Paint by Numbers! troubles, ideas, suggestions and lifestyle

#61 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

welcome to the forums! Glad to have you with us.

I think Tiam was a team kill. Anomander spearheaded the effort but other andii ascendants were involved. Korlat, Orfantal and Silchus being the only ones I'm sure about...well Silchus at the very least.

When I drew up Raest fighting Silanah I found that you can use perspective and view angles to make either character equal on page despite size differences. If Tiam is in the distance you can scale her with trees, hills or ruins.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 27 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#62 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostDolmen+, on 27 September 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

welcome to the forums! Glad to have you with us.

I think tiam was a team kill. Anomander spearheaded the effort but other andii ascendants were involved. Korlat, orfantal and silchus being the only ones i'm sure about...well silchus at the very least.

When i drew raest fighting silanah I found that you can use perspective and view angles to make either character equal on page despite size differences. If tiam is in the distance u can scale her with trees, hills or ruins.

Are you the artist of ?: Posted Image

Awesome work man! Lots of respect and applause :-) It kind of inspired me to go with T'iam vs Rake rather than a fun idea that I had: Rake as a small Andii-child with mother dark walking hand in hand :) I know it makes no sense, but it would be fun.

What I'm going with now is first T'iam in a fighting stand and then I will see how the rest fits in. T'iam is such an awesome being that she (I just think it's a she :)) deserves the full span of my attention.
Seems to me that fighting an Eleint like T'iam with swords doesn't really make sense, maybe just to finish it when the magic is depleted. Most of the fighting would have to have been with magic and good teamwork.

Maybe nice to see the work progressing, it's going to be a long time though. This is actually my first (digital) painting, so I can't rely on experience and kind of learn as I'm going. It took me about 3 hours to get the details in the head, but now that I figured that technique out, it should speed up a bit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have to put in the teeth, so don't worry about her looking like a snake. Although I don't really mind the look at this point :-)
What colour does T'iam have? I plan on filling in the colour last, but I was wondering whether there was a passage about that somewhere in the books. I kind of picture her brown/rust/redish

btw, I might have overdone it with the image size. The head is about a 40% crop. Going to be a large file when I'm ready :)

This post has been edited by Sibylle: 27 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

#63 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm sorry I cant see which Image you've posted but it is very likely the one by Michael Kormack which eats my poor attempt for breakfast.

Heres Kormacks: http://1.bp.blogspot...t%26Dragons.jpg

Heres mine: http://fc00.devianta...aan-d3yi138.jpg

Both should help you compose your piece. For your first attempt at digital painting the stuff above is looking really good. I was gonna advise everyone following this thread to have a look at Ctrl+Paint.com or the resource section of Artgermination here: http://artgerminatio...allery/38090243
Should help with the basics.

The main issue I can pick up is Tiams stance. it looks unusual but interesting. I think you should re-look her forearms. Dragons tend to have smaller front legs. I can't make out if she's in flight or on a wall or something? her tail would likely be longer and tapered with far less flexibility close to her backside and more flexibility towards the end.

Thats all stuff that I think need more attention. I'm sure as its your first dgital painting the more tutorials and reference you can get the easier it will be.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 27 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#64 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

The picture i posted is indeed the one by Micheal Kormack ;-) He is truly a master of Pencul, the Elder warren of drawing :)
I like your art! it really catches the characters and the scene well! Nice!

Thanks for the compliment, I try to do my best as I'm learning. The resources from Artgermination are quite helpful I think, thanks again!

I agree that the arms and tail need some refining, especially the arms. As a stance I am going for a mid-air turn, which puts more force behind the attack and shows how agile she is. But I might change it if it doesn't work out. It is a really difficult position to draw and I found myself multiple times standing in front of the computer with my legs acting as a tail, my arms as claws and trying to get the position memorized. Good thing no-one walked in :)
shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

#65 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Ha! That would be quite a sight to see! And yes kormack is the master. I happily accept.

I think a half turn midair is gonna be challenging. There might be some precedent on it. But this is the first time I've seen someone attempt it. I hope it works out. Where abouts do you plan to put the dragon slaying andii?

#66 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I keep my thumbs crossed :)

I was thinking about T'iam looking directly at Rake, some Andii attacking from above and one still undecided. I'm not sure how to prevent them looking silly small in comparison :) But first lets finish T'iam.
shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

#67 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

yeah, get tiam right. Everything else will come together once you get her placed in a good setting.

I'm gonna start again with my piece on shadow, I genuinely think i can do better. It was a good excercise though. Will post new progress soon.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 30 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

#68 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thinking of buying a new tablet! So exciting! So far i'm planning to get a kanvus artist 127 or the latest genius range X range. Wacoms are waaaay over my price range but i wish i could get them. What tablets are you guys using?

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 02 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

#69 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Wacom Bamboo. Never had anything different, so can't help with your choices. But it serves.

Time to add some things I'm working on.
This is something I started a while ago.
The ford over the daujhistan river from the start of MOI
Attached File  new ford darujhistan.jpg (220.51K)
Number of downloads: 0
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#70 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Damn I envy you! I want a Wacom bamboo soooo badly! That painting is looking slick CN. I have always thought of the fording scene as my first memorable moment in the books despite having started with deadhouse gates. For me, the story really all begins with that scene. Awesome choice man.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 02 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

#71 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Wacom Bamboo as well.

I havent done a tap in regards to advancing my drawing in the last few weeks, travelling and drinking have put everything askew.

That being said I always had a vision in my head of what I would love to try and draw for the river crossing from MoI, it was next on my list after kulp.

Will be gettign back into trying to learn this stuff again now

#72 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

I use Wacom Bamboo. i love fancy technology and browse for a new tablet from time to time, but really the only complaint I would have regarding the Bamboo is a lack of options for customizing settings. Specifically, I would like a shortcut to zoom and the color pick thingy.

Nobbs, I love the color scheme and the general feel of it.

#73 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

The Bamboo series is quite cheap as far as I know, or do you mean it's expensive inclusing the shipping, Dolmen?

@Isolde: Have you tried programming your Bamboo? At the very least the pipette tool should be doable.

Anyway, I do have a Bamboo as well, but I don't use it much. I like it, though. I had the opportunity to work with my best friend's Cintiq, but the only difference I could see/feel was indeed the screen, which was, in tablet size M, way smaller than my laptop screen und thus not really helpful.

This post has been edited by Puck: 02 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#74 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

I also have a Wacom Bamboo (model CTH-661 ). I think I bought it for like €70,- second hand on the internet.
Never used anything else for drawing, expect paper and pencil :p
shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

#75 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

wow, I walked into an IT store and they quoted me the only available wacom they could order was R7000 roughly $900 which is just ridiculous. The best genius, which I had qouted, was R1000! But maybe I should try ship it in. Will hit takealot.com, they might have the Wacom bamboo series at a more moderate price...

Edit!

Good news everyone, the wacom bamboo is infact availabe at R1,800! Im thinking about ordering it after telling the helpful IT girl I no longer need her services.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 03 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

#76 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I was going to say I'd send you the old wacoom that's kicking around my house somewhere, the disc is lost for it and I was having a bastard of a time getting it to work on my old laptop
its very small though

#77 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 October 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

I was going to say I'd send you the old wacoom that's kicking around my house somewhere, the disc is lost for it and I was having a bastard of a time getting it to work on my old laptop
its very small though

It's the thought that counts!

I'm partial to medium size tablets, don't really like my current tablet because its A3 size and really hard to manouevre.

How to create your own BRUSHES! very well done tutorial.

http://katikut.devia...x_age%3A8h&qo=8

#78 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

This is one new take on shadow. What bugged me in the last one was that it was trying to be both epic and up-close at the same time. The hounds looked wrong and the pieces of the composition where all fighting for focus. With this I think I managed something more unified with a clear focus for all the characters. I was thinking of trying a grander view next (Them looking out to a landscape or something) In this piece everyone looks tense and about to do something overt...but shadow is sneaky. I want to try my oprions and see if I can up the sneaky factor.I think I can make a fair decision once I do all that...

Attached File  MAGES Shadow Throne REDUEX 3S.jpg (343.72K)
Number of downloads: 18

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 04 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

#79 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

I definately prefer your new take, looke good so far.

Only thing I noticed: boobs don't grow out of collarbones, not out of armpits. They need to be further down a notch or two, with that size and considering anatomy and gravity. Or be smaller. In any case, they should not be growing out of her collarbones.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#80 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostPuck, on 04 October 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

I definately prefer your new take, looke good so far.

Only thing I noticed: boobs don't grow out of collarbones, not out of armpits. They need to be further down a notch or two, with that size and considering anatomy and gravity. Or be smaller. In any case, they should not be growing out of her collarbones.

I bow to your expertise! Your boob-fu Is superior!

I still wanna try a few more Ideas but Yeah I like this one. might rework it to let us see who they're about to fight...also I think its too crowded in all these pics. will drop either Gear or Shan... Most likely Gear

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 05 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users