• You cannot reply to this topic

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

#161 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 November 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Fair point about Chloe...she actually reminds me of Eliza Dushku without the smarmyness.

You say this as tho it is a good thing why?

View Postpolishgenius, on 22 November 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I think a lot of the problems with this show come from the fact that it's cast and structured like a Joss Whedon show, but it isn't one really. Joss is a dab hand at taking things that really shouldn't work and making them do so via a combination of great writing and solid directorial/creative choices - here, it's been set up in the same vein but just hasn't quite got together.
It's improving and its not far off really clicking by now, but it's still all a bit muddled.

Joss is also prone to focusing on the long game causing a loss of viewer eyeballs (see FIREFLY, DOLLHOUSE).
Am hoping AoS can avoid that trap.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#162 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

I like Eliza Dushku...but not when she's in full-on Smarmy-Faith-mode.

Or do you not like Eliza Dushku?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#163 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 November 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Joss is also prone to focusing on the long game causing a loss of viewer eyeballs (see FIREFLY, DOLLHOUSE).

That's not on Joss though. That's on the networks that cancelled those shows before they were allowed a chance at the long game.

Any network that takes on his shows now need to have all Seasons of Buffy under their belts before committing (thus seeing his long game tactics in full completion), and need to take note of the ravenous, epicly ravenous FIREFLY fanbase before deciding to cancel ANYTHING.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#164 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 November 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Am hoping AoS can avoid that trap.

Well I like the long game style though it does make him more suited to an HBO show than mass-market network television, but in this instance, one of the co-producers is Jeff Loeb who's reportedly absolutely the opposite and is extremely keen on one-and-done stories in telly shows, so that might balance.

Though the involvement of Jeff Loeb in anything hasn't really been a good sign for years.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#165 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 22 November 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Though the involvement of Jeff Loeb in anything hasn't really been a good sign for years.

coughHEROEScough

#166 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 November 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

coughHEROEScough

What, you mean that show that had only one season?

One.

Just one.

#167 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 November 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 November 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

coughHEROEScough

What, you mean that show that had only one season?

One.

Just one.

What about the second...oh...I get the game. :)

#168 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Liked last night's ep, but mostly because of two things:

1. Revelation that Ward and May have had drunken/relaxing sex before! Whaaaaa?! Crazyness folks.

2. May backstory. I thought it was solid backstory, but I FULLY expect to see it in a flashback prooperly in the future. Coulson does a good job of explaining it to Skye, but I'd love to see it shown.

Enjoyed FitzSimmons attempts at hazing Skye, especially the backfiring mop/gas mask scare that Fitz did to himself.

#169 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

I got so bored I stopped halfway through the episode!

#170 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

I was pretty bored with last night's episode too. Last night was supposed to be a let's get to know May story, but really it seems like they crammed all the getting to know her into the last 10 minutes of the show. I think it would have been more effective to have little bits and pieces continue to be dropped throughout the season a la Coulson in Tahiti than to try to dedicate an episode to her that only made her seem more one-dimensional rather than fleshing her out. I dunno, I think it was confusing to have the prank thing going on at the same time, because even though I think Coulson was likely telling the truth, the fact that FitzSimmons first blew the story way out of proportion, then Agent Ward played along, makes it a little shady whether or not Coulson was exaggerating and playing along with the prank, or not.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#171 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have the last five eps backlogged on the DVR but wow everyone i know IRL and half the forumites who watch seem to be dropping the show, largely due to boredom.

#172 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

Not seen episode with May's backstory yet,

but i'm still enjoying this quite a bit.
meh. Link was dead :(

#173 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Dropped it since episode 2, seems as if I have not missed much.

#174 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Oops, didn't read the full thread. So I assumed it was still poor. Show was too dull for me when I saw it. So even if it is getting better, has it reached the level yet at which "respectable" starts? Put it simply, if the Joss Whedon and Marvel Cinematic Universe links were taken away, would the show be able to stand on its own to bring in fans and henceforth be worth my time? For comparsion, I've been watching Arrow and have been enjoying that, Sleepy Hollow was very good too, though I have missed the last few episodes of that due to work. Both those shows have good character interaction and good cheesy fun plots. Is AoS at their levels of quality yet? Or is it still at early Star Trek Voyager levels of blandness. Not bad, not good. Just there.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 09 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

#175 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 09 December 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Oops, didn't read the full thread. So I assumed it was still poor. Show was too dull for me when I saw it. So even if it is getting better, has it reached the level yet at which "respectable" starts? Put it simply, if the Joss Whedon and Marvel Cinematic Universe links were taken away, would the show be able to stand on its own to bring in fans and henceforth be worth my time? For comparsion, I've been watching Arrow and have been enjoying that, Sleepy Hollow was very good too, though I have missed the last few episodes of that due to work. Both those shows have good character interaction and good cheesy fun plots. Is AoS at their levels of quality yet? Or is it still at early Star Trek Voyager levels of blandness. Not bad, not good. Just there.

Having been given the 22-ep full season order after Ep 2 by the network has given Joss and Co. the time to do what they do best. The long game. Therefore by around the 5th episode mark you can begin to see the team come together, and the characters begin to flesh...it's a marked improvement from ep to ep after that with various character plotlines progressing (albeit slowly)...there is one ep that concerns what we all imagine to be the overall plot arc (concerning some dude in prison called The Clairvoyant, and a mysterious woman named Raina played by Ruth Negga who appears to want to use folk with superpowers [like the guy from the pilot] to test some nefarious stuff)...that's only really been touched on...and that will apparently be the wraparound to the two-part Mid-Season finale, THE BRIDGE, which brings back the superhero (Mike Peterson) from the pilot as well (and I think he joins SHIELD)...so beyond that there will be another half season to go, the finale fo which is meant to lead into CAP 2 in theatres.

They have also introduced a heavier-weight side character or two like Victoria Hand.

Could it stand on its own without the Marvel umbrella? Eh, probably as well as any Joss show would have midway through season 1...but no further. BUFFY mid-season 1 was a pretty standard monster of the week show that even at that point wasn't headed towards the final boss of that season (The Master). In that vein SHIELD is a decent spy-action show with a team that's beginning to come together. There have been some TRULY shining eps (5 and 6 are both amazing) and some relatively ho-hum ones.

My recco if you bailed out on it...would be to wait till after it comes back from mid-season finale and catch up...that would give you a good idea of whether or not you want to give it the time of day to the end of S1.

#176 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Cheers, I might do that. Thanks for the summary

#177 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 December 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

How do you think your not missing much? We ve mostly all agreed that this show has been getting better each week(aside from last epi).

Yeah, but that still means it reached the level of 'basically average'. Imo. It's alright, but there's much on television that's far more worth your time.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#178 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Last night's episode started some actual overarching plot lines moving - I'm excited to see next week's episode! Nice to see that they're finally done with the "introducing main character <blank>" episodes - now we see what this show's really made of!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#179 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Last week didn't have an episode, any reason for this?

Last one I watched and recorded was the one with the invisible guy, which was awesome!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#180 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 11 December 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Last week didn't have an episode, any reason for this?

Last one I watched and recorded was the one with the invisible guy, which was awesome!

American Thanksgiving. Causes most shows to skip at least one ep before or after Thanksgiving.

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

21 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users