• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X-box One Thread

#21 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

I just put up a post on facebook giving the run down on my thoughts. Looks like I agree with much of what you're all saying. You'll have to excuse me for just copy/pasting it, but it's late here and I can't be bothered rewriting it (as much from apathy about the presentation as from the time).

---

Well, that was a disjointed and fairly meh Xbox reveal.

They've thrown chronological sense to the wind and are calling it the Xbox One :p
It's mildly catchy, and I get that it's supposed to be the "one" device hooked up to your TV, but still...
Also, the control looks nice, but the console and Kinect look like they were made in the 90's (they remind me of the Arnie Totall Recall movie's idea of future cars). The control has 40 new design changes, and they point out two, one of which we could of see. So IS there anything new or interesting about the control or not? (it's updated and will feel nicer and respond better, which is good, but they led it seeming like there was more than that)

The OS seems pretty cool. The things it incorporates and the way it can move nicely between everything. Ease and speed at which it functions and being able to essentially make your TV into multiple screens is great. Pity a lot of the TV watching/interaction side of it will really only be useful in the US.
They'll have in system game recording like the PS4.
Not sure about the Kinect stuff, looks like they may have finally given the Kinect powerful enough hardware to back it up to make it possibly good, but not sure. And they've been guilty of faking how effective/how much it reads movements in their previous presentations, we'll see.
Even less info about the tech specs than the PS4.

Really? They lead the games section of the presentation with four sports games? Time to continue watching Evangelion on my other screen till they get to something interesting. Oh hey, they finally showed the actual sports games, kinda.
Now another sports game! (racing this time) As the Forbes coverage put it "I swear we hit photorealism in racing games last console generation, and everything now is just icing. You can see the individual threads of rubber in the tires!" :p And if you want that level of excess, I think Drive Club's obsessiveness has Forza beat.
Quantum Break. Could be cool, but that's based on the company, not the weird trailer that made no sense (did she cause the crash? Is she seeing the future? Why is a ship chimney/tower stronger than a steel bridge?).

I feel like this Halo series section should have gone in with the TV stuff. Show something interesting games wise already. (though I will say, the show could be awesome)
Oh I see, it's another TV section? More sports?! And one that only the US give a shit about?!

And he's finishing the presentation already? With nothing new/interesting to say and having shown zero interesting in games?

Aha! One final ga-...Oh, it's a new CoD game. One that has already been announced. Oh great they're continuing with timed "exclusives". So... But it wa-... *sigh* I think I'll need a new post to rant about CoD Ghosts.

In summary, some cool to great base features in the way the system as a whole operates, but otherwise a poorly executed/put together show with a bunch of stuff we probably won't be able to use in Australia and a smattering of games aimed at jocks.

---
For those who didn't like the look of the multiscreening, I mostly like it for the ability for things like flipping open a browser window to check something during a show's ad break.
The related post about CoD.
---

CoD Ghosts...
Really? Really?!
You are what the Xbox One presentation finishes with, and that's what you do for your bit?
It'll have better writing, cool.
New engine, cool, looks decent to pretty great, but nothing ground breaking (which when just looking at graphics is getting harder these days anyway).
:(
That is what I think of your "new features". You're "introducing" the ability to lean around corners and to slide. Oh and you can now change how you look in multiplayer, with choices of head and stuff. That's how you're shaking these games up? This is your version of not playing it safe? Holy...shit. Did you design this game 10 years ago?

Wait, wait, wait, hold on a sec. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY thought Modern Warfare 3's graphics were at all great or "pushing the edges of what was possible at the time". In fact the main complaint about the game was that it was using an engine several years old and compared to it's main competitor at the time, it looked pretty shit.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#22 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Sorry about the double post, but I just saw that IGN is saying that the Xbox One will not work without the Kinect attached.
Not something I appreciate at all.
Though checking out their page about it they have the following quote as their evidence from Xbox marketing director:
"Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes,"
That kinda seems like the Kinect won't function without the Xbox, not the other way around (current Kinects can be used with a PC), but that is without the context that quote is given in, so I'll have to take their word for the moment about which way around it means.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#23 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm really fond of my 360, but from what i've seen I'm not getting the Xbox1.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#24 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 21 May 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Mmm, feeling similarly right now.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#25 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'm happy with PC master race for the time being.

Once the Playstation 4 has a handful of interesting exclusives, I'll probably dish out the money for it. There are lots of great games coming out this year for current generation consoles so I'm not really feeling a rush to get something new. And despite the software not being compelling, if the next Xeno game mirrors or even exceeds the quality of Xenoblade Chronicles, I'll probably find myself getting a Wii U at some point.

Xbox One, on the other hand...well, Halo is the only Xbox exclusive that I ever really cared for, and it's not enough to make me want this console.

I'm still going to wait to see how this all plays out, but it seems like Microsoft is sold on the idea of the Xbox One being an entertainment device rather than a video game console with some extra featuers.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#26 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

I like the Xbox One controller returning more to the original Xbox form. Those were the best mass-produced controllers I'd ever used.

However, it really does seem like going PC and buying a controller is the best course forwards. Better capabilities, less idiotic hampering/lockdown, better visuals and less bullshit "have to buy this addon to make it work good" features.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

http://www.polygon.c...xbox-one-reveal

This is hilarious. People with Kinects who were watching the reveal over their Xboxes had to cope with their Kinects doing strange things every time the presenters said 'Xbox' plus something :(

#28 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

So, this is all still very fuzzy and confusing on the details, but the latest news, coming from comments made by the Microsoft VP, is that:

- There will be an activation code with every game, which will link the purchased game to your personal account (or a family account, if more than one person uses the same household Xbox).

- If you decide to give the game to someone else, there is a fee they would have to pay to activate it. But: this is apparently no used game or minimal fee, this is:

- THE FULL COST OF THE GAME, AS IF IT WAS NEW.

Here's where it gets fuzzy, though. The way he was talking about it, it seemed as if there would be some kind of stratification of fees. As in, if the game is new, you would have to pay the full cost to activate it on another console account. But this also seems to suggest that once a game is not considered 'new', you might pay a discounted cost, as you would had you purchased this now older and presumably discounted game in a store. But how/when/who would decide when a game is no longer considered new? And this bit is still just speculation.

The next thing is that apparently there will be some sort of ability to sell/trade used games online over the Xbox1. Presumably this means trading the activation code, so it's deleted off your account and able to be played on someone else's. But what you get in exchange - money, MS Points, discounts off your next purchase - is unclear. Also unclear is for how much you would be purchasing these used codes for.

What I really dislike about all this is how unclear they are being about a lot of things. They are really reticent to give details. That just immediately starts ringing alarm bells in my head.

#29 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

I had my suspicions somewhat confirmed- that as a hardware company, Microsoft still cannot get over the temptation to drive their development from the software side.

Sony got off to a rough start with the PS3 and did great things with it, primarily IMHO, because they know good hardware when they build it.

Kinect integration is a gamble. A gamble that reads "Look at this gaming platform! And look how awesome it is for non-gaming purposes!" Color me uninspired.

Cloud integration is a bad pseudonym for always-on support. Not to mention saving your data in the cloud gives them an in to later hold your data hostage for service agreement changes (read: price hikes).

And I don't think they wow'd anyone enough, least of all me.

This post has been edited by Adjutant Stormy~: 21 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#30 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

Khellendros said:

1369168247[/url]' post='1056724']

Morgoth said:

1369164643[/url]' post='1056707']

Yep. I live in the middle of nowhere. As in, my Internet is a Verizon mobile hotspot with limited data because there is no Internet out here in BFN. Think its gonnabe difficult to use the One.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#31 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 May 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

Khellendros said:

1369168247[/url]' post='1056724']

Morgoth said:

1369164643[/url]' post='1056707']

Yep. I live in the middle of nowhere. As in, my Internet is a Verizon mobile hotspot with limited data because there is no Internet out here in BFN. Think its gonnabe difficult to use the One.

At the moment they're saying it has to be online at least once every 24 hours, even if you're playing a single-player game or just watching a DVD. And, obviously, has to be connected when you're activating and installing the game. Not sure what would happen if it didn't connect in that 24-hour timeframe though - would it just stop working???

#32 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 21 May 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

At the moment they're saying it has to be online at least once every 24 hours, even if you're playing a single-player game or just watching a DVD. And, obviously, has to be connected when you're activating and installing the game. Not sure what would happen if it didn't connect in that 24-hour timeframe though - would it just stop working???

We can hope not. But we can only hope.

I'm waiting for Final Fantasy N (where N > 14) to get announced before I dive into a new console.

This post has been edited by Adjutant Stormy~: 22 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#33 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Incidentally, this all makes it much clearer why EA decided to announce that they were getting rid of online passes - not because they were hugely unpopular, but because Microsoft are now going to do it for them, whilst EA can say they got rid of the hated policy.

This also makes me fear that Sony are going down the same route, and have simply not made any comments on it as yet.

#34 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

Is this a good summary?

This post has been edited by D'rek: 22 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#35 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

Posted Image

bla bla bla

#36 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Wish they had showed more games. Only one that might be actual in-game renders is Forza, because they were getting close to that on the old hardware. If the Alan Wake stuff or the EA Sports (its in the game! lol) is actual in-game footage I'll be very surprised.

I like how it is able to switch between 'apps' as fast as it can and I'm kind of digging the Frank Lloyd Wright look. I cant decide if I really like the new controller or not... the one piece shoulder button looks odd, but I've not tried so I can't say.

All and all, this release just made me excited for E3. Nothing really surprising and hell, at least they showed the console :(
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#37 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Considering what Microsoft showed, this thread probably is more appropriately located under the Movies, TV and Music forum.

E3 is going to be something to behold this year..... should be a donnybrook between Microsoft and Sony. I wonder what Nintendo is going to bring? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sC75aU47GRk

#38 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 22 May 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Considering what Microsoft showed, this thread probably is more appropriately located under the Movies, TV and Music forum.

E3 is going to be something to behold this year..... should be a donnybrook between Microsoft and Sony. I wonder what Nintendo is going to bring? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sC75aU47GRk

Nintendo isn't going to be at E3. Well, they wont be having a large press conference, at least.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#39 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostD, on 22 May 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Is this a good summary?

Heh, unfortunately, it does seem to be pretty accurate! About the presentation in any case, though i think it still remains to be seen whether that truly will be their only focuses (foci?).

#40 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

It's also very interesting to see how overall positive the mainstream media reaction was to the announcement and presentation.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users