Malazan Empire: A MEMORY OF LIGHT Full Spoiler Discussion Thread - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A MEMORY OF LIGHT Full Spoiler Discussion Thread There will be spoilers. Be warned.

#81 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostCause, on 24 January 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 24 January 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

Finally finished an hr ago. I like that 2 forsaken and Alviarian made it through, and I can't help but wonder with Mog getting collared if some of the events of Av's visions of the future are still meant to be implied to come to pass...

I dont recall the connection with Moghedian and Aviendhas visions?

Only the collar. And Moghedien's desire to rule the world, Raven Empire, all that. She might have found a way to influence as a damane, or she might have gotten free. Liandrin and Suroth are still kicking it somewhere, and Galina, and who knows how many other Darkfriends.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#82 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

There was a really long Q&A on Twitter today:

http://www.theorylan...in.php?i=874#22

Starts there and ends at #73.

There it is.

#83 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for that Terez. The questions don't seem to be what I would ask but it was an enjoyable read. A lot of RAFO. I don't like that but can understand. I'd prefer to "know". I wish they could go against his wishes and keep writing. Why not? We have a lot of people connected to him who know what he knew and they have extensive notes. I'm just sad its ended.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#84 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

ha, I have a whole list of questions to ask, but maybe I can work that one in. I'm more interested in whether Perrin melded his soul with Hopper's...

There it is.

#85 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I cant understand why he is being so coy. Thematically I understand leaving the ending of the wheel of time open. It is an end but not the END, the wheel turns. Still we know RJ planned prequels and sequels. So some questions would be answered. It also made sense to leave some things open for these novels to deal with. However RJ is now dead, the sequels and prequels are dead.

What is possibly gained by anyone, Team Jordan or the fans by Brandon refusing to even come clean on whether a character like Nakomi is from the notes, RJs own mouth or his own invention. Its one thing to leave us wondering forever if she is the creator forever but its quite another (especially given the unique nature of how this series was finished) to leave us wondering if she was RJs or BSs (unfortunate abbreviation) invention.

#86 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

It'll probably be in the encyclopedia, as far as I'm aware the notes for these planned sequels is literally a sentence or two, and I heard a nice theory that Nakomi is Tigraine, since why should only the evil dead come back?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#87 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Would have been funny if Alivia killed him again cause MORIDIN, THE SUPER BAD GUY, JUST GOT UP AND STARTED WALKING AWAY!

My favorite part was the tinker's song at the end.

Also, I feel like Fain should have just ran away to fight another day. His death was way to cheesy easy.

Overall, a pretty satisfying book though.
No Touchy.

#88 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

It was a viewing of Galgan.

"What about Galgan?"

"A dagger rammed through the heart of a raven."

"Bloody ashes . . ."

"I don't think it means you," she added. "I can't say why."

I also doubt it's Tuon. It could simply be a reference to Galgan fighting in the Last Battle, maybe killing a Darkfriend. Carlinya had a drawing of a raven like a tattoo, and she's dead, and we have no idea what it was supposed to mean.

I expected the series to end with the Seanchan already having taken over, if in a different way than Aviendha saw. So I wouldn't be surprised if it happens within the next 5-10 years, which is how long after the Last Battle the outriggers were to take place, and that was to be about reconquering the Seanchan continent.

This post has been edited by Terez: 30 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

There it is.

#89 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Not to interrupt but I finished it last night, so here are my thoughts:

Naturally, I loved it so ill probably focus on what didn't hit the spot instead of what did. Firstly, though, I think that Brandon did a great job of tying up somebody else's story with relatively little resources (compared to if it'd been his own story).

I think that the book was a very enjoyable and fitting end to such a huge series, though, I didn't feel that it was as well done as Brandon's previous two --it seemed rushed in comparison and the writing didn't engage me so much, which was a shame.

As much as i did enjoy it, i feel like a lot of my emotional response was due to it being the final WoT book; the actual events -- the last battle, Rand's final fight and the remaking of the DO's prison, Egwene's death etc -- didn't have nearly the same emotional impact as scenes from earlier books, like the cleansing, Rhuidean, Dumai's Wells and whatnot. Instead they felt hurried, like a means to an end. Also, as you guys say, Brandon does go a bit overboard on the fanservice, too! I didn't mind the addition of Brandon's sword itself, I though it was quite a nice idea but I do agree that writing it in as Justice was a mistake.

I did like the (RJ's) ending with bodyswapped Rand riding into the sunset, as it were, though the end seemed to be fairly abrupt, to be honest, and there did seems to be a bit of a lack of closure and so many parts and plot lines just felt like they'd been glossed over. (After all this time, I was surprised we didn't get to see Elayne and Rand's children!) In a funny way, after 13 books and 23 years of building up to this moment, the whole thing finished in a blink of an eye. I'm left feeling like there should be something more.

All that said, I enjoyed every minute of it and am quite keen to reread the entire series back to back, now!

Having written this on the train on the way to work, maybe I'll read it back to myself tonight --sorry if it doesn't make any sense!
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#90 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

I loved it as well! I won't ramble, but I felt a tad cheated with the end, for something that's been in my life for so long, that everyone of my friends and family have followed for years (Christmas dinners discussing WoT lol) I wanted a more fleshed out epilogue.

I wanted to see the men welcomed back into TV, and perhaps Logain taking the oaths and becoming Amyrlin, or Moiraine.

I wanted a confrontation between Hawkwing and Tuon.

A return to the Two Rivers.

Do Perrin and Faile retire to Emonds Field or Saldea?

What happens to the Aiel? They can surely leave the three-fold land now? Re-unite with the tinkers?

I'm assuming Lan rebuilds Malkier......

Elyas?

I wanted to hear Thoms Ballad.

Does Wormtongue cut Sarumans throat?

All the Aes Sedai captured by the Seanchan?

What's the deal with Rands powers now? I thought one of the girls lit his pipe after they sensed his wishes through the bond....... Maybe I need to reread.

He can't let Tam and Nyneave and Mat and Perrin think he's dead?

That's all I've got for now.....kind of overwhelmed 8)

#91 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Also, Sulin.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#92 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

wanted to reply to one of manwitheyes points, specifically the men being welcomed back into TV. assume you mean the asha'man, which leaves me confused, since they're obviously going to build a completely separate place at the black tower with logain as the leader there. he would never be amyrlin. just seems silly.

also, while i liked the book and it was suitably epic, i just haven't been very into the series for a long time now. my connection with the characters just isn't as strong as it used to be. taking nothing away from brandon's excellent treatment of RJ's work, i just lost the magic too long ago. case in point - gawyn. now maybe i'm not as alone as i think, but i knew the guy would be offed as soon as he hid the rings from egwene, and when he was i just thought, 'eh, had it comin. too bad for egwene, but she'll get back on her feet.'

the biggest emotional reactions for me involved Lan killing demandred, and surviving sheathing the sword, since at that time rand is speaking to everyone in their minds. then, when logain sees how the asha'man can be respected without the threat of fear and breaks the seals, i did a mental fist-pump. that was one bit of suspense i thought was very well done. you had to wonder, how close to turning is he?

of course, when noal comes back for olver, well, i was forcing back a tear. gotta love that little rascal.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 01 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#93 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

I just read the twitter QA and Brandon does confirm that the Asha'man remain seperate from the Tower, and male Aes Sedai probably do not return until late in the age or perhaps not until the next age.

#94 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

All indications are that the Aes Sedai were a male-female organization from inception, but we don't have much information about the time before the Bore was drilled.

There it is.

#95 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

View PostTerez, on 22 January 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

It's Brandon's cameo, which Brandon wrote to be Justice (Artur Hawkwing's sword), which I'm quite unhappy about because it wasn't there for a reason. (Apparently it's allowed to put unloaded guns on the mantle in Act XII?)

I thought that this scene was a big opportunity for epicness completely squandered. A throw away line as rand walks away from sparring ... "oh, by the way this sword once had another name. People called it JUSTICE" now that would have had me covered in goosebumps.

#96 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 February 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

Im not understanding this thing with Justice. Whats the deal with the sword and the cameo, he just made it up or is it a sword from one of his own novels? Im horrible with little details so Terez Im counting on YOU to fill me in on this lmao!

Nevermind that! I just saw 2 pages back your link to it!

For the record, it never says straight out in the books that it's Justice. He just leaves clues, like Rand recognizing it from his own memories rather than Lews Therin's, even though it's an ancient sword. One of the beta readers let slip shortly after TGS was released that the sword was Justice. We see it again in AMOL with Hawkwing.

There it is.

#97 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

that was one issue that perplexed me. So, at one point there were 2 Justices on the battlefield? Tam had it and when Olver blew the horn, Artur had it as well?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#98 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, well, one is the real Justice left behind when Hawkwing died, and the other is like Birgitte's arrows—a creation of Tel'aran'rhiod.

There it is.

#99 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

What should I make Terez's avatar be?

Taking suggestions.

:p
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#100 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

A picture of Gem. Posted Image
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users