• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1581 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

View Postrant, on 19 December 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

I've yet to master the multi-quote, so apologies in advance.

No worries man, this works.

In summation though, I agree that a large percentage of this was a major FU from Rian to JJ...but I think the onus is more on JJ's mystery box style of story telling than on Rian's rejection of that.

I think my problem is that JJ set up what he set up, THE FORCE AWAKENS exists, and is canon...and instead of finding ways to follow that and continue the existing story in a good way, Rian rejects it outright and flat out REFUSES to make a second chapter. Everything from the "lightsaber shoulder toss" is him rejecting the story he was asked to "continue". I don't think anyone can watch TFA and chase it with TLJ and feel that they "fit" together. So Rian Johnson was hired to write the second volume in a trilogy...and he took the characters from the first one, but basically made his own First film in a trilogy. I can't fathom how Kat Kennedy was happy with that.

If something is set up, does it have to follow the expectations you were hoping for?

Not remotely. MY expectations don't enter into it. To pay off those plot lines in decent and feasible ways is the job of the sequel writer. If you count them out, Rian basically treats every JJ plot point as inconsequential.

What if this had been JJ's plan all along....built all of these nods in TFA to Rey's parentage, and then in HIS 2nd act (TLJ), the same reveal is made. Would you be angry, angrier, or placated because it was that author's vision all along. Just because you don't agree with the decision made doesn't mean there was no payoff.

JJ never planned what came next. In fact, one of my BIGGEST complaints about the whole sequel trilogy is there revelation after Rian was interviewed that there is NO overacting plan for the story. None. JJ didn't know what came next (I'm sure he had ideas about it)...and Rian doesn't know what JJ will do next either. It's a swamp of bad ideas to plan a "trilogy" of films in this manner with DIFFERENt storytellers with no crossover or oversight, and expect it to be great. Aint' gonna happen. This is why so many people LOVE shows like BABYLON 5....it had a planned beginning, middle, and end. With no drive to tell a cohesive 3 film story...what are we all invested in?

For example, how often does SE set our expectations and then subvert them? In my mind, that is better story telling. It is easy (lazy) imo to rest on genre conventions, and I think Star Wars as a brand is a genre almost unto itself at this point.

Absolutely. The difference here is that SE doesn't do it in one single story....he takes his time and sets up a long set of events to subvert...and he most certainly doesn't treat someone else's IP characters like garbage. Rian subverting things in this movie is stupid because no one yet knew enough about those things to CARE about them when he subverted them. Like Snoke. It works great...once. As a twisty twist....but it's such a facade that upon closer examination reveals how stupid it was to do it (leaving Kylo and Hux in charge of the FO?? I mean wot?)

As and aside, that was actually how I meant "Rian Johnson made the best film HE could" lol. I wasn't saying it was the best film (Star Wars or otherwise), just the best he could do, with what he was given (previous story and personal talents).

I think with the amount of almost full scenes and dialogue that he full-on CRIBBED from TESB and ROTJ so he could "subvert" them...he's not changing things as much as he and everyone else claims he is. He recreated the ROTJ Throne room scene down to the red guards and staying seated for most of it...and including dialogue swatches that are taken from that scene as well...up to and including the bad guy killing his own master...the only thing he subverts here is that Kylo doesn't turn and instead decides to be the new Emperor. It's literally the same thing...with one note changed. I shook my head, because it's also the most visually impressive scene in the film....but yeah, it's same same. I don't think you can claim you're taking the series sin new and different directions when you recreate entire sequences from the OT to serve your "twists".

I do think there is a meta-issue of multiple visions going on. The JJ-->Rian-->JJ train is dumb. It should have been JJ all the way through, with Rian getting his own stand-alone trilogy as is now happening. A lot of the things we're debating right now would be non-existent if JJ could have seen this trilogy all the way through.

Absolutely 100% agreed. Ic an't agree with this statement harder. Spot on.

I think what my ultimate opinion boils down to is that TFA is where things went wrong for me, and Rian did an admirable job trying to course correct into new and interesting territory.
Though I'd be most happy with a beat for beat repeat of the NJO lol, so that tell's you something about my skewed tastes haha.

Totally fair!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1582 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

So, bottom line is.... DAMN THOSE SKYWALKERS!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1583 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 December 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

So, bottom line is.... DAMN THOSE SKYWALKERS!

I think there's a tumblr joke out there about how the Skywalkers only ever brought the galaxy pain and suffering...and I don't think anyone expected it to be anything more than a tumblr joke meme. But unless they SOMEHOW redeem Kylo in IX (which I highly doubt will happen)....it will prove unerringly accurate.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1584 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

This video makes me proud this guy is from my city. Roz, you rock man.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

#1585 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

Man, the more I think about it, the more I like every decision made (aside from the one segment I already mentioned was lousy).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1586 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

What if Rey's mother was revealed to be...

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1587 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

View Postworry, on 19 December 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

What if Rey's mother was revealed to be...

Spoiler

You're a funny guy worry, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.

:unworthy:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1588 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:24 AM

View PostBriar King, on 20 December 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

Just do me 1st please

That's what ... he ... said. :unworthy:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1589 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:56 AM

Spoiler

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#1590 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Saw it. Loved it. Not as big of a nerd as QT so not as angry about oh so many things. Went to be thoroughly entertained by the next Saga in a series of duties I have loved for years. That happened. I'm happy.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1591 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Went to be thoroughly entertained by the next Saga in a series of duties I have loved for years. That happened. I'm happy.

You English and your stiff upper lips, Queen and Country and all that ... :unworthy:

#1592 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 December 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Went to be thoroughly entertained by the next Saga in a series of duties I have loved for years. That happened. I'm happy.

You English and your stiff upper lips, Queen and Country and all that ... :unworthy:

Naturally they had to. Prince Harry and William, may they live forever had roles as two stormtroopers in it.

#1593 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Oh my... Silly autocorrect haha.

Anyways this is an excellent video about TLJ:
https://youtu.be/_7UKW-dgZMU
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1594 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostBriar King, on 20 December 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

You found AOTC awesome?

In defense, of what is certainly the worst of the Star Wars saga I agree, ATOC is only about 55-60% awful...there are bright shining sequences that I still love .The entire opening from assassination attempt on Padme, to Bounty Hunter Chase through the skies of Coruscant, to the dive lower quarter bar interrogation...all excellent. Then everything in the middle of the movie (aside from the Obi-Wan and Jango chase through the asteroids) is really bad, including the beginning of the arena "execution" sequence...but once the Clones and Jedi show up to clean house, it's once again solidly excellent to the end of the movie form there.

#1595 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 December 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

Will be curious to see QT’s reaction after 2nd view.

Well...that's the thing. I don't want to see it again.

I don't EVER want to see it again. Days after the viewing my thoughts have basically made me come to terms with the fact that I hate this movie.

I won't even be buying the BluRay.

And now my excitement for IX has dropped significantly....not because I don't the JJ will do a better job (He ABSOLUTELY will) than Rian....but because I know unless JJ REALLY slaps Rian in the face and retcons a bunch of the story points....this won't get better. I'll still see it of course, it's Star Wars, but I'm not sure what my mindset will be...I've never hated a Star Wars film before.

#1596 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

I've never been a big Star Wars fan myself (too syrupy, made for families, good feels for my taste), but a friend of mine wants me to go see this. I haven't seen The Force Awakens or Rogue One. Are those two movies required viewing to know what is going on in The Last Jedi?

#1597 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 December 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

I've never been a big Star Wars fan myself (too syrupy, made for families, good feels for my taste), but a friend of mine wants me to go see this. I haven't seen The Force Awakens or Rogue One. Are those two movies required viewing to know what is going on in The Last Jedi?

Rogue One not at all.
TFA.... required... not really... nothing is so complex that you won't figure it out, but you are going to feel that you're coming in in the middle of the story.

#1598 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

Something else about Rian's turn in these movies...and somewhat a result of JJ's tune as well...

The OT was spent on politics. The idea that the Empire was bad, and though organized was run by tyrants. The Rebellion (whose full name we need to remember was "The Alliance To Restore The Republic") has a goal of restoring the galaxy to the Republic it once was. ROTJ sees them on their way to doing just that.

But offscreen, in the interim, Disney has entirely dismantled that goal. In an effort to reset the table to give a new generation of people a brand new Star Wars tale, they've set things back to status quo....AKK an evil empire is at war with a plucky, ragtag Rebellion...all over again. Largely because they seemed scared to explore what the old EU explored, that of "What a galactic Republic of systems after Imperial dominance looks like, how it functions, where new Jedi Order fits into it, who runs it, what safeties are put in place to prevent Emperor 2.0, ect." I mean, the meat of a movie focused on Luke training Jedi, and the Republic government not on boar because of what happened with the old Republic Jedi Order would make WONDERFUL fodder for a new film....as would exploring an Imperial remnant that is not bent on conquering the galaxy, like the First Order...but on the idea that without Vader and the Emperor the Empire was a functioning government that could be a benevolent one if run correctly. I mean if they wanted "different" then exploring such things through the Star Wars lens is ideal.

So the Disney goal is what? CONSTANT table resetting to square one and constant war that mimics the OT sides? There's no middle ground here. I don't see how you end IX other than one of two ways: Kylo is killed, First Order disbanded (resetting the stage of ROTJ ending), or Kylo Ren is redeemed, First Order disbanded (resetting the stage of ROTJ ending). With what occurred in TLJ, I'm not sure I see any other way out...and then no matter what they changed, the ST WILL just be a rehash of the OT. And I find that so terribly sad.

So there it is plain. The Star Wars series, as far as Disney is concerned is not interested in telling the story of what the OT (and to an extent the Prequels) sought to tell that of a Republic of Systems seeking peace...because to them (and perhaps just Rian, who knows) the better point to drive him is....even the Republic is a bad idea, so let's not have anything. That will certainly stop the constant wars!

Ugh.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

#1599 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

Interesting thing I'm seeing all over social media (twitter, FB, ect.) is this notion by those that enjoyed TLJ towards those that didn't (or are airing their issues with it)....that the latter are just unwashed, angry fanboys who expected things and didn't get them...and I'm sitting here like "I just don't like this movie, and I feel like I have fairly level-headed, valid reasons for that dislike"....but somehow everyone just says "Shut up, you're not allowed not to not like this thing. If you don't like it it, it's because you're obviously a horrid, basement dwelling internet troll"...

I'm a little stunned to be honest. The through line on the net really does seem to be "If you didn't like this, fuck off and let it go."

#1600 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hey, it's your opinion and you are entirely entitled to it.

...just like all the other horrid basement dwelling internet troll fanboys!

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users