Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! ALL BOOK SPOILERS ALLOWED Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#301 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

Sorry, I just woke up from a nap and am apparently in skim mode. :p

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#302 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 02 June 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Is anyone watching with enthusiasts who have no clue what's about to happen?

Yup. Mrs. QT hasn't the foggiest. All I told her was that tonight's episode is the one I've been waiting for her to watch since the show began.

Anyone else think the producers might throw us book fans a curveball or two tonight...delay a death or something?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#303 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

No, given how much this one event was a catalyst for the show even getting made, I think they are gonna go whole hog on doing it "right"...I just hope it's less last-scene-cliffhangery than Ned was, and there are actually several tides of horror (Grey Wind's head for example, which requires scenes set in aftermath). What I'm more curious about is what else is gonna happen in the episode...will we see the Mountain (in hellish triumph) this season finally? Maybe see Littlefinger with Lysa and Bobert or whatever the hell that kid's name is. Things like that...connective tissue to season 4.

I also heard that the Magnar of Thenn has been cast for season 4, so we might not get the actual battle at the Wall until next season. Kinda makes sense, since they haven't gotten the most out of Ciaran Hinds this season at all, or the Wildlings in general. Making that overlap into next year would be a smart idea IMO.

BTW Benioff was on the Late Late Show last week and said he watches the show with his wife, and she has no idea what happens in the story until it airs on HBO. He even hides it from her as he writes. Pretty wicked/cute.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#304 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

Fair point. I'm curious how this is all gonna go down visually.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#305 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

Yah, me too! As far as I can tell the show doesn't do much handheld camera work (though there's probably some exceptions I'm forgetting)...there's gotta be a ratcheting things up to fever pitch somehow, first as celebration, then as the mood turns. I feel more eager/anxious about this than I did Ned and Blackwater put together, I woke up thinking about it.

This post has been edited by sorrysort: 03 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

#306 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

Now we're cooking with gas! Wow.... just wow! My sphincter puckered! TMI?

#307 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

FUCK.

ME.

First things first, they played that out PERFECTLY...there were virtually NO tells (to those who didn't know) that anything was going to go wrong...the scene was perfectly played, and when it went down...holy shit did it go down. AMAZING!

Bolton's "The Lannisters send their regards" was perfectly delivered.

Cat's pledge to Frey was awesome and makes me appreciate Michelle Fairley's acting...she's a scenery chewing excellence and OWNED this episode.

Oh and I think the Hound comes off better in the show than he ever did to me in the books. That guy is also nailing it.

And speaking of Arya (always my fave character in the books, and easily one of my two faves on the show), her delivery of the line "I'm going to stick a knife in your eye..." was spot-fucking-on!

Mrs. QT was AGOG...she is still at this very second saying "I can't believe that happened! What the fuck?!"...and during the scene when it all went down she was like "shit. Shit. SHIT! SHIT!" It was hilarious to watch her freak.

Lastly, the dead silent credits were a fucking AMAZING stroke of genius. I sat there stunned and that was a perfect way to end that ep.

Bring on next week!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

#308 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

That was so bad. So bad. So bad.

Let's take the most horrific scene every written by a man, put it on screen, AND toss in a violent, unexpected abortion by knife to kick it off.

Fuck me.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#309 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 03 June 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

Let's take the most horrific scene every written by a man, put it on screen, AND toss in a violent, unexpected abortion by knife to kick it off.

Fuck me.

That part was probably the most gruesome bit...it was like a prison shanking....*shiver* It was about as unsettling as the show has gotten before.

#310 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

So I'll be the first one to say it:

Since Robb went first, his leech was clearly the one Melisandre peeled off of Gendry's purple-headed womb ferret.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#311 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

The mummer's farce is about to end. The North remembers.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#312 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

Fuck.
They may have actually improved that scene from how it goes down in the book.

I knew it was coming and STILL freaked.

And i loved/hated the way it looked like Grey Wind would break free and then pffft... wolf-kebab.

As a complete aside, was it my imagination, or just before Jon fights the wildings, they showed Summer with Ghost instead of Shaggy? ... Then back to Summer and Shaggy when Bran worgs the wolves into the fight?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#313 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

It's been a while since I read the book, but I seem to remember that there was a quality of distortion to Catelyn's perspective -- wasn't the music poorly played and too loud? I remember that element and my own initial inability to comprehend what was really happening. Well played scene, but damn, it was brilliantly written.

#314 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostAbyss, on 03 June 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

As a complete aside, was it my imagination, or just before Jon fights the wildings, they showed Summer and Ghost instead of Shaggy? ... Then back to Summer and Shaggy when Bran worgs the wolves into the fight?

I also thought it was Ghost at first...but I think it's just that Summer is so fair of fur that he resembled Ghost from the front like that in that shot...but yeah, you weren't the only one.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

#315 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 03 June 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

Fuck me.

It is not the most horrific scene ever written by a man. It's a fairly noteworthy betrayal, but in terms of what actually happens, it's kinda nondescript. One noble family eliminates another for monetary reward from a third party.

Compare that to the seventh story of Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted, which is in itself only on the higher end of the scale of "horrifying". There's worse things out there that were written by legit authors in pursuit of artistic works.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#316 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

I had a couple of "show only" friends react via text.

"Yowza. I really liked the Starks too. Poor Arya."

"Holy fuck. That whole episode. So many things happened, but the end made it all fade."

And a friend who read the books was hysterically sobbing for a moment at the viewing party because she's like that. It's endearing and she was over it fairly fast and eagerly trawling Fbook and Pintrest for reactions.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#317 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

For those of you who want to decompress from what just happened.... some funny postings here on Reddit: http://www.reddit.co...hrones&sort=new

#318 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

Roose's single forced chuckle at Catelyn's fond remembrance of Ned's honor.

#319 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

I haven't watched the show at all, but it's been pretty amusing to see people's reaction on Facebook. I knew the show was in season three and given the amount of "what the fuck?!" "I'm in shock" "That was NOT OKAY!" posts it was immediately apparent that the Red Wedding had just aired.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#320 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

I imagine that Eddard's unexpected death acclimated people to what the series was going to be like. I'm not sure how the first season was, but in the first book he was definitely the central character despite the eight other PoVs. If you can stick with a show after they kill off your lead (and a very well liked character, probably a favorite of many), then your audience is locked in. Not to mention, I'm sure there are people who throw up their hands and say, "Fuck this show!" but then they inevitably tune in the following week.

Despite not being a viewer, I am curious as to how they're going to break up future seasons. If season 4 is the second half of A Storm of Swords, then season 5 will be a mishmash of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. Neither of those books have anything resembling a climax midway through, though (at least not that I can recall), so I have to wonder how much liberty the show writers will take with things. Especially since Dragons doesn't have much of a definitive ending with the exception of
Spoiler
and starting a season with
Spoiler
would be weird, I imagine they'd put one of the battles at the end of season 5/6. That's assuming they can keep things going for that long, but from what I've heard about the show so far that shouldn't be an issue.

I do worry about what well happen if (or should I say when?) they catch up to George. I have no problem with GRRM taking as long as he needs for the next book, but I hope that, should the show ever catch up, the writers craft their own endings rather than getting the skinny from George. Anyone know if this has been talked about?
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

20 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users