• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baldurs Gate 3?

#21 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Site has clearly been overwhelmed by interest.

Looks like the actual news is up elsewhere, we're getting an enhanced edition with improved graphics and possibly some new content.

Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.
Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

Further details regarding platforms, content, etc. will be released later.

#22 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

I shall throw money after this, for I must have it!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#23 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Just got back from a meeting and was finally able to actually get to the site. Wasn't what everyone was hoping for but I have no complaints and will buy them both. What's another 50-100 hours of my life into those games? I already spent a good 500 when I was younger.

#24 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

Yeah the news seems pretty promising, certainly one of the better possibilities there was :(
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#25 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

Enhanced Edition?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#26 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

So someone is... combining BGTutu and the widescreen mod into one exe?

Exciting.

#27 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hmm.....

It must all be for a reason...I can't see why they would devote the resources without a mater sales plan in there somewhere.

My theory: They have nothing to lose.

That team knows BG and BGII (and IWD, IWD2, PST) fans are legion, but also knows it's been more than a decade since the last installment. Modern gamers might get behind an RPG with that kind of gameplay and the core concepts and story in the previous games are well proven in terms of acceptance. Modern gamers will not play a game (at least not en-masse anyway) that looks as dated as the old games, so if they want to expand the fanbase in light of games like Oblivion and Skyrim, it has GOT to be pretty.

Computers (even the terrible ones) are so much more capable than in 1998. An updated version of infinity engine with HD backgrounds, possibly zooming or rotation, prettier spell effects, enhanced character/mob sprites and some UI enhancements would probably work well on even the lunkiest computer since IE games have no 3D effects to speak of. It's basically a picture that you can move game sprites around on with a few dynamic elements like doors.

They don't really need to do much after all, and they aren't exactly writing a new game. WotC and Overhaul are just updating the underlying platform for modern times. The stories are already written, the mechanics are already coded, acceptance has been demonstrated; they're just changing the game's skin. Bonus points if they can figure out how to make it work on a console...cause hey, why not? Nothing like BG exists for console at present.

The effort offers *at least* means of reselling a repackaged, previously popular game to its fanbase to recoup dev costs. Simultaneously however the release answers a critical question: will the modern gaming market consume a radically retro, deep, long-lasting gameplay style without the 3D environment. If the answer is yes, then for no net cost they have conducted a market study and generated some serious positive reputation for themselves and positioned themselves as the frontrunners in a "new" style of game...which means continuation of the series and possible branching out into parallel series like IWD or PST.

If the answer is no, at least they fixed up a good old game, still got market information, still generated some positive rep, recouped costs by selling to the old fanbase and they can leave it at that until somebody decides to turn Baldur's into a FPS to capture the console crowd.

I wonder if they'll update it all to newer rulesets. If they did at least 3rd Edition, that would be awesome.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#28 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

I want more information as to what they mean by enhancing the engine. Does this just mean graphics? Does it mean the rule set will be updated as well? Anything is really fine with me so long as they don't screw with the UI too much and DON't TOUCH THE STORY. Seriously looking forward to more info though.

#29 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

I really hope they aren't changing it to 4.0. I'd be able to live with 3.5, but I'd rather they just stuck to 2.0, perhaps with some slight alterations.

I find it amusing that this information got released yesterday. Seems like Bioware wants to do something to distract people from their rage about Mass Effect 3.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#30 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

NO CHANGE IN GAME MECHANICS!

Apart from fixing a couple of bugs I mean. If they do start changing it I rather think it'll lose the feel that made Baldur's Gate what it is.

And if they do update the ruleset it WILL be 4th edition and I shall curse them forever and ever and all eternity!

But update the graphics, fix the few bugs and I shall give them my money, for Baldur's Gate 1+2 are my all time favourite computer games in terms of replayability, story, enjoyment and satisfaction!

#31 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

How good this will be depends on what and how much they actually change. I'm excited however.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#32 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostMTS, on 17 March 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

How good this will be depends on what and how much they actually change. I'm excited however.

Indeed. The game is awesome as it is and any changes, aside from bug fixes, could potentially ruin the entire game.

So graphics update and bug fixes is what they need to stay with.

#33 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Further to what I wrote before,

I think if they JUST updated graphics to nice shiny HD backgrounds and added a zoom function (so you can see your char with all their boss armor and stuff) with almost no other modifications, it would be killer. Maybe go to NWN syle windowed inventory screens too rather than the full splash inventory screens of the originals.

I am a fan of the streamlinedness of the 3.x rules and something like that might make it more popular for a broader audience. That said, I did feel like NWN was a overpowered-protagonist-button-mash compared to the tactical feel of the original, where any character could die at any moment because of a single misstep.

Updating the rule set completely would constitute a pretty major overhaul IMO, which would permeate every aspect of the game. I'm guessing if my assumption is correct - that this is a precursor and market test for release of further titles - they are going to keep the changes lean and pretty restricted to the user interface. Minimal effort for maximum gain.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#34 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

I was wondering, actually, if the graphics update includes more than a simple "polish" of existing graphics, or if there would be added current graphics style to the game. Making a full plate mail look like an actual piece of armour with several parts or if it's just going to be the same as the old graphic only prettier.

#35 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Well this sounds very promising :wallbash:

Baldur's Gate 3?- Short Interview

After more than a decade of spin-offs and particularly thick clouds of nothing, Baldur's Gate is honestly and truly back. Headed up by BioWare vet Trent Oster, Overhaul Games is clearing the whale-sized fantasy spider cobwebs off Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and adding "new original content in the spirit of the original game." But what sort of new content, exactly? And what's this we hear about Baldur's Gate 3? I spoke with Beamdog/Overhaul's Cameron Tofer to find out.

Obviously, Oster, Tofer, and co have some big shoes to fill and the expectations of, oh, every self-respecting RPG fan ever to live up to. What's to say their ragtag team of vets and "talented friends" can handle it? Well, there's nothing substantial to show just yet, but in the meantime, Overhaul's banking on a one-two punch combo of knowledge and passion.

"I think the new RPGs are great, but I don't think they should be a replacement for classic strategic in-depth RPGs like Baldur's Gate," Tofer said. "I think that's what makes Enhanced so relevant: Baldur's Gate hasn't been replaced."

"I would have to say the characters are what makes Baldur's Gate stay in people's hearts," he continued. "Those characters have so much history, passion and caring behind them. I remember D&D sessions with those characters years before we were even game developers. We had so much personal ownership in them."

"I truly believe that the story and the characters behind are timeless and will have no problem reaching a new generation. Technology will be the access barrier that we're hoping to eliminate."

The Enhanced Editions, however, are being billed as "more than mere remakes." So -- beyond visuals that won't send modern gamers fleeing for their snazzy CryEngines that apparently run on electric power instead of hamsters -- what's new?

"We've been adding side stories, stories to tie things together, unfinished stories," Tofer said. "As far as new types of abilities, we have more announcements coming."

Which is, of course, great news, but it's only the beginning. No, Baldur's Gate 3 isn't A Thing just yet, but if Overhaul has its way, it'll only be a matter of time. Tofer explained:

"Baldur's Gate 3 has been our long term goal. We have a lot of things to put in place before such a project can be launched. So currently there is no such project but that's the one we want to do. Our thoughts have been that Enhanced Edition for BG 1 and 2 just make sense before there's any Baldur's Gate 3."

"We're totally thinking Kickstarter. It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems. I think what Brian [Fargo] is doing with Wasteland is very interesting."

For now, though, Overhaul's taking things one step at a time, and that means regaining Baldur's Gate's rightful throne atop the fantasy RPG kingdom. Daunting? You don't even know the half of it. But to Tofer and co, this isn't a time to leap into the panic room and throw away the key. It's an opportunity.

"The pressure is intense!" Tofer said. "We're doing everything we can maintain the magic and legacy. I totally believe that [Baldur's Gate] is more relevant now than ever. We will be able to reach such a wider audience this time around. It's amazing how global the game really is."

#36 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Good news Lu! But it still doesn't answer the all-important question about whether or not this means a ruleset update or not...

#37 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Now that's what I want to hear. Don't see the point in making it actually Baldur's Gate 3 - the story is well and truly done - but hell, it'll sell better, and if we're getting a new tactical party-based RPG I don't care if they call it Baldur's Gate 3, Neverwinter Nights 3 or Barbie Horse Adventures 5.

"I would have to say the characters are what makes Baldur's Gate stay in people's hearts," he continued. "Those characters have so much history, passion and caring behind them. I remember D&D sessions with those characters years before we were even game developers. We had so much personal ownership in them."

I always gleefully kicked out the bags of whiny amateur psychology patients and created my own party, tbh. Hope that's still an option.

#38 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

"We're doing everything we can maintain the magic and legacy..."

I read this as "we are going to keep the core concept and story of the game but I'm saying in the vaguest terms possible that everything else is going to be completely different". Reinforced by the comment above that they are way more than "just remakes".

This is probably bad news for Primateus...though I don't share his dire predictions of completely ruined gameplay and all that. I found the 3e rules in NWN to be perfectly playable and much more easily understood than the 2e rules of Baldurs. Not that I'm comparing the two games (I played both and know they're totally different), but in terms of the general underlying statistics engine, I don't really care if you call it THACO or armor points; a talent point or a perk. Also, games of today have to be fucking mega blockbusters to make money, meaning you need to design to current standards to a certain extent or people are just turned off. There's obviously no money in retro gaming or everybody would be doing it. Game dev studios just won't go for niche markets anymore...and if they're setting up for BG3 to be their "massive release", then the remakes will probably be a beta version of that ultimate ideal.

Another thing I didn't consider was the possibility of BG and BGII on consoles. It would be tough to implement that port in the games' original form, so I wonder if the overhaul will address that possibility. I hate to think how that might change the gameplay, but if they can successfully cross that bridge without totally ruining the game, they're working with a 1000x bigger pool of possible customers and BG3 will be a massive hit.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#39 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Make no mistake, Cerveza, I too prefer D&D 3.5 instead of 2.0. But if they do update the ruleset I'm telling you right here and right now, it WON'T be 3.5, it'll be 4.0 because that is the standard that Wizards of the Coast is going by these days. 3.5 is not even in their product line anymore. And I'm sorry, but if they do update it, it'll be so radically different that you can't really call it Baldur's Gate anymore.

And that would be a damn shame!

I agree, however, that the games could probably be made compatible with consoles, that would be pretty damn neat and a good expansion of its market base.

#40 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 20 March 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Make no mistake, Cerveza, I too prefer D&D 3.5 instead of 2.0. But if they do update the ruleset I'm telling you right here and right now, it WON'T be 3.5, it'll be 4.0 because that is the standard that Wizards of the Coast is going by these days. 3.5 is not even in their product line anymore. And I'm sorry, but if they do update it, it'll be so radically different that you can't really call it Baldur's Gate anymore.

And that would be a damn shame!

I agree, however, that the games could probably be made compatible with consoles, that would be pretty damn neat and a good expansion of its market base.

Actually, I dissagree entirely.

Partly because who gives a fuck what WotC is running with, it's not their game (BG I mean, clearly D&D is theirs :p), the company just has to pay for the right to use the rules. Given 3.5 is still under the Open Gaming License that may not be at all difficult, and if they do want to retain similarities it's unlikely they'd choose 4e (and they do get to choose). Heck, if WotC has a sad, they could probably just go to Pathfinder like everyone else does :p (Pathfinder is unnoficially D&D 3.75). Secondly WotC is already jumping ship on 4e, in a rather serious way. They've even reached out to the community in making the next version (which came across very much as an apology for 4e).
That's not to say they definitely won't go for 4e, but I would call it far from a given.

And Cerveza, games do not have to be a mega blockbuster to make money. It's all based on the budget. And this doesn't sound like the biggest budget project on the block. They'll have a fair bit of work ahead of them sure, but there is so much of the game already done for them (even with the job of going over and redoing everything, still much cheaper than doing it from scratch).
And it depends a lot on how they do it.
They may change less and not make the graphics ridiculously high end, just nice, for BG. Then gradually improve things game by game as previous games become a success. Or they may do a pretty high end job the first time, then be able to re-use engine and art and things to make the second one much cheaper.

They have the room to do this properly and make a decent chunk of cash off it. It remains to be seen if they will or not, but I think the market and the options are both truly there...

This post has been edited by Lucifer's Heaven: 20 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users