• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Arathan

#1 User is offline   Robin55077 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

My first ever post on this forum and I am probably going to get laughed off the site but here goes anyway:

I know that most people seem to link Korya as Quick Ben andI can see the basis for that argument although in a way that seems a bit obvious and SE is rarely obvious. I know that many people are seeing a link to Arathan as Tayschrenn as well, but theonly real basis for that that I have seen so far is the similarity to Tay's use of the name Artanthos.

I, however, just have the feeling that Arathan is Quick Ben (or at least the Andii soul in QB). In The Crippled God when Quick Ben is at the Spar of Andii during his conversationwith "Mother" he references both a "choice" that he made and the fact that his father should have kept him "chained" if he wanted obedience. Here in FoD, when they finally get to Gothos, it is Arathan's "choice" to remain with Gothos and Gothos says to Draconus that they "will need more than chains to keep him here." Another link I see is that when Quick Ben is at the Spar and he summons the horse with "old blood" the horse that he summons is very similar in description to the vision Arathan has of Calaras as Draconus leaves him, right down to the "eyes flaring as if suddenly lit with lurid flames."

At this point, I really have nothing more solid to base this theory on but wanted to throw it out here anyway.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

There are myriads of theories of the relationship. I'd like the actual quote from TCG to help compare it to, but you could be right. For some reason I think Arathan is someone we haven't met in the BotF, but I could certainly be wrong.

Also, your profile says 3 posts. Not 1. Imposter!!!!!!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

I like the catch about the chains and horses :)
*Men's Frights Activist*

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Definitely a very exciting theory. I vaguely remember that in some book, he talks as if he personally knew Grizzin Farl.
If this hypothesis is true, Quick Ben would be half brother to Spite and Envy. Did he ever make any references to them in any of the books?

There are some odd references regarding Aranthan; he has a very interesting blood "color", something like he grows fast and something about the near drowning incident which seemed to have affected him somehow.

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

Well, he'd be draconic, meaning what hurt him would only make him stronger. He'd be more likely to.....

Huh. Well, I just jumped on the Ruthan Gudd train.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Robin55077 

• Recruit

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 21 October 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

There are myriads of theories of the relationship. I'd like the actual quote from TCG to help compare it to, but you could be right. For some reason I think Arathan is someone we haven't met in the BotF, but I could certainly be wrong.

Also, your profile says 3 posts. Not 1. Imposter!!!!!!

Not sure of the actual page number in The Crippled God (it is 220 in my ebook version) but Quick Ben at the Spar of Andii is the end of Chapter 2. (Didn't remember posting the other 2 posts...Sorry about that.)

#7 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

As to him being the Andii soul in Quick Ben... Arathan may or may not have any Tiste ancestry.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#8 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

What if Tayschrenn, Quick Ben, and Ruthan Gudd were all best friends!!!!!!!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostRobin55077, on 21 October 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

My first ever post on this forum and I am probably going to get laughed off the site

BWWAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHEEEHEHEHHAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAA....
...still here....?
Rats.
Ah well. Solid first post so you can stay. :p

...but here goes anyway:

I ...just have the feeling that Arathan is Quick Ben (or at least the Andii soul in QB). ...when Quick Ben is at the Spar and he summons the horse with "old blood" the horse that he summons is very similar in description to the vision Arathan has of Calaras as Draconus leaves him, right down to the "eyes flaring as if suddenly lit with lurid flames."...

Everything you ref is as good as anything else we've got, but this specific ref is VERY interesting.

View PostKing Lear, on 21 October 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

I like the catch about the chains and horses :p

Yep, the chains too.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 22 October 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Well, he'd be draconic, meaning what hurt him would only make him stronger. He'd be more likely to.....

Huh. Well, I just jumped on the Ruthan Gudd train.

Did it hurt when you landed?

But as far as we know, as of FoD, Draconus isn't Draconic yet and no Eleint are around, so neither is whomever his mother is.

View PostKanese S, on 22 October 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

As to him being the Andii soul in Quick Ben... Arathan may or may not have any Tiste ancestry.

Very good point.
We've suspected his mom is MD, but there are other contenders out there and if any of them are Az'i, he's not Tiste, he just looks like one.

View Postworrywort, on 22 October 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

What if Tayschrenn, Quick Ben, and Ruthan Gudd were all best friends!!!!!!!

AND THEY ALL WENT DRINKING TOGETHER!!!!
actually, that would be pretty boring because none of them would want to talk about anything....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

It was the "...need more than chains." comment that made me think that Arathan was the Builder. Not saying there is evidence that points to this. It was just my initial impression. Like they'd need to come up with a creative solution to keeping him with Gothos. Nothing else really points to this, but I'm not gonna hang my helmet on it either. I still see argument for Arathan being Iccy. Speculation is fun, when there's at least a carpet fiber of evidence.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#11 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Why was Tayschrenn supposed to be QB's shaved knuckle again?

#12 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postnacht, on 22 October 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

Definitely a very exciting theory. I vaguely remember that in some book, he talks as if he personally knew Grizzin Farl.
If this hypothesis is true, Quick Ben would be half brother to Spite and Envy. Did he ever make any references to them in any of the books?

Now that you mention it I do seem to remember him saying that he had 3 bitchy sisters who where constantly trying to kill each other. Didn't think anything of it at the time. Do you think that it might be important. *Note that was sarcasm*

Good theory.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#13 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostRobin55077, on 21 October 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

... that his father should have kept him "chained" if he wanted obedience. Here in FoD, when they finally get to Gothos, it is Arathan's "choice" to remain with Gothos and Gothos says to Draconus that they "will need more than chains to keep him here."

Why not throw in a cage too... he's always referenced as a cagey bastard!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Postworrywort, on 22 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

His backup in the fight against the CG, but that plan went out the window when Tays vanished in RCG.

View PostVengeance, on 22 October 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

... Quick Ben would be half brother to Spite and Envy. Did he ever make any references to them in any of the books?

Now that you mention it I do seem to remember him saying that he had 3 bitchy sisters who where constantly trying to kill each other. ...

What book?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Seatiger 

• Soletaken

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Tay was active in helping fight the crippled god if I read everything right he gave his support to K'rul near the end when it was most needed helping QB in the scope of things.
Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.

#16 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

I need to read TCG again.

#17 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostSeatiger, on 28 October 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Tay was active in helping fight the crippled god if I read everything right he gave his support to K'rul near the end when it was most needed helping QB in the scope of things.

Huh? Couldn't have been in tCG, though, as nobody fought him there.. So, explain, please?
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#18 User is offline   Seatiger 

• Soletaken

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

The way I understand everything is Tay became part of K'rul in the end of Orb/Scepter/Throne which is before the end of TCG so the way I see it Tay helped in the final events at the end of TCG. And or leading up to them.

This post has been edited by Seatiger: 29 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.

#19 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I though QB had one sister and recalls tormenting her at one stage when he lived in a city.
Or was that someone else.
I'm fair certain I recall him thinking that he had been a wild child, which really doesn't suit arathorn

#20 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 October 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 22 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

His backup in the fight against the CG, but that plan went out the window when Tays vanished in RCG.

View PostVengeance, on 22 October 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

... Quick Ben would be half brother to Spite and Envy. Did he ever make any references to them in any of the books?

Now that you mention it I do seem to remember him saying that he had 3 bitchy sisters who where constantly trying to kill each other. ...

What book?

That was sarcasm. He never mentioned it.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users