• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NaNoWriMo: Apocalypse Because it's 2012

#21 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Nevermind, a quick wiki shows that winning is 50,000 words (which is hella Impressive considering how i struggle to write 200 most times)
Given the numbers involved there couldn't really be a winner i guess.
Id love to try it but tue idea of me getting 1700 words a day down is quite frankly ludicrous

#22 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Put me on the list
I'd be very surprised if I manage even 500 words a day, but I want to try it even as an exercise in getting words on a page on a regular basis

#23 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Right so my planning isn't going so well this year.
Haven't got a list of characters yet nor any solid outline, mostly just setting related stuff.
I need to work on this now!

Welcome aboard Macros.

This post has been edited by Darkwatch: 17 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#24 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

don't worry DW, right now my characters are all named things like, 'the father', 'the middle son', and 'the girl', and i'm half-considering trying to write it that way - no proper names.

somebody please, slap some sense into me!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#25 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Nah, last year I got through all 50 000 words with no proper names. You can do it to.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#26 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

Yeah, names are haaaaaaaaaaaaaard. :p

My planning so far is very vague too, especially compared to last year's. I just haven't had the time to drop on it. *sigh* Ah well, long weekend coming up, so I can do it! :)

As for what I'm writing this year, I guess it would class as urban fantasy, mostly. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#27 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:39 AM

Wait? We're suppose to plan?!

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#28 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

Kekekke. You don't have to. The only requirement is pen on paper (or, rather, words on screen). Some of us just like, or need, to have an outline, background details, world building stuff, characters and places, etc. For the record though, I think most of the people who DID do a plan last year, at least here, got further than those who didn't. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#29 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:42 AM

Find then....I guess my genre will be whatever urban fantasy is minus the fantasy :)

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#30 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

I haven't been planing, just considering what to write about. Had a couple cool ideas that I think I could work with but I need to decide soon so I can start to flesh out the idea.

#31 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostDarkwatch, on 08 October 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

November is coming up in a few weeks and that means that across the globe keyboards will start a clamour beyond the normal.
So great will this clamour be that it will awaken Enlil from his sleep and he will condemn us to deluge to silence us.

So for those of you who do not know, NaNoWiMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write a minimum of 50 000 words within 30 days. The lesson here is that quantity outranks quality. You have to let the perfectionist go. You will not write the perfect novel on the first go. You need that messy draft, that incoherent babble to get you to simply write.

Last year a few of us participated and won. Though I lost the subsequent Malazan based nanos to try and keep going.

To achieve the 50 000 words in 30 days you need to average 1667 words. We did so last year. This time I want to average 2000 per day and go for 60 000 words by month's end. It's only about 340 extra words per day.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/about

At any rate I'm signing up again this year and I'm hoping a lot of you do to.

I'm currently setting up my notes and plot line in preparation for the actual writing. So far the setting is taking shape and may change the story, who knows. A shifted plot doesn't matter.

Who's in?

The In:
Darkwatch
Silencer
JLV
Stalker
Loki
Sinisdar Toste
Isolde
Macros

The Moral Support:
Use of Weapons

Not guite understanding. Are you looking for a team author approach or just wanting to know fellow mezla who intend on trying it?

If first, no thanks. But I do think I'm going to give it a try this year. I have no idea at all for a subject; though given recent world events , political climates in several countries , and recent economic it will most likely SF and dystopia. If anyone else is in that same boat PM me and we'll see if we can't toss ideas around. Might help us both.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#32 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Nah, no teams. In fact, one of the few NaNo "rules" is no co-authoring, irrc. We just like to know who's involved so we can all give support to each other over the month and, as you say, compare notes, so to speak. :)

Shinrei said:

#33 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ahi. That's what I thought.

I'm going to give it a shot this year.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#34 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

then best of luck and, planning or not, just do it the way you feel is best. last year i had a pretty blow by blow outline and had no problem getting to sixty k. this year, there's much less. just a setting, bare bare bare plot details, and maybe some character names.

the best way to get it done, i think, is to set aside time in your daily routine. come home from work, write for an hour, or write 2000 words. or wake up early and write until breakfast. imo, as long as you have a "Nanowrimo" slot on your agenda for 25-30 days of november, there's a good chance you'll finish.

- Oscar Levant

#35 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

WHO'S READY!?!??!?

NaNo 2012 (Apocalypse Edition) is just around the corner now, guys and gals! :cry: (Oh god, my life...)

Shinrei said:

#36 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I was debating signing up again this year ("winning" last year was fun!) but I am completely bereft of any ideas, apocalypse-wise or other. I'm kinda disappointed in myself because I usually have ideas dripping out of my ears but alas, not this time. Anyway! Good luck to everyone participating! :cry:
~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#37 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

totally unready.
I have an idea for an opening and an ending, but how the hell I'm to connect the two is beyond me!

#38 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

You go guys! You're gonna rock! Woo-hoo!

*sitting on the sidelines, sipping a cup of tea*
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#39 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

well, just back from a cousins wedding in another city, and i find myself having to throw together a halloween costume in two days, and i have to start Nanowrimo the day after that! talk about your first world problems :The Force:

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 29 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

- Oscar Levant

#40 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostLoki, on 08 October 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

EDIT:

2) Do not edit as you go. Editing is for December and beyond. Think of November as an experiment in pure output. Even if it's hard at first, leave ugly prose and poorly written passages on the page to be cleaned up later. Your inner editor will be very grumpy about this, but your inner editor is a nitpicky jerk who foolishly believes that it is possible to write a brilliant first draft if you write it slowly enough. It isn't. Every book you've ever loved started out as a beautifully flawed first draft. In November, embrace imperfection and see where it takes you.

:The Force:

That is so me. I loved word processors when they first came out because I could edit right then. But that soon became edit every sentence. Twice. or Thrice.

Anyways, I've got some notes for a 'fresh' look at necromancy. Before I do that though, has anyone (published authors) in the last 5 or even 10 years done anything with that? I feel I'm current up to there but a little shaky on recent stuff. I took a long stretch of reading only nonfiction.

And damn SE. Every thought train seems to collide with the "shit, SE did that in book X" block.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users