Malazan Empire: What do you guys think about this? ADwD end book Spoiler/Question. BEWARE - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

What do you guys think about this? ADwD end book Spoiler/Question. BEWARE Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostHDiddy, on 15 June 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

It's only going to get worse. She'll have her good parts, but Jorah and Barristan are well liked, so when she has them sneak into Astapor or whatever to open the gates meh. She needs to get her ass to fucking by ser Robert Strong

Fixed.

Sorry, she is now, in books, completely dumb, stupid and again dumb. I take she has right to be dumb with Drogo, after his death, even in Qarth. But making same stupid "Im a teeny girl, you must obey and understand" mistakes again and again... in Westeros, she would be dead five times.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Yah, but I think she's "snapped out of it" -- I mean her whole deal was being traumatized by her dragon eating a little kid, right? All the rest of her stupid decisions in ADWD stem from that, and by the end of the book I think she has a better handle on her relationship with them. I'm not saying GRRM handled it the best way (though it does make psychological sense to me), only that I think he's over that hump of her teenager growing pains and onto the next thing with her. It might be wishful thinking, but I think even just logically Dany's action is gonna ramp up in the next book, starting with the Yunkai/Meereen war stuff, and will gain a lot of momentum finally heading West.

This post has been edited by worrywort: 15 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Danaerys has poor judgement and loses control in aDwD, but I think this is as much an inherent Targaryen hereditary problem (they're inbred and mostly crazy) as it is a teenage imbecility problem.

I'm a huge fan of Slaver's Bay - some of the worldbuilding is shallow, but I really enjoy the decadent, ugly exoticism of it all.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#24 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I would simply love to hear more about Connington than Daenerys walking from romance to romance (and Daario is funny character, I like him:)). We had "OK, we have conquered castle and our invasion began" in few pages of Connington and than "Him...or him...hmm...Im hallucinatng...hmmm...Martells are for crucial alliance...but I dont like him...ups, he got roasted...sooo, which one?"

Aaaargh... :) Its just feeling that ADwD was book capable of finishing run...maybe not last book, bud definetly preludium to big finish. And making Tyrion from bright and funny mind into someone blabbering about food for half a book is painful to watch... So, pls GRRM, moar people of action and less that Targaryen child. Arya would owned her :harhar:
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#25 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Where do whores go?

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#26 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostTerez, on 15 June 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Where do whores go?

I guess I need to start hearing that as "where do hoo-ers go" in my head in advance of the line showing up in the TV series.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#27 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Where do whores go?

HAHA.
Best line evah!
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#28 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostBrujah, on 17 June 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Where do whores go?

HAHA.
Best line evah!

It was a good line until about the third time he said it. At that point it became the most annoying line . . . evah.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

I hold to some thin shred of hope that Dany's return to the Dothraki means a return to kick ass Dany and less sitting around whining Dany. Her chapters in DWD were tedious, especially compared to Selmy's.

I kind of giggled when Martel was fried.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostTerez, on 19 June 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 17 June 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Where do whores go?

HAHA.
Best line evah!

It was a good line until about the third time he said it. At that point it became the most annoying line . . . evah.

Not annoying until said line/question finally receives a decent answer!

So until then.
Where the hell do these hos go?
And why aren't we following them ?
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#31 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Mwhahahahaha!!! :headbang:
- Fiddler

#32 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

That guy that is holding the book looks like the guy from The Guild.

- Maynard James Keenan

#33 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Agree, Jon'll warg into Ghost and get reborn. Likely by Melisandre, but there were those visions where he was in black ice armour with a sword of fire... what are the chances he comes back an Other? Theoretically he's the song of Ice and Fire, but GRRM's been so miserly with info that it could all change. He does need to be better with his warging.

As for Dance, it dragged! "Where do whores go", "much and more", "must needs", "nipples on a breastplate", "words are wind"...faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrkkkk. Dude seems to just fall in love with certain words and then flogs 'em! Dany went from ass kicker who freed the slaves to sooo Katy Perry. Reeeeally luuurved the blow-by-blow super descriptive writing on dyssentry, poolitzer $hit right there! Then there was the whole paragraph describing the food stocks in the stores of Castle Black... seriously:

"In the granaries were oats and wheat and barley, and barrels of coarse ground flour. In the rootcellars strings of onions and garlic dangled from the rafters, and bags of carrots, parsnips, radishes, and white and yellow turnips filled the shelves. One storeroom held wheels of cheese so large it took two men to move them. In the next, casks of salt beef, salt pork, salt mutton, and salt cod were stacked ten feet high. Three hundred hams and three thousand long black sausages hung from ceiling beams below the smokehouse. In the spice locker they found peppercorns, cloves, and cinnamon, mustard seeds, coriander, sage and clary sage and parsley, blocks of salt. Elsewhere were casks of apples and pears, dried peas, dried figs, bags of walnuts, bags of chestnuts, bags of almonds, planks of dry smoked salmon, clay jars packed with olives in oil and sealed with wax. One storeroom offered potted hare, haunch of deer in honey, pickled cabbage, pickled beets, pickled onions, pickled eggs, and pickled herring."

178 words! Don't even get me started on the turtles! Cant' believe this is the same guy that wrote Game of Thrones... two battles coming up, none eventuated, talk about blue balls! Martell - such tedious journey just ended up literally flaming out. Not that I didn't expect it once I was reading the chapter.

And yet the potential in the series is still there, but with two books to go, none of the protagonists have reached their goals. In fact they've only reached the point where they begin becoming who they need to be - Arya just started assassin training; Bran just began Greenseer training; Jon has been LCC, but he hasn't led anyone in battle; Dany failed again as Queen. Given the pace of the last 2 books I don't see how this gets resolved in 2 books.
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#34 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Who in all honesty thinks it will be? Didn't GRRM admit it'll probably take 3 now? And by 3 he means 5. Which means, Abraham finishing it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#35 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Or perhaps GRRM is gonna keep him dead, like in AGOT when he killed off the three most interesting characters in the book.... .....

#36 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I enjoyed the first few books but this is getting ridiculous, book 5 was 400,000 words and for the most part the only things that needed explaining happened in the last hundred pages. How can someone take 6 years to write about a dwarf riding across country and doing nothing?

Good grief, this isnt fantast its turgid medieval bile with a flying lizard that turns up right at the end.

#37 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostParan, on 26 June 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Agree, Jon'll warg into Ghost and get reborn. Likely by Melisandre, but there were those visions where he was in black ice armour with a sword of fire... what are the chances he comes back an Other? Theoretically he's the song of Ice and Fire, but GRRM's been so miserly with info that it could all change. He does need to be better with his warging.

As for Dance, it dragged! "Where do whores go", "much and more", "must needs", "nipples on a breastplate", "words are wind"...faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrkkkk. Dude seems to just fall in love with certain words and then flogs 'em! Dany went from ass kicker who freed the slaves to sooo Katy Perry. Reeeeally luuurved the blow-by-blow super descriptive writing on dyssentry, poolitzer $hit right there! Then there was the whole paragraph describing the food stocks in the stores of Castle Black... seriously:

"In the granaries were oats and wheat and barley, and barrels of coarse ground flour. In the rootcellars strings of onions and garlic dangled from the rafters, and bags of carrots, parsnips, radishes, and white and yellow turnips filled the shelves. One storeroom held wheels of cheese so large it took two men to move them. In the next, casks of salt beef, salt pork, salt mutton, and salt cod were stacked ten feet high. Three hundred hams and three thousand long black sausages hung from ceiling beams below the smokehouse. In the spice locker they found peppercorns, cloves, and cinnamon, mustard seeds, coriander, sage and clary sage and parsley, blocks of salt. Elsewhere were casks of apples and pears, dried peas, dried figs, bags of walnuts, bags of chestnuts, bags of almonds, planks of dry smoked salmon, clay jars packed with olives in oil and sealed with wax. One storeroom offered potted hare, haunch of deer in honey, pickled cabbage, pickled beets, pickled onions, pickled eggs, and pickled herring."

178 words! Don't even get me started on the turtles! Cant' believe this is the same guy that wrote Game of Thrones... two battles coming up, none eventuated, talk about blue balls! Martell - such tedious journey just ended up literally flaming out. Not that I didn't expect it once I was reading the chapter.

And yet the potential in the series is still there, but with two books to go, none of the protagonists have reached their goals. In fact they've only reached the point where they begin becoming who they need to be - Arya just started assassin training; Bran just began Greenseer training; Jon has been LCC, but he hasn't led anyone in battle; Dany failed again as Queen. Given the pace of the last 2 books I don't see how this gets resolved in 2 books.

Hopefully 2000 pages of battles, sudden revelations, this dark god coming back to life from the frozen north (cos we all know he's there) and then finally realising, oh crap its Rhyllor after all. Kill some people, kill off all the rest of the cast favourites and finally have arya appear to waste danaerys as she sits on the throne....there we go, story done now Erikson can complete his trilogies, probably all 6 books before grrm does this next one, HBO can make up the final few series and probably make them better than the last few books....urgh, im annoyed now.

#38 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 June 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

I hold to some thin shred of hope that Dany's return to the Dothraki means a return to kick ass Dany and less sitting around whining Dany. Her chapters in DWD were tedious, especially compared to Selmy's.

I kind of giggled when Martel was fried.

only good bit in the book when the dragons kicked off, rest was pointless and could have been told in a strategic meeting after a fast paced prologue....

#39 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Blog about it why don't you.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#40 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Postworrywort, on 27 June 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Blog about it why don't you.

Fear the wrath of worry, for he is here to keep everyone Sharp!

-tosses dark chocolate at worry, and scuttle away-

Don't look into its eyes!

- Maynard James Keenan

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users