Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! ALL BOOK SPOILERS ALLOWED Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

It's only a few days away! So I figured the renewal thread was a bit outdated for actual season 3 discussion.

Predictions?
I think we all know where this one is headed, the ol' Robert Wagner. Probably episode 9 right? Maybe with the actual ASOS book epilogue (with Cat) as the season crowner? Even though like the rest of that last third or so of book will probably be Season 4, I think that part would make a creepy S3 cliffhanger. But it would require almost the entire Brotherhood storyline up to that point, so maybe not.

I think we'll get Balon too, since he's the first of the three kings IIRC. And while it's off screen in the books, I think we'll get to see it loud and clear on screen...and probably t'weren't an accident, eh?

Perhaps the full Arya/Hound story? Maybe they'll actually let Arya kill someone on purpose, if they do the Polliver scene right. Would make a great season capper for her, since they've been delaying her fall into savageness...biggest flaw in the show IMO, but they could make up for it big time here.

Anyway, can't wait!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Looking forward to it. Re Balon.. its a shame they omitted the scene where Melisandre had Stannis throw those things with Joffreys, Balons and Jons name into the fire. I thought that was quite significant in the books.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I don't think it will be absent.

#4 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Can't wait for it, Vikings and GoT on the same day. It's going to be a fine spring.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

That was pretty awesome. Scene between Tyrion and Tywin was A+++ good.

#7 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

So, Selmy is Selmy and not Whitebeard. And he's alone?

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

I'm really pleased they cut out the stupid Selmy in disguise plot. It makes for tighter storytelling and introduces the "I've been replaced" angle much faster for Mormont. It's friggin' Barristan Selmy - he's a legend and very well known.

They also set up the Littlefinger/Sansa thing a bit faster here - seeing that smirk on Carcetti's face as he walked away from Sansa was glorious.

Tyrion and Tywin was awesome. Just when you think Tywin's starting to be a mean, but okay person, he comes out with "You who killed your mother" and other awful things.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Strong Belwas absent? No problem here... As Amphibian said, it just stupid plot. Tyrion - Tywing scene was great. And number of "oh, hot" women is really rising :sweat: Otherwise...just typical first episode forced to remind bunch of story arcs (and still no Arya).
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yah, that mystery couldn't possibly work in a visual medium anyway I don't think. Makes me wonder how they'll eventually handle the

Spoiler

I'm not sure they even cast a Strong Belwas for season 3. But he's easy enough to fold into the cast in a later Slaver's Bay city.

And the Sansa/LF stuff was indeed intriguing this early. Makes me wonder if they're gonna make it to the Eyrie by the finale or it's just long haul setup.

One of the more intriguing changes, I thought, was Qyburn showing up alive in Harrenhal. Big departure from the books, of course, but with loads of potential for character building and sinister machinations.

#11 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Postworrywort, on 01 April 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Yah, that mystery couldn't possibly work in a visual medium anyway I don't think.

As a mystery, true (though I'm sure some viewers wouldn't remember him either way) but it works as dramatic irony. I am just as happy without it, but it's going to change the interperson dynamics quite a bit, I think, so it's not a trivial change.

It kind of has to be a long haul set-up to the Eyrie if Sansa is going to play her part in the other wedding. (There's a fandom name for it, isn't there? I forgot what it is.) If the red wedding is the finale of 3, then the Joff/Marg wedding has to be near to the climax of 4.

There it is.

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yah, unless change is afoot. I think the emphasis with Selmy showing up as is -- at least if this episode was setting anything up -- is Jorah's chaffing at sharing Dany with anyone even as he's happy for her that there's a heavy hitter in Westeros on their side. So he's jealous, excited, and he has reason to be suspicious for Dany's sake, so that's some long-term setup stuff too.

#13 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Doesn't he also have reason to suspect that Selmy knows about his work for Varys? (She didn't find out about that already did she? Now I have confused myself.)

This post has been edited by Terez: 01 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

There it is.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Oh yah! You're right, at least in the book timeline, and as far as I remember, the show timeline too. The audience knows what he was doing but Dany doesn't.

#15 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

Am I alone in lamenting the absence of STRONG BELWAS?!

Seriously though, they missed an opportunity for some great television - I reckon they just didn't have the time to do it justice. Which is fair enough.

If we can accept this then there is no worth in discussing any other discontinuities. The show is not the books and thank fuck for that because the next two books are pretty fucking terrible.

Interestingly, as my wife pointed out, the audience at large is unaware of Barristan Selmy's awesomeness as of yet - as far as they know he got a bit stroppy when Joffrey kicked him out of the Kingsguard. They will have to build him up somehow.

I have argued on his behalf on westeros.org in various contexts - he is the greatest living warrior of Westeros - I'm convinced, but the illiterate audience is not. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this.

#16 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

Accepting the differences doesn't prevent us from discussing how they will change things. @worry, that's what was confusing me; they gave the viewer a big hint but IIRC that didn't happen in the books?

There it is.

#17 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

IIRC, the hints about Jorah being a spy came from Ned POVs at the council meetings, and then you connect the dots after the fact (though maybe still before Dany finds out? Don't exactly remember), whereas on the show we know Jorah is/was a spy, feels guilty about it, and the other shoe just hasn't dropped.

#18 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 April 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

I wasn't really impressed with the epi myself.

I don't really expect every episode to be 'impressive'; there is only so much 'impressive' plot material to work with. I think this one was done well; it's development material, not blow-away material. We weren't subjected to any horrible acting, at least.

There it is.

#19 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 01 April 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

I have argued on his behalf on westeros.org in various contexts - he is the greatest living warrior of Westeros - I'm convinced, but the illiterate audience is not. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this.

Barristan is sixty some fucking years old. He's the greatest living legend, sure, but it takes time for a legend to shape his materials to the degree he needs. He'd lose a battle right now unless he's got time to plan and train with the 8k soldiers. He'd lose a duel to a lotta people too - which is why Joffrey booted him. Idiot king, but Barristan is nearly worthless right now.

Also, the Red Wedding is scheduled for Episode 9. I think Catelyn's resurrection is the final scene of the season. She's gonna be super creepy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#20 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

This ep kinda had me thinking that there might be too much material to cram into 10 episodes, many of the scenes felt truncated and/or just served to infodump/summarize. IE, Davos' audience with Stannis/Melisandre.

Some nitpics.......

The watch are supposed to be running through the haunted woods, not some desolate tundra

Ser Barristan is supposed to use a staff at this point

The unsullied have pointy bronze caps

Aren't the giants naked and covered in nasty hair?

Missandei is supposed to be a child

Wtf is happening at Harrenhall? When the dude said he was qyburn my gf and I had a big wtf moment, he's supposed to save Jamie's arm.........

And some praise!

Astapor and Harrenhall look sick as all get out, even dragonstone; finally got some epic scenery besides throne rooms and forests.

Ty and Ty's scene was great, especially Tywin writing the letter to Walder Frey.

Tormund is awesome, but I saw a clip of him climbing the wall?

I liked hearing about the Mallisters and seeing the Karstarks.

Uh that's all I got for now, need to watch it again!

Anyways was great to have some fantasy on TV, Filling my bsg void nicely.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users