• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baldurs Gate 3?

#1 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

Gothos alerted me to this recently.
theres a teaser site up, and rumours abound but has anyone heard anything concrete?
I've mostly seen suggestions of just a rerelease with the upgraded infinity engine or a tablet port.
I'm hoping for bg 3 black hound, or somehow a furtherance of the bhaal storyline

#2 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

Honestly, looking at the company behind it and a few of the twitter/source code hints, pretty much everything seems to be pointing to an iOS port or something like that :p

#3 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

Yeah, from what I've heard it's an iOS port.

I wouldn't want Bioware to develop Baldur's Gate 3 anyway. They're too commercialized now. Just take a look at Mass Effect. The series started as an RPG mixed in with a little 3rd person combat. Now, it's 3rd person combat with a little RPG mixed in. The first Dragon Age was extremely lame (I know a lot of people thought it was great, but I found it too typical and boring), and from what I've heard the 2nd was really bad too. It saddens me to say this, but Bioware is no longer on my list of favorite game companies.

The good side of it is that we'll always have the classics, like BG2 and Neverwinter, to look back on.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#4 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

The source code quotes in that page suggest a whole new story.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#5 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostDefiance, on 12 March 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

Yeah, from what I've heard it's an iOS port.

I wouldn't want Bioware to develop Baldur's Gate 3 anyway. They're too commercialized now. Just take a look at Mass Effect. The series started as an RPG mixed in with a little 3rd person combat. Now, it's 3rd person combat with a little RPG mixed in. The first Dragon Age was extremely lame (I know a lot of people thought it was great, but I found it too typical and boring), and from what I've heard the 2nd was really bad too. It saddens me to say this, but Bioware is no longer on my list of favourite game companies.

The good side of it is that we'll always have the classics, like BG2 and Neverwinter, to look back on.

How anyone can hold Neverwinter Nights as a classic will forever be beyond me. Granted, I've played multiplayer, and utilised that storyteller stuff that everyone say is so good. But the single player is so bad on its own that everyone involved in making the game should be drowned in menstruation blood.

Also, it's strange how so many complain that there aren't any new, original titles being released by big companies anymore, yet still everyone manages to lose their head over a possible third game from an IP from the 90's.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#6 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Salutations, I liked Neverwinter Nights immensely. Certainly, it was absolutely no Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, but quite enjoyable to me. I don't really see what it is that people dislike about it.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

I really think we should turn down the RPG elements. I mean, who wants to play an RPG with RPG elements anyway.

Maybe turn it into more of a tactical shooter....yeah definitely....in fact have all the RPG piffle just automatically controlled for the player cause nobody likes that bollocks anyway.

It definitely needs to be more accessible to the mainstream gamers too. I want to see cutscenes. In fact, just have the whole game be a cutscene with options labeled "GOOD" and "BAD" at the bottom clearly printed in bold blue and red letters.

woah man...we got a winner.

*transcript of actual Bioware software dev meeting*

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 12 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#8 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 12 March 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Salutations, I liked Neverwinter Nights immensely. Certainly, it was absolutely no Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, but quite enjoyable to me. I don't really see what it is that people dislike about it.

The main campaign was dreadful and only being able to control one character was just a baffling design decision, especially with only one companion slot. With that said, HotU was a great campaign, and the sheer amount of amazing quality modules made it probably my second most played game of all time next to Morrowind.

#9 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 12 March 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 12 March 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

The main campaign was dreadful and only being able to control one character was just a baffling design decision, especially with only one companion slot. With that said, HotU was a great campaign, and the sheer amount of amazing quality modules made it probably my second most played game of all time next to Morrowind.

I'll admit that the "only one character with only one companion slot" was rather stupid and thoroughly annoying. But other than that, I enjoyed the game.

#10 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Actually, there's one reason why I don't want to see a Baldur's Gate 3. It's simple, such a game much, by all intents and purposes, be more awesome than Baldur's Gate 2. And I just don't see that happening. Especially if they have to use those, and they will, awful 4th edition rules!

#11 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

The title took me by surprise. The first replies were disheartening. But by the end, there was still hope.

#12 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

In all seriousness, if the game kept a top down perspective, allowed at least 4-5 player-controlled characters and faithfully followed any official DnD edition in terms of character points, rolls, saves, etc... without "simplifications" or stupid automatic crap (even if it isn't the most popular ruleset) then it would play well.This type of thing isn't out of reach either. The 2nd edition rules are ridiculously complex and they managed to follow them more or less faithfully in a 1990s game. Mechanics wise, incorporating a DnD ruleset is totally possible cause it's all based on random numbers, math and logic at its core.

The gameplay ideal for me would be a blend between Crusader No Remorse, NWN, and baldur's. No need for a full 3D 3rd person navigable environment a la WoW, Guild wars, dragon age, etc... just super high resolution backgrounds that don't get pixely as you zoom in, allow rotation rather than transparent terrain features, enhance the mob models and have awesome spell effects. Oh, and script more character movements than "walk" and "swing".

I would definitely trust bioware RE story. The mass effect games prove their writing staff are capable of putting together a compelling plot and building a very playable game around it. Their lean toward moral decisions that dictate outcomes in the ME games would be a welcome addition to a medieval fantasy game as well...rather than the stereotypical hero vs. big bad evil wizard demon thing. It would also be cool to see a simultaneous novel and/or comic book release that provides lore and background following BG 1 & 2, leading up to the events in the new game. Hell, even make it 1000s of years post-BG2 if you want...I'm all for new settings and stories.

I dunno, so many ways to do it right. So many more to do it wrong. As long as it stays a fully-fledged RPG, I'm happy with it. To do otherwise with the legacy of Baldur's gate would be a grave sin.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#13 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on 12 March 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

The title took me by surprise. The first replies were disheartening. But by the end, there was still hope.

I agree. Although it wasn't a surprise for me, as I naturally read about it before Macros created the thread :p

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#14 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

So a countdown has appeared on the site. Looks like we will find out what's going on soon.

#15 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

0:4:35:10

Only 4 and a half more hours...

#16 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'll be at work then, b*****ds!

Not getting my hopes up much given that the company behind it do seem to do ports and there's not been mention of a BG3 for a long while but I would like to see a new game, regardless.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#17 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

It's at like 5 in the morning here, so you'll probably find out at work sooner than I will :(
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#18 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

the counter just hit zero... nothing happened.

#19 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

probably crashed. Fucking nerds depriving me of my nerd fix.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#20 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

500 Internal Server Error

That is what I'm seeing when I hit refresh... Too many people hitting the refresh button at the same time.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users