• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paint by Numbers! troubles, ideas, suggestions and lifestyle

#181 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Progress
Attached File  why are you killing us 2.jpg (185.95K)
Number of downloads: 1

Going to try and finish this pretty quick because I'm leaving for warmer climes(Queensland) for the next couple of months
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#182 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

@Corp: Nice! that's looking really good.

Your background scenery is actually quite stunning, I fear though that we lose the point of the pic. The focus is a bit lost as the Storm-rider is really far down the page. As gorgeous as it may be I think you need to crop it so there is more emphasis on the foreground. of-course you can add in something to fill up that sky but as it is its a lot of baggy, lost space. I do love how the suns reflection on the water guides the eye down to the storm rider. I'm envious of the setting quality and your technique!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#183 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well I'm calling it a night. Heres what I managed:

Attached File  Storm Riders3Cs.jpg (381.81K)
Number of downloads: 2

Still VERY vague. gonna start detailing it now and over the weekend...I hope. Got work piling up in the background so its all a bit pie in the sky. :p
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#184 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Looking kick-ass Dolmen. Really like the flow you've got going,
taking out the figure was right and I think the ice you've added to the foreground does the same job.

I was worried about that Dolmen, and I think your right.
So I've cropped about half the sky and a bit off the edge. Not sure about it yet.
Added some water for him to sit in as well, probably won't keep it.
Gotta add some seaweed and hair as well

Attached File  why are you killing us crop.jpg (194.57K)
Number of downloads: 3

#185 User is offline   High House Dark 

• Gooseberry Extraordinaire
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Wuaaahhhhh I really want in on this contest, but I have so much on my plate right now. Of course, that's always the best time to add more (and I seem to always do that....)

Anyhoo, popping in to say WOW I really like what you guys are coming up with! And yeah, Nobbs, I think cropping it definitely put the focus back on the figure.
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#186 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Posted Image
Started as a doodle to flesh out the armour, turned into a "rough colour guide". Depending on how I feel later I might just call it quits and finish this off to submit instead... I tried sculpting him and the wave beast thing in zbrush but it crashed both times when I tried to save /_\
~ toranekostudios.tumblr.com ~
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#187 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

Yeah I like the look on that latest edit Corp. reads a lot easier.

ToraNeko: I actually have to be very honest here. The new character you have there seems a bit off.

He doesn't feel very alien or rather he looks a bit more like a character you'd find
in a D&G game. Not much tells me about his relationship with the water, or the fact that he is
based in the Malaz world. This might get helped with more context but at present he feels...
out of place maybe? your last entry had a lot more going for him I feel.

#188 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostDolmen+, on 17 June 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

Yeah I like the look on that latest edit Corp. reads a lot easier.

ToraNeko: I actually have to be very honest here. The new character you have there seems a bit off.

He doesn't feel very alien or rather he looks a bit more like a character you'd find
in a D&G game. Not much tells me about his relationship with the water, or the fact that he is
based in the Malaz world. This might get helped with more context but at present he feels...
out of place maybe? your last entry had a lot more going for him I feel.

LOL. I knew he wouldn't go down well with you guys. I know you people don't take well to "high fantasy" looking stuff, and a lot of elements of his armour were taken from MTG. I tossed up posting it here and decided to do it anyway, had a gut feeling this would happen... :p
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#189 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

Posted Image

By Donato Giancola
Just saw this on the Muddy Colours blog. Stick a couple of legs on that mermaid, and its nearly exactly how I pictured that scene I've been trying to paint for the last couple of days... FML

#190 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

The dudes who run that blog are freakin' gods among men.

#191 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Heres where I'm at with that storm rider of mine...

Well I'm stumped. Not sure if this is working or not. tempted to start again but not sure. The figure in the foreground, is showing potential but not sure. wanted to make it a scene no one has imagined yet. Who do we know served on the wall aside from Dassem? I've done enough versions of that man, want to give some one else a shot. :thumbsup:

Attached File  Storm Riders4Dss.jpg (277.44K)
Number of downloads: 2

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 07 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

#192 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Faradan Sort! She never gets enough love, and she's tough as nails.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#193 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

View Postworry, on 07 July 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

I thought that wasn't confirmed? but either way shed be a beautiful add to the image. googling her I get only that she was female and a soldier. no idea about physical appearance but I'm guessing pale, short hair and blond?

Thinking of her wearing a ponytail. will draft something up later... BTW I am working on that image of sinn. I have her here as blond and light skinned but thinking it through she is likely darker haired and slightly darker in complexion aswell.

Now here's Brood, done up a step further than the last, two more passes should get this up to HD quality. using my brothers bamboo and it is hard to stop working on things. so much ease to blend its ridiculous!

Attached File  Caladan Brood6s.jpg (283.29K)

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 08 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

#194 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Uuuuuh Caladan's quite the charmer! :)/> But, in all seriousness, I like the coloring technique used on the skin; I'm having constant problems with realistic skin shadows. Perhaps could come here for some ideas...
Some asymmetry in the face that makes the (his right) cheek look somewhat flat compared to the other, methinks.

Also the contest piece's looking wonderful.

Glanced at the deadline in DA...a month, that's waaay too short a while for me too. :thumbsup:

#195 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostZorm, on 08 July 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

Uuuuuh Caladan's quite the charmer! :)/>/> But, in all seriousness, I like the coloring technique used on the skin; I'm having constant problems with realistic skin shadows. Perhaps could come here for some ideas...
Some asymmetry in the face that makes the (his right) cheek look somewhat flat compared to the other, methinks.

There have been plenty of useful posts in here on skin...I made a Super Link Edit to the OP. I'm sure you can find something useful here.

View PostZorm, on 08 July 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

Also the contest piece's looking wonderful.

Glanced at the deadline in DA...a month, that's waaay too short a while for me too. :thumbsup:/>/>

Heh, no worries we tend to have one every other month so if you missed this one you're welcome to join the next. also I don't see why you can't just do something anyways for the fun of it!

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 08 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

#196 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 08 July 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

I thought that wasn't confirmed? but either way shed be a beautiful add to the image. googling her I get only that she was female and a soldier. no idea about physical appearance but I'm guessing pale, short hair and blond?

It was confirmed, and by herself, no less. As to her appearance.. there's not a single quote that tells us anything about it, except that she's quite a presence and used to have long-ish hair before Y'Ghatan, she says to Sinn: 'Long hair just gets in the way, Sinn. You're better off without it. I don't miss mine at all. [...]' So ponytail sounds like a good idea. Not sure about blonde, but since there's no word either way it's probably up to anyone's guess.

Thinking of her wearing a ponytail. will draft something up later... BTW I am working on that image of sinn. I have her here as blond and light skinned but thinking it through she is likely darker haired and slightly darker in complexion aswell.

I honestly can't imagine what's it with you and blonde hair, but Sinn's black haired and probably not too pale, considering she's from Seven Cities.

This is from RG, but I'm sure there are plenty of other quotes confirming it..

Straggly black hair whipping about, a bone flute in her hands, its music flung out into the bitter tumult like inky strands, as she cavorted in the face of the weather as if spider-bitten.
Sinn, the child witch. The High mage with a thirst for blood.
Child of the rebellion. Stolen from the life she would have lived, fashioned by horror into something new. Child of Seven Cities, of the Apocalyptic, oh yes. Dryjhna's blessed spawn.

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#197 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is where I am with the Stormrider. Re-did the rider. Other one wasn't working.
Added and arch for the rock on the left, trying to open it up a bit.

Might have to call this one. Leaving for my trip tomorrow (couple of months in Queensland)

Edit: FINAL
Attached File  why are you killing us FINAL small.jpg (423.61K)

This post has been edited by Corporal Nobbs: 08 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

#198 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostPuck, on 08 July 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

It was confirmed, and by herself, no less. As to her appearance.. there's not a single quote that tells us anything about it, except that she's quite a presence and used to have long-ish hair before Y'Ghatan, she says to Sinn: 'Long hair just gets in the way, Sinn. You're better off without it. I don't miss mine at all. [...]' So ponytail sounds like a good idea. Not sure about blonde, but since there's no word either way it's probably up to anyone's guess.

I honestly can't imagine what's it with you and blonde hair, but Sinn's black haired and probably not too pale, considering she's from Seven Cities.

This is from RG, but I'm sure there are plenty of other quotes confirming it..

Straggly black hair whipping about, a bone flute in her hands, its music flung out into the bitter tumult like inky strands, as she cavorted in the face of the weather as if spider-bitten.
Sinn, the child witch. The High mage with a thirst for blood.
Child of the rebellion. Stolen from the life she would have lived, fashioned by horror into something new. Child of Seven Cities, of the Apocalyptic, oh yes. Dryjhna's blessed spawn.

Thanks Puck, You are awesome as usual. Yes, well I had a thought, not many Blondes in my Malazan picture selection, now I suspect everyone If I can. Ironically all the proven Blondes I have been avoiding. not sure whats up
with that. Anyway Sinn with dark hair makes perfect sense. Faradan I'll play around with. Thank you so much for the quote!

@ CN: Thats an amazing final draft, well done man!

#199 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Pretty much done with this I think. was gonna detail it up further but its dragging the competition and I do not want that.

Attached File  Storm Riders6Ass.jpg (502.13K)

#200 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

A couple of anatomical details that seem a little off (like the swordman's weapon arm), but otherwise very creative; the slavering wave-serpent looks great. (Also how tall are the eldritch enemies? Am I looking at the perspective right, or does it seem that compared to the swordsman they'd stand at least as tall as Karsa?)

This post has been edited by Torahammas: 15 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users