Malazan Empire: What do you guys think about this? ADwD end book Spoiler/Question. BEWARE - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

What do you guys think about this? ADwD end book Spoiler/Question. BEWARE Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 June 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

I hold to some thin shred of hope that Dany's return to the Dothraki means a return to kick ass Dany and less sitting around whining Dany. Her chapters in DWD were tedious, especially compared to Selmy's.

I kind of giggled when Martel was fried.

Lol. That's kinda twisted.

I liked his character. Kid has moxy!

You gotta at least give him some respect.

Kid just woke up one day and said, "I'm fuckin' awesome. And what do awesome princes do? They leash dragons! For I am impervious to its flame breath, Sharp teeth, razor Sharp talons, and general killing prowess. And I'm quite sure I can 'mindfuck' it into obeying me. Then I'm going to ride it over to where Dany is. And when she sees how I've stolen one of her dragons how awesome I look mounted atop such a glorious beast, I shall claim her mine!"
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#42 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yah, I liked him too AND I'm glad he died, so that POV should be represented here as well.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#43 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Huh. Just finished ADWD:2ATF and all I feel is frustration. Agree with most things in this thread tbh it all makes sense although GRMM is pretty good at killing off characters/plots that seem to be going in one direction but now move in another. Some other thoughts:
1. Hopefully now Dany has had her wonder through the Dothraki sea and then killed some people with Drogon, she will stop being all "oh these are my people and I must save them" and suddenly be all like "mother fluffers, ima kill you all!"
2.Favourite part (somewhat maliciously) was Cersei's humiliation. It was about time she got pimp-slapped down. I hope she has a painful death, and it is at the hands of Gregor Clegane Robert Strong, acting under Qyburns influence.
3. Jon ain't dead, he's gonna come back and tell everyone to shut the hell up (especially Melisandre) and sort everyone out.
4. Aegon for King! I liked him more from that one book then I did Dany from all 6!
5. If GRRM dies before the books are finished I might just cry.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#44 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 July 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Huh. Just finished ADWD:2ATF and all I feel is frustration. Agree with most things in this thread tbh it all makes sense although GRMM is pretty good at killing off characters/plots that seem to be going in one direction but now move in another. Some other thoughts:
1. Hopefully now Dany has had her wonder through the Dothraki sea and then killed some people with Drogon, she will stop being all "oh these are my people and I must save them" and suddenly be all like "mother fluffers, ima kill you all!"
2.Favourite part (somewhat maliciously) was Cersei's humiliation. It was about time she got pimp-slapped down. I hope she has a painful death, and it is at the hands of Gregor Clegane Robert Strong, acting under Qyburns influence.
3. Jon ain't dead, he's gonna come back and tell everyone to shut the hell up (especially Melisandre) and sort everyone out.
4. Aegon for King! I liked him more from that one book then I did Dany from all 6!

Posted Image

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#45 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

An in-depth Q&A with GRRM, covering a lot of stuff from ADWD. GRRM gives some good answers here. The best, plot-focused interview I've seen in a good few years, actually.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#46 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostWerthead, on 30 July 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

An in-depth Q&A with GRRM, covering a lot of stuff from ADWD. GRRM gives some good answers here. The best, plot-focused interview I've seen in a good few years, actually.

I've got nothing to add ATM, though probably plenty of speculation down the line. In the meantime... damn, there's really a lot packed in that interview.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#47 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Finally got around to reading this (wasn't in a hurry given how it will be before we can expect the next book).

After reading it, I won't be buying the next one anyway - so no harm done on my part. Might pick it up from the library.

The number of characters who I felt were sympathetic to the audience (poorly worded, but characters I might like in other words) was always a small portion of the characters in the series. Of the last few characters I actually cared about, Daenerys kind of withered away in the last couple of books. Maybe she comes back as a strong character, but that much time of meh, I really don't care to read about you will be tough to overcome. Arya I was hoping to see more of and more progression with. Jon Snow was the only one who was given screen time and doing well with it, until the end. If he is dead/almost dead and comes back as warg, changeling etc. that's far less appealing to me than just having that bit at the end of the book skipped.

Rickon could be in there for sympathetic characters, but where is he the last half of the book? In some ways I feel GRRM has bitten off more than he can chew in terms of the number of characters. I also laugh at his quote about Erikson being hard on characters. With all of the Malazan books there is the feeling at the end progress has been made. With ASOIF, at the end of the book it is more along the lines of things having gone for the worse. That bit where the reader can expect things to get better at some point (hope in other words) is missing.

And nevermind who did what or what happened to who, the book is sloooow.

#48 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 19 July 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

I haven't quite brought myself to read it a second time, but apart from number 2 (the epilogue was my favourite part I think) I pretty much concur with all of that. The problem I'm suffering from with Martin is that now I've gone and looked into it, the pre-GoT history seems way more interesting to me than the current plot line. Ah well!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#49 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 06 July 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 19 July 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

I haven't quite brought myself to read it a second time, but apart from number 2 (the epilogue was my favourite part I think) I pretty much concur with all of that. The problem I'm suffering from with Martin is that now I've gone and looked into it, the pre-GoT history seems way more interesting to me than the current plot line. Ah well!

Reading through that list, I can remember precisely none of it. All I can remember from the 2 ADWD books is people getting from one place to another and being all "I hope my past doesn't catch up with/now I'm going to kill lots of people because of it." Or something.

I can't pretend I don't care any more because I am watching through GoT again, this time with my wife and we are really enjoying it so I hope he does something soon but I'm not sure I can bring myself to reread the books if he does.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#50 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

This blog here has some interesting views on the happenings of ADWD.

http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/

It actually helped rescue me from the pit of despair i was in once i finished it and felt like i was missing some things. Its real good stuff.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#51 User is offline   Melnibonean Wanderer 

• Recruit

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

GRRM has said before that he doesn't think the fantasy genre needs anymore Dark Lords in the vein of Sauron. We know next to nothing about the Others and what's motivating them. Jon has Stark blood. The Starks are connected to the Night's King. I think Jon's soul or what have you may well be transported into the Heart of Winter, wherein we may learn more about the Others. Jon may even become the Night's King, using Ice to bring order to the disorder of Fire. Fire may be the religious fervor burning through King's Landing with the Sparrows, the intense hatred of the Northerners for their new Warden of the North, or even Danaerys and her dragons. I have no idea where Stoneheart fits in...I was including her with the religious fervor since she's in the company of a Red Priest.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users