Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! ALL BOOK SPOILERS ALLOWED Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#321 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

GRRM has given Benioff/Weiss the rough outline of his finale, but I think he's left it to them to fill out if worse comes to worst. A producer on the show recently said that they aim for 7 seasons, regardless of what GRRM completes book-wise (and he's asserted books 6, 7 and possibly 8 if necessary to split things will run about 3000 pages total), and that they will indeed mash up AFFC and ADWD when they get there. The conundrum I have would be, if they pass him after book 6 comes out, will he still be writing a season 7 episode before book 7 comes out.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#322 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

Meh, in that case I hope GRRM manages to finish before the show, or at the very least concurrently (hah, I kid myself). I don't want to sound like a grumpy old fan, but I would be pissed if the ending of the show was more or less the ending of the books and aired before the last book ever came out. The last thing I want to do is read a Facebook post spoiling about the TV show that spoils the final book.

But anyway, sounds like it was a fantastic episode tonight, so I'll let you all get back to discussing that.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#323 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

That Reddit is great. My favorite one was this:

"Watching Game of Thrones with someone who has read the books"

Posted Image

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#324 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

These are fucking hilarious.
~Steven Erikson

#325 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

There's a few things that happen in ADWD that makes me think it's 8 books, not 7, due to the sheer "have this character, that character and those characters to move around and resolve their stories somehow" casting.

So we'll probably get the show done before the 8th book gets published.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#326 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

So, I guess that theory about Robbs wife (for some reason her name escapes me right now) being a lannister spy was incorrect.

HAHAHA, it's funny how on that twitter feed alot of people are screaming "I'M SO FUCKING DONE WITH THIS SHOW!!!"

Somehow, I don't think you are...

This post has been edited by Primateus: 03 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#327 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 03 June 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

So, I guess that theory about Robbs wife (for some reason her name escapes me right now) being a lannister spy was incorrect.

It appears to be. It makes sense; Talisa was their way of keeping it spicy for the book-readers, leaving us wondering how it would play out. The Westerlings' betrayal made Talisa suspicious, and they played on that to the point that non-book-readers suspected her without knowing anything about Jeyne.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#328 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostDefiance, on 03 June 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

These are fucking hilarious.

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

Can't wait for the reactwits to Joffrey's wedding.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#329 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, i imagine that the ppl who are super pissed this week, will feel better after Joffrey's...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#330 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

View Postamphibian, on 03 June 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

View PostCeda Cicero, on 03 June 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

That was so bad. So bad. So bad.

Let's take the most horrific scene every written by a man, put it on screen, AND toss in a violent, unexpected abortion by knife to kick it off.

Fuck me.

It is not the most horrific scene ever written by a man. It's a fairly noteworthy betrayal, but in terms of what actually happens, it's kinda nondescript. One noble family eliminates another for monetary reward from a third party.

Compare that to the seventh story of Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted, which is in itself only on the higher end of the scale of "horrifying". There's worse things out there that were written by legit authors in pursuit of artistic works.

I thought the hobbling in DoD (I think that was the one) and the "Redder Wedding" (Abyss's words) were more brutal.

But yeah the show nailed that scene. I didn't really find it too brutal in the books probably because I never really cared about Robb or Catelyn, but that fuckin stomach stab was brutal.

#331 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostOveractive Imagination, on 03 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

... but that fuckin stomach stab was brutal.

Yeah.... i think that in a sense they did that to make the point (pun intended) that this was different from the book.

On other fronts, there was some solid swordplay this time. Daario, Jorah and Grey Worm's raid was awesome. Grey Worm especially shone in that scene and Jorah's face when Dany asked about Daario was priceless. This was also done differently from the book, and subbing Grey Worm and Dario for Selmy made perfect sense.

Rob finally cut loose on the Wildings, and i thought that scene was nicely handled, tho it seemed liike he ran when there was just Ginatsbane left rolling around with Ygrite, which was odd since he had just killed everyone else with a little wolf-assist.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#332 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 June 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

On other fronts, there was some solid swordplay this time. Daario, Jorah and Grey Worm's raid was awesome. Grey Worm especially shone in that scene and Jorah's face when Dany asked about Daario was priceless. This was also done differently from the book, and subbing Grey Worm and Dario for Selmy made perfect sense.

There is just something so BADASS about spear fighting. Like for real.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#333 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostOveractive Imagination, on 03 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 03 June 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

View PostCeda Cicero, on 03 June 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

That was so bad. So bad. So bad.

Let's take the most horrific scene every written by a man, put it on screen, AND toss in a violent, unexpected abortion by knife to kick it off.

Fuck me.

It is not the most horrific scene ever written by a man. It's a fairly noteworthy betrayal, but in terms of what actually happens, it's kinda nondescript. One noble family eliminates another for monetary reward from a third party.

Compare that to the seventh story of Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted, which is in itself only on the higher end of the scale of "horrifying". There's worse things out there that were written by legit authors in pursuit of artistic works.

I thought the hobbling in DoD (I think that was the one) and the "Redder Wedding" (Abyss's words) were more brutal.

I think the thing that makes it horrific is that it's rooted in long-running emotional investment, that it's somewhat plausible, and that it's totally unexpected the first time you come across it. Like, the hobbling was just so out-there horrible I didn't have any frame of personal reference, whereas the Redder Wedding takes place in what is essentially an epic tragedy- aSoIaF is often tragic, but it doesn't read like a tragedy in the same way.

There's obviously been a lot worse things been written about (and actually happened in, you know, real life). It's probably not even the nastiest thing in aSoIaF (Reek, reek, it rhymes with bleak).

Aaaaaaaanyway. Mostly very well executed, but I thought Cat's acting was a bit off right at the end. Not ruinously, but it took me out of it a tad. And Roose Bolton's ninja-like shenanigans were a bit silly. The stomach stab was horrific, though, and Bolton's actual acting was perfect, as was Frey's.
The right choice not to pretend Arya was dead as well. I know more than one book reader who I had to reassure that she wasn't to get them to carry on, it would have been too much.

And the rest of the episode was bang on the money. Badass fight scene, and poor Jorah. :p Plus the interactions between Arya and the Hound are priceless (is there anyone Maisie Williams doesn't have good chemistry with? She's nailed it with the Hound, Tywin, Jaqen, Syrio, Jon...).

Great episode, overall, maybe the best of the show so far.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#334 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, i imagine that the ppl who are super pissed this week, will feel better after Joffrey's...

That's not until next season though. Which may turn out to be a mistake. They may have done better to have compressed Season 3 a bit more, had the RW earlier on and the PW in the last episode, so you get at least some carthartic comeback.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#335 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostWerthead, on 03 June 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

That's not until next season though. Which may turn out to be a mistake. They may have done better to have compressed Season 3 a bit more, had the RW earlier on and the PW in the last episode, so you get at least some carthartic comeback.

Is it? I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be on next week's finale. Making people wait for that is...probably a BIG mistake.

#336 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

If they do Joff's wedding next episode, that might piss the fans off even more, as they're leaving this big matzoh ball hanging with Tyrion being on trial for murder, and this big open mystery. But now I really don't know what they'll put in that episode. Before, I thought they would have Dany conquering Yuntai and Jon escaping the wildlings, but I was pretty surprised they were able to fit it in with the RW episode.

I suppose they will put Dany's march towards Mereen, and all the kids being hung on crosses, as some big dramatic cliffhanger for her. I also suppose they will have Sam meet up with Bran, and introduce Coldhands. I'm not sure how much King's Landing they will do. If I recall, Joffrey's wedding was a really big and long event. Plus, Joffrey has such an amazing actor that I would actually think it's a bit of a shame to boot him off this quickly just to please angry fans of Ep9.

As for this episode - I think the actress for Ygritte did a great job acting so hysterical, and then betrayed. The book really just left us wondering how she carried it, since Jon was far away before we could see the reaction. I'm really looking forward to the Castle Black breach and their short reunion in S4.

Also, I find it funny how Rickon had more exposure in this episode than he did in the rest of the entire show so far. GRRM must have some plans for him in Book 6 or 7, otherwise the show writers could have easily just forgone him as a character.

#337 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

The reason why Jon bumps Ygritte aside is to get Giantsbane to go for her and capture her. He wants her safe above everything else - other than warning the Crows of the Walkers' threat. He rigged the whole fight to get that to happen and got lucky that the wolves were able to assist.

Rickon and Osha going to Skagos has to be crucial if the writers are setting it up here, instead of having him just tag along with Bran or split off after Jon.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#338 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Ooooh, that was brutal. I loved (is it love?) playing with non-reader.

1 - stab into belly - "Oh, damn, he shouldnt do that...thats sick"

2 - Massacre of followers - "Hell, you should be running away, this looks like serious trouble"

3 - First arrows - "Oh, cmon, you cant get shot by mere arrows...they could capture you, run you fools!"

4 - Cat takes hostage - "yeah, clever mom saves the day, phew, I was scared in one moment"

5 - Lannisters send their regards - "FUCK! WHAT. THE. FUCK."

6 - Cat cutthroated - "yeah, whatever, kill Arya, shes there too"
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#339 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Aaaaaand...this is stupid. Quitting the show not because brutal execution of whole "noble leader, his mother, his soldiers and his cause", but because pregnant woman is stabbed into belly and dog is killed (and I love dogs and I really feared Grey Wind scene). So, he quits because of pictures, not meaning?
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#340 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hah. I bet his inbox gets flooded with pictures of Grey Wind sewn to Robb's head after the next episode airs.
~Steven Erikson

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users