I don't think I'm an outlier in this action) is I delete those emails immediately without giving them even a glance. They better bring their A game to E3.

#49 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

Yeah, Microsoft just confirmed today that the "Connect once every 24 hours" is a thing. They've made my next-gen decision for me. Sony has had far better exclusives this generation, and the fact that they aren't supporting DRM bullshit immediately puts me on their side. I'll just have to play Halo 5 & 6 at a friend's house.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#50 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

The most positive reaction to that bit of info I've seen is 'I'll still buy one but I feel bad for soldiers, rig workers and rural living dudes.' Yeah, I said positive. Microsoft have a couple of Everests balancing on each other to scale PR wise here.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#51 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

It also requires connection every hour if you are playing one of your games on a someone else's xbox :whistle:
And the "family" option they have is not going to work well for any household that ends up with a second system for the kid's room.

I kinda feel like this whole "your xbox/somebody else's xbox" separation combined with the accounts thing is a rather backwards step. I mean, I realise that both consoles do it a little at the moment, but I really feel like so much of the potential of consoles over PCs is that all the instances of the same console are running the same hardware. You tie games to a sign in account in the cloud, so which instance of the console should be irrelevant. I should be able to head to a friend's place, log in as me and play my games with them as though I was at home. With either downloading, bringing the disc or chucking the game on a USB (in the case of download only titles) as options for the software. No extra bullshit. If you delete the game off your account, you should be able to pass the disc on.
Or you ignore the accounts thing and base it entirely on the console and disc. If the disc is in there, you can play it on any account on that instance of the console as long as the disc is there. The way it was done until recently.
Pick one or the other, don't use a stupid combination of both.

Also, I really don't understand why the standing law in most countries for software is not "the developers etc. own the IP of the software, you can't change it and claim it as your own etc., but you own the copy of the software that you paid for (digital and physical copies). Ability to sell that copy (you cannot copy it for the purposes of distributing it to others) or pass it onwards is yours and must be allowed."
This would bring it in line with every other product that isn't software.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#52 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

I think the thing which M$ either haven't realized yet or are disregarding, is that now the advantages of consoles over PCs are practically null. Sure, stable target for development, great. That's it, now. They've brought DRM to the fore and everything else your console can do, the PC will do better. And the worst part is that the DRM isn't even publisher-instigated like on PCs. It's hardware-manufacturer instigated. Fail.

If Sony does things similar, the console world beyond the current gen is dead to me, I think. :S

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#53 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image

#54 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostSilencer, on 07 June 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

I think the thing which M$ either haven't realized yet or are disregarding, is that now the advantages of consoles over PCs are practically null. Sure, stable target for development, great. That's it, now. They've brought DRM to the fore and everything else your console can do, the PC will do better. And the worst part is that the DRM isn't even publisher-instigated like on PCs. It's hardware-manufacturer instigated. Fail.

If Sony does things similar, the console world beyond the current gen is dead to me, I think. :S

Did... did you read MS's little statement today? They are pretty much saying that the publisher is going to determine if you can gift the game to your friends or sell it or what. It is clearly a ploy to get into the used game market, because Gamestop has been making cash hand over fist and Devs, Publishers, and the Hardware side all want in on that money.

Anyway, if they are smart, they will start doing DEMOs of all the games they do on xboxlive for free, and do a rental service on xbox live. I'd pay a 5$ fee to DL a game for 2 days, and if I then purchase within a week that 5$ goes off the purchase price.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 07 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#55 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostObdigore, on 07 June 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 07 June 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

Did... did you read MS's little statement today? They are pretty much saying that the publisher is going to determine if you can gift the game to your friends or sell it or what. It is clearly a ploy to get into the used game market, because Gamestop has been making cash hand over fist and Devs, Publishers, and the Hardware side all want in on that money.

Anyway, if they are smart, they will start doing DEMOs of all the games they do on xboxlive for free, and do a rental service on xbox live. I'd pay a 5$ fee to DL a game for 2 days, and if I then purchase within a week that 5$ goes off the purchase price.

You're misreading me. What I was saying is that this is not software-based DRM. This is not the publishers *creating* DRM systems to "protect" their games. This is the publishers using a feature of the hardware to "protect" their games, ergo it's a lot more intrusive and difficult to get around, and more importantly it allows the publishers (via the medium provided by the hardware, NOT by the games) to CHARGE us to lend/resell/etc the games to our friends and strangers.

And the fact that it is "up to publishers" is nothing more than an (horrible) attempt at dodging bad publicity by M$. THEY put the functionality in there, THEY will be the ones enforcing it, and THEY are ultimately responsible for its presence on consoles, even if it is driven by publisher's greed and lobbying.

And don't put your money on demos, Obdigore - the entertainment industry has more or less admitted over the years that they make a large percentage of their profits off people buying things "blind" and that demos/samplers are the DEVIL because they allow people to realize how crap the product is before they buy it. >.>
I'd love that to be a move they make, though, but it would never make up for otherwise treating your entire consumer base as if they were thieves and pirates, and further pissing on the concept of a person actually being able to sell on something they've already purchased for - fuck that.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#56 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Francis says it so succinctly (and sexy, I might add Posted Image).

#57 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Will my current xbox and the way I use it be affected by this new piece of crap?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#58 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

From what I've seen/read, I see no reason not to become a PC gamer when I decide to buy a new system. Seriously, why spend 800 bucks on something so ridiculous when a gaming PC is just a little more?
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#59 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Are the new Xbox and PS really going to be $800?

#60 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostOveractive Imagination, on 08 June 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Are the new Xbox and PS really going to be $800?

I read that somewhere, but now I'm seeing 400 ish.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users