• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1721 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Porkins is Snoke. He went on a diet and then turned to the dark side to avenge the onamatapoetic name Lucas gave him.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1722 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

View Postrant, on 31 December 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

"Only the Sith deal in absolutes"

I always hated that line.

Mostly because that line itself is in fact an absolute.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1723 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

Finally read through most of this thread. Completely opposite of TFA I agree with all the points QT brought up.

You all of have discussed most everything multiple times so i wont bring stuff up again.

There was just so many things that pissed me off or made no damn sense in this movie. For example, the debate on Finns sacrifice, what it meant, whether Rose was right? All i thought was "He's in a piece of shit ship charging 20-30 walkers SOLO! The fact that he got within 100 fucking yards without getting blasted is fucking ridiculous.

Carrying bombs that cause massive explosions? Maybe a little more spacing between ships? Nah, hug in tight so if one goes we all fucking go.

Poe, Finn, and Chewie were massively wasted. Or more than likely there were waaaaay too many characters.

The humor was horrible. Chrome dome? Fuuuuck.

The creatures were overused.

If you'd have asked me the worst possible way to use Luke Skywalker, that was worse than i could have come up with.

Ive got about 37 more that deal with Reys super Jedi powers, horrible storytelling, spending so much damn time on Kylos struggle with the light/dark (hopefully the whole 3rd movie is just him shaking while people tell him they can sense the conflict and he's still good), and other assorted shit, but i'm going to stop now.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 31 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1724 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:35 PM

It was good fun though, right?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1725 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

View PostGorefest, on 31 December 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

It was good fun though, right?

The funny thing is I've been playing STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2, and the story that they came up with for that is about a thousand times better than TLJ. it's incredible how tone deaf Rian's movie comes off when compared to periphery Star Wars media.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1726 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

Rey's accelerated learning program kinda reminds me of all those late night infomercials for exercise equipment that guarantees to blast the flab away with only 3 minute daily sessions.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1727 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:25 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 01 January 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

Rey's accelerated learning program kinda reminds me of all those late night infomercials for exercise equipment that guarantees to blast the flab away with only 3 minute daily sessions.

I mean, even Rocky had a montage at least

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 01 January 2018 - 02:26 AM

#1728 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:03 AM

View PostNevyn, on 31 December 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

View Postrant, on 31 December 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

"Only the Sith deal in absolutes"

I always hated that line.

Mostly because that line itself is in fact an absolute.

Right? Not to mention the jedi have rules whose underlining philosohpies/reasoning must be absolutes ( no marriage, only training kids, etc.)...many of which are ignored by/for Anakin who falls to the darkside and kills like...a lot of people.

Moral of the story, if you have to have absolutes, dont let people break them.

#1729 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Saw this via N.K. Jemisin. Great little personal essay on Luke in TLJ: https://www.zacberts...-luke-skywalker
Gets to at least some of what I really loved about him in this movie.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1730 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1731 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

That was awesome.

..maybe a puppy, or some jewelry....

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 05 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1732 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

Why you naysayers are wrong...

http://reverseshot.o..._wars_last_jedi
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1733 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 January 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Why you naysayers are wrong...

http://reverseshot.o..._wars_last_jedi

I'd love a coherent script and decent narrative out of Rian Johnson. I did not get it. No matter how many critics or media thinkpieces attempt to codify me and my feelings about the movie on a fundamental story/film level...into "You just didn't like change"...

#1734 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

Exactly.

If it were so important to forge a new direction for Star Wars, to abolish the old, bring in the new, and also try to bring the fans of this story into a more nuanced frame of mind, all of that could still be done in a movie where the humour comes organically for the story, where the characters decisions make basic sense, where the plot is both interesting and logical, and where appropriate amounts of time are dedicated to certain parts of the story to have character's decisions make sense.

It is as if people defending this think this was a great movie which was weighed down by the expectations and the nostalgia of the franchise.

And i would say it was just the opposite. The nostalgia of the franchise armed a horribly flawed film with just enough audience goodwill to have them not give up in the midst of it.

#1735 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:40 AM

View PostNevyn, on 08 January 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

Exactly.

If it were so important to forge a new direction for Star Wars, to abolish the old, bring in the new, and also try to bring the fans of this story into a more nuanced frame of mind, all of that could still be done in a movie where the humour comes organically for the story, where the characters decisions make basic sense, where the plot is both interesting and logical, and where appropriate amounts of time are dedicated to certain parts of the story to have character's decisions make sense.

Which is exactly what we got? :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1736 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:34 AM

View PostSilencer, on 09 January 2018 - 02:40 AM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 08 January 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

Exactly.

Which is exactly what we got? :p

Oh, I see what happened now. You dropped acid and are commenting on the film you imagined, but you never actually left your house.

#1737 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:09 AM

I think it's my #2 movie of the year. I didn't see everything I wanted to (in particular, The Shape of Water or The Florida Project) but man I liked it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1738 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

View Postworry, on 09 January 2018 - 05:09 AM, said:

I think it's my #2 movie of the year. I didn't see everything I wanted to (in particular, The Shape of Water or The Florida Project) but man I liked it.

You should really try to watch more than 2 movies a year.

#1739 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:27 AM

So, basically this?

Attached File(s)

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1740 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

My group of friends had widely different reactions to The Force Awakens, but our reaction to the Last Jedi have been unanimously a big yawn. A movie with some great and terrible moments drowned in a sea of mediocrity.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users