Malazan Empire: What do you guys think about this? ADwD end book Spoiler/Question. BEWARE - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

What do you guys think about this? ADwD end book Spoiler/Question. BEWARE Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

What does everyone think about how they'll go about handling this:

Spoiler

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#2 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

the intro of the book set the stage for how this will be resolved, imo
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#3 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yeah I think he'll
Spoiler

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#4 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm thinkin' he'll
Spoiler

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 13 June 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I'm thinkin' he'll
Spoiler

Indeed, I heard that too, and I'm in on the general consensus you guys think on how they will handle that next book. Definitely.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 13 June 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

the intro of the book set the stage for how this will be resolved, imo

Ah. I really didn't think about that. Only with Ghost.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#7 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 13 June 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I'm thinkin' he'll
Spoiler

Spoiler

- Maynard James Keenan

#8 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

What do you think the possibility is that:

Spoiler

- Maynard James Keenan

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

SPOILERS NOT BLOCKED

Whereas i don't think he's dead at all.

We saw the Red Witch fake a death already with Mance.

My bet is that the whole thing was a setup to fake his death so he could act to save the wildings and whoever else he spent the entire book fretting about without being seen to desert the Wall.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

I never thought of him faking his death. But Ghost was getting all riled up for something.

I did think that maybe he will survive it.

I hope so. Every main char Ive liked has been killed off one at a time throughout the series, and I was sort of banking on Jon to actually finish the series.I was so looking forward to the possibilities of A Huge White Walker army showing up and breaching the wall, even taking control of most of the north, enslaving the land in its cold undead grip.Then having an army, nay a Coalition of the Willing! formed up by all the remaining armies of the 7 kingdomes, lead by JON SNOW himself, rising up to meeth the advancing undead threat. But even they know theyt arent enough. So in comes Dany, riding Drogon, with TWO SPARE DRAGONS ON THE SIDE leading her own army as they team up with Jons army, and then we learn Jon's a targarean(sp) and is able to WORG into one of the dragons, and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE as Dragon Fire meets the Icy Cold Dark Magic of the White Walkers.

YES. WHY AM I STANDING ALL OF A SUDDEN.

Sits back down.

Story has sooo much potential. I hope he takes FULL advantage.

What do you guys think might happen, or could happen. Whether its a very small part of the plot or a major plotline.

Or even what do any of you HOPE happens. Something that you better see or you'll be actually disappointed.

Sorry for spelling, grammar, punctuation. In a hurry, and on a shitty phone trying to type/see.

- Maynard James Keenan

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Brienne is my favorite so I hope she kills a lot of people and has an awesome death (if it comes). I think the Doom of Valyria will be explained somehow, perhaps in conjunction with the Red God. Sansa and Arya will both obviously be better equipped to influence the Game. I don't think LF or Varys will survive. Howland Reed will reveal the truths about the mysterious bloodlines. The Lannisters will be wiped out completely/nobody to carry on legacy. Butterbumps will be the last man standing.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Yeah, they cast her role pretty damn good, too. I like the way Jaime looks at her after she one vs threes those Stark men. The look is like, "it's a female me."

And now that I think of it, one of my biggest questions was wondering if they are gonna have Jaime lose his hand in the TV series. I know its no where near as big a deal as losing a hand, but they didnt make Tyrion lose the nose.

It plays such a huge part in the drastic changes Jaime begins to make, yet I still see them altering it.

EDIT: Wanted to add real quick that Arya was still my favorite female character, though. And I said this in another thread, but when they have Arya stare down Tywin Lannister, and say to him without blinking or looking away, "Any man can be killed." She's a little bad-ass in the making.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 14 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

- Maynard James Keenan

#13 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

Like most people, I imagine he'll be back in some form.

I am curious to see how George ties this all up in 2 (or 3) books, though. One thing I particularly lamented in A Dance with Dragons was the setting: Martin isn't bad at doing exotic/alternate culture settings, but his forte is definitely in the typical, medieval Europe world. I feel that Erikson, for example, is far better when it comes to describing cultures and making them come alive. Personally, I could never get attached to the area around Mereen as a whole. Nothing about the culture there was that interesting.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#14 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostDefiance, on 14 June 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

Like most people, I imagine he'll be back in some form.

I am curious to see how George ties this all up in 2 (or 3) books, though. One thing I particularly lamented in A Dance with Dragons was the setting: Martin isn't bad at doing exotic/alternate culture settings, but his forte is definitely in the typical, medieval Europe world. I feel that Erikson, for example, is far better when it comes to describing cultures and making them come alive. Personally, I could never get attached to the area around Mereen as a whole. Nothing about the culture there was that interesting.

Yeah, me either. It was just the temporary, 'ok lets hurry up and get to some place I care about' type of setting. And yeah, no one can compare to Erikson as far as imaginitive new worlds goes - especially worlds that he is able to make you care about.;

- Maynard James Keenan

#15 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Problem with killed ("killed") Jon is, that its one interesting post-Red Wedding character less. So we will get a lot of wolf/ Jon POW, no dialogues... and it will fall to Daenerys again (I truly, from my deep heart feelings hate her, because she is boring for gazillion books)...and that leaves me Martell (broken from his heir death), Connington (probably gotten few POV and put aside for Dany) and most interesting line, which is Reek + Stannis + Mance. Oh and maybe Jaime, maybe he´ll get killed too, so Dany could have mooore space...:)

Yup, ADwD was huge disappointment to me...mostly because GRRM filled thousand of pages with bunch of cliffhangers, one stupid naive wannabe queen and few interesting (really interesting) story arcs, that ended in cliffhanger too. I dont believe him anymore, that he is able tu pull satisfying end without boring me to death.

Wow, I really woke up grumpy today :harhar:
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#16 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I don't think he's dead. I think Melisandre probably saw his stabbing in her fires and positioned herself to be there to save him. It might be by resurrection, but I tend to favor something simpler. She didn't stop it because she wants him to be more amenable to talking with her than he was before.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#17 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well, it's been said a few times before on this board and elsewhere, but the two big battle chapters that SHOULD have ended ADWD were actually written, and excised purely for size issues. So I mean, they exist, but they're gonna be stuck at the beginning of the next book. I personally think GRRM is gonna pull it off, because despite his penchant for subverting expectations, I think at heart he's also a crowd-pleaser who loves the big confrontation scenes as much as we do. Also, I might be the odd man out, but I still don't hate Dany even though this last book admittedly had a lot of padding in her chapters. Also I don't hate Daario. I mean I don't like him much or anything, but I don't hate that he exists.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 June 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Well, it's been said a few times before on this board and elsewhere, but the two big battle chapters that SHOULD have ended ADWD were actually written, and excised purely for size issues. So I mean, they exist, but they're gonna be stuck at the beginning of the next book. I personally think GRRM is gonna pull it off, because despite his penchant for subverting expectations, I think at heart he's also a crowd-pleaser who loves the big confrontation scenes as much as we do. Also, I might be the odd man out, but I still don't hate Dany even though this last book admittedly had a lot of padding in her chapters. Also I don't hate Daario. I mean I don't like him much or anything, but I don't hate that he exists.

I'm inclined to agree with all of this. With the one caveat that Dany on screen in season 2 went leaps and bounds further towards souring me on her (which I'm still not, but definitely closer than I was initially) than anything in ADwD. WHERE. ARE. MY. DRAGONS?!

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#19 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Agreed, Dany is being a little bitch in the show. Partly that's because they've cut a lot of the meat out of her character, so she seems a lot more shallow on screen than in POV.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#20 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

It's only going to get worse. She'll have her good parts, but Jorah and Barristan are well liked, so when she has them sneak into Astapor or whatever to open the gates meh. She needs to get her ass to fucking Westeros. Esseros sucks.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users