Malazan Empire: George RR Martin - Malazan Empire

• 34 Pages +
  • Last »

George RR Martin Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:23 AM

So a Bush win means Fatty gets some work done ? Ah well! small pleasures from great evils I presume.

Whats the odd's he's still writing in "FOUR MORE YEARS ,FOUR MORE YEARS! "...Isn't satire sh1t.

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:07 AM

They're tricking us. I don't believe it!! Lies, lies! Posted Image

Like LB said though, we've waited so damn long it'll be difficult to find any enthusiasm for itPosted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 Guest_Riot_*

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

hmmm, intersting. Seems like he still has a long way to go...

He mentioned he has written 48 complete chapters, and 18 that are partially finished...total of 66 chapters. That seems like an awful lot...how many chapters did the other books have?

#4 Guest_Caldazar_*

Posted 20 November 2004 - 02:11 AM

Predictions eh? hrm.. One week before Night of Knives is released for the US and a month or so earlier than that for the UK.

#5 Guest_Mithfânion_*

Posted 02 May 2004 - 02:08 AM

Some observations...

DD

Anyway, given the choice I think that Dark Tower fans would rather a sequel take 5 years rather than 20 and that King hold off on writing all those other books.

Okay, now I have to ask for clarification. This is the second post in which you mentioned that King fans had to wait 20 years for a new Gunslinger book. What makes you say this? Are you saying this because you've read a rumour somewhere? Because it is not true at all, which means that even if you felt that your comparison between King and Martin had any merit at all (though it was thoroghly dismantled when it was pointed out that King wrote so many more books in between than Martin), it is entirely moot if you actually check the facts.

Are you aware of the fact that prior to Wolves of the Calla, the last Gunslinger book was released in 1997? 20 years? That's 6 by my count, which is what Martin is fast approaching, and he hasn't done anything in between except re-writing his drafts and a short story.

With regard to dissatisfaction by King's fans, I have no doubt that many Dark Tower fans were anxious for another DT book whilst King was releasing other books. But that is beside the point, which I thought was the output of King and Martin Posted Image

Drake

Yessiree, JRRT sure fit the bill when it comes to the dictionary definition of old-school British prude

If that is a yes to my question if you were aware of the fact that Tolkien had a full-time job next to his writings of Middle-earth, whereas Martin is actually a full-time writer, then I'm happy to see you've come to that realization.

What if the man-hours per written word are less for JRRT vs. GRRM? So what? How much less does it have to be to be a significant fact? I think that's what you're getting at, nes pa?

Let's take a step back here Drake. You were the one who brought up the comparison between Tolkien and Martin. You were the one who asked how long Tolkien took to write the LoTR, after others complained of Martin's incredible lack of process regarding Feast. So the question is not what I'm getting at, but rather what you were getting at comparing the two. They're apples and oranges after all.

Shrug) So? How many Tupac albums have been released since he was gunned down in Vegas? Hell, there's even been a movie!!!

Sadly you missed my point ( or in case you didn't miss it, you're simply trolling). In that case I'll feed you. I mentioned the fact that posthumously thirteen more books were published to show you what kind of output Tolkien had while he was writing. You were after all comparing Tolkien's output to Martin's, so it seems only fair to mention that thirteen books with his writings were published after he died, and substantially sized books at that. The point I'm making seems obvious.

Personally I don't doubt that Martin's next book will be top class, and that he too is eager to be done with it. I've read his e-mail and other correspondence on the Martin board where I post regularly, and he has complained regularly about the fact that 'Feast' is progressing very slowly. On the other hand, fans, myself included, are getting increasingly frustrated by the ridiculous amount of time he is taking writing this single book, especially if these fans see other quality authors publish a book a year, or per two years. And they also see that Martin attends 5-10 science fiction cons, which many other authors don't do with such frequency. It's not strange that that could lead to a certain conclusion.

I'd rather he took his time and made the book as best he can than that he just put an end to it and finish it now. But I expect a professional to make much, much more progress than what Martin has been doing the past few years. And Martin knows that he has both his readers and his publisher in a firm hold, because no one can force him to do anything but take his sweet little time writing it.

#6 Guest_spyger_*

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:49 AM

Well the truth is I don't read martin anymore. He lost me about half way through the third book. I really enjoyed the story but the plot was killing me. I really don't like medival intrigue I could really care less. However I really liked some of the characters (The Hound) but god everytiem I started to actually like a character the would get offed. I just got tired of trying to juggle all the various intrigues, whenever I felt that I had invested in a character or plot line, something would happen to them to totally shift the story for me. I just got tired of trying.

#7 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:22 AM

Well I'm still glad he doesnt rush anything. I'd rather have a well written book than some rushed hack writing just to make a quick buck.

Even if if the book turns badly, noone can say he didn't give his best shot.

And 5 years is NOTHING in the "real litterture™" world.

BM

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

Exactly.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:36 PM

He's such a tease. Posted Image

#10 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 December 2004 - 03:01 AM

Harsh... but maybe fair in parts...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#11 Guest__*

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:51 PM

Was I complaining that he wasn't releasing it?

No. I was pointing out how he said he would release it multiple times (thats the "promise" thingy). And has moved it back every single time because he hasnt sat down and writen it (thats the excuses bit).

#12 Guest_LooseCannon_*

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:34 PM

Would Amazon be selling that, Mith? If not where can I order that for a reasonable price?

#13 Guest_Zollo_*

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:45 AM

Ah yes, double quoting ones own post is a bitch, isn't it? Posted Image Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Lorn 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:23 AM

Don't you know that we shouldn't send GRRM any e-mails? Think about all the time he spends on answering them. It may delay the book a couple of days more... Posted Image Posted Image

Is it too optimistic to think we can have it before christmas?

#15 Guest_Caldazar_*

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:13 AM

I kinda half agree with some of that yet still found it to be a enjoyable read.

#16 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:54 AM

Their seems to be a lot of controversy so in short should I buy it or not.

#17 Guest_Caldazar_*

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:37 AM

well for starters:

quote:
Rand's leniency to the point of absurdity when it comes to women is normal?

How can you say that's his opinion. Most normal people would find it far from normal, which i'm pretty sure is how RJ expects them to think.

#18 User is offline   Mort 

• Captain

Posted 28 April 2004 - 02:03 PM

@Paran - that is what I was trying to say - Jordan seems pretty episodic - discrete packages of story; Martin, well we've been waiting four years and we don't know if Tyrion has actually made it out of the Red Keep yet! Let alone who Cold Hands is...

Erikson tends to break his stories down a bit as well, although the overall themes continue - I imagine it may go towards GRRM's cliffhanger endings come the final part of the cycle

#19 User is offline   Blind 

• High Fist

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Baelish:
And reading the sample chapters that he's released, and the summaries of other chapters, doesn't really fill me with much optimism. It seems that very little happens in them.

I still trust that GRRM will publish a good book, and not a rushed one in which nothing happens. I like to think that that is why it takes him so long to write it.

#20 Guest_ThreeHeadedDragon_*

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:27 AM

March 2005 was my guess half a year ago, most peeps on the GRRM board thougt me wildly pessimistic back then. I am sticking to it. As of a couple of weeks ago he was not 'almost done'.

So a couple of months to finish writing, 2-3 months to editing, 2-3 months for publishing/distributing => Start of 2005 on the shelves

Share this topic:

• 34 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users