• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12841 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 October 2021 - 06:31 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 October 2021 - 05:37 PM, said:

Colin Powell died. I guess it was covid related.

COVID related but he was already fighting fairly severe cancer.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12842 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:14 AM

View PostAbyss, on 18 October 2021 - 06:31 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 October 2021 - 05:37 PM, said:

Colin Powell died. I guess it was covid related.

COVID related but he was already fighting fairly severe cancer.

I mean people with weakened immune systems are much more at risk to Viruses/Diseases. Hence why getting that vaccine is to help safeguard both yourself and your community, for those who are selfish enough to think it's only about them.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 19 October 2021 - 02:15 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12843 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:39 PM

On the way home last evening, I stopped off at the grocers. As I parked, I noticed an SUV with writing on the window (the impermanent marker kind, like used for "Just Married" and "Congrats Class of 2021 graduate"). This message said "Trump Won!" and below was a website address - toresays.com. I've been too scared to see what lies on that website. Anyone want to check it out and report back?

#12844 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:42 PM

Laptops, German hosted email sever apparently used by Presidents Obama and Biden, and the name Hunter Biden more times than I can count.

My ad algorithm is going to be skewed for months because of this. I hope you appreciate it.

#12845 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 October 2021 - 06:50 PM

So Saturday we were out and about and decided to drive through this neighborhood that is perfect for trick or treating. The homeowners do it up big time with the decorations (even have received local press coverage). The layout of, and the architecture (colonial), of the houses, which were built late 19th to early 20th century, is just too perfect. It's like a Halloween movie set. So we are driving up and down the streets and enjoying all the creepy and scary decorations when we came upon the scariest house in the neighborhood - no decorations except a large banner on the side of the house "LET'S GO BRANDON! - Take America Back 2024." Isn't it fascinating how stuff like that catches on? Has anyone ever done an examination of viral trends and how they become so popular so quickly? Anyway, I'm guessing this particular house may awaken Monday morning to raw egg splatter on that sign. Also, funnily enough, this morning I see an incident is blowing up in the news regarding the captain of a SW Airlines fight catching hell because he used the phrase after a routine address on the PA to the passengers. What a world.

#12846 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:11 PM

Ummmmm ... what. The. Fuck? Didn't know whether to put this here or in Weird News Story Du Jour thread. :crazy:

https://www.news.com...141d9bf008e6802

Although I think the headline has a great typo:

"Hundreds gather in Dallas expecting assassinated son of JFK to be appear and become US President"

Pretty sure JFK Jnr died in a plane crash and it was his dad who was assassinated, but you never know ...

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 November 2021 - 08:13 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12847 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:33 PM

'Pennsylvania Guv Unwittingly Admits He Violated State Election Law

OOPS

Even Democratic governors aren't exempt from violating election laws. In a radio interview [...] Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf accidentally admitted to a violation, saying he had his wife drop off his ballot for the state's municipal election. [...] State law prohibits anyone other than the voter from dropping off a ballot, with offenders subject to up to a year in prison, a $1,000 fine, or both. [...] the governor's office said the incident "was an honest mistake," but Wolf was still attacked by some state Republican legislators. "This is illegal under the election code," tweeted [...] who represents York County, where Wolf lives, "BUT would have been legal had [Wolf] signed HB 1300."'

https://www.thedaily...on-law?ref=home

Ut oh they got one.... Trumplandia (Pennsylvania has been described as 'Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between') is loving this. That tweet by the Republican who represents York is a little reassuring, since they seem to acknowledge that it shouldn't be illegal.

IDK how far Trump will go in exaggerating this....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 November 2021 - 06:33 PM

#12848 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:00 PM

Censure and holding a vote on whether to go ahead with it is just political theater, no? And in today's digital saturation of social media, it is just another lane to explore in which you can grow your brand and "influencer" presence.

#12849 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 November 2021 - 04:43 PM

Something did come from it. He was stripped of his committee assignments. I guess he retweeted it again after the decision. Class act. We are in a lot of trouble.

#12850 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:17 PM

Diplomatic boycot of the olympics in China? Does this even count as symbolic? What will this really achieve?

#12851 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:23 AM

Nothing it's just political pandering.

The whole world is shocked and angry because a rich tennis player has been sent into house arrest but nobody apparently gives a shit about millions of other Chinese people in reeducation camps, living as slaves, living in fear of being disappeared, etc.

Won't somebody think of the Tennis people?

#12852 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:42 AM

people are always more touched by personal stories, and especially stories told by someone they have a connection to. Here the connection is all these upper class people watching her play tennis in the past.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#12853 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:31 PM

So we now have Jan 6th text messages, making clear the lord that the right and Fox and the republicans have been saying the past year. Trump knew and they knew. We have another PowerPoint on top of other evidence that coup plans were dreamt up and shared at the highest levels.

Mark meadows who shared documents and wrote a book now claims executive privilege and when the vote came to hold him in contempt it came down to party lines.

I mean if half the country or at least half of the two political parties are going to blindly walk into tyranny are we fucked?

#12854 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:54 PM

Do you want the honest answer or the Republican answer?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12855 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:36 PM

From what I've been reading, the Democrats are going to get steam rolled next year and if Trump is alive in 2024 you're all going to be fucked. Democrats are way too busy infighting and meanwhile the republicans are writing a whole new set of rules.

#12856 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

View PostCause, on 15 December 2021 - 01:31 PM, said:

So we now have Jan 6th text messages, making clear the lord that the right and Fox and the republicans have been saying the past year. Trump knew and they knew. We have another PowerPoint on top of other evidence that coup plans were dreamt up and shared at the highest levels.

Mark meadows who shared documents and wrote a book now claims executive privilege and when the vote came to hold him in contempt it came down to party lines.

I mean if half the country or at least half of the two political parties are going to blindly walk into tyranny are we fucked?

The reactionaries have been going on about leftist 'tyranny' to make it easier to impose their own. Partly it's a matter of 'accusing your enemies of what you yourself intend to do', and partly 'we need to impose tyranny on them to keep them from imposing tyranny on us'; 'we need to break the rules to stop them from breaking the rules (or the true spirit of the rules).'

Personally I might welcome techno-'tyranny' if it were given a utopian design, helping us overcome our self-destructive tendencies while simultaneously making almost all work optional (as opposed to becoming an exploitative hellscape warped by a continuation of crude capitalism, instead of replacing abstract capital with virtue or holistic efficiency or the Good, etc.). In the meantime, we really should get busy making killer robots to take out the Trumpists just in case there is a hot civil war. (Kidding... for now. But maybe not in the not so distant future.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 December 2021 - 03:47 PM

#12857 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 December 2021 - 05:58 PM

Dang, brazen move by a construction crew doing road work as I was driving in this morning. One of the trucks parked in the cone zone was flying a "Let's Go Brandon" flag. It wasn't subtle either, it was one of them biguns that extends the length of the truck bed. I thought it was prudent to keep politics separate from work, especially if the work is being done by the municipality.

#12858 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 December 2021 - 10:19 PM

Manchin objecting to the child tax credit in the Build Back Better Plan because he claims beneficiaries would waste it on drugs (for themselves, not even for their children!). Hmm, I'd be fine if the bill passed without it. People should not be encouraged to have children, unless they use sperm or egg donors with extremely high intelligence, good health, and/or other socioeconomically desirable traits; we should replace CTC with ATC (abortion tax credit). (The US should fulfill job openings that automation can't yet handle by admitting highly qualified immigrants. Getting someone who can already do the job is much more likely to succeed than hoping spawn-of-already-does-the-job-or-something-like-it will be ready to do whatever the job is when they're old enough (most likely old enough to be replaced by automation by then!).)

Same goes for things like universal prekindergarten, child care, etc. that would allow parents to work during the day. People shouldn't be working outside the home. We should transition to maximal automation, with the exception of volunteer work people do for fun or personal development.

Manchin's main public objection to the BBB plan is it that would cause inflation. But 'a series of analyses [...] have dismissed inflationary fears pegged to the bill. That includes analysis from a pair of Democratic economists who warned about rising inflation earlier this year — Harvard’s Lawrence H. Summers and Jason Furman — and from the nonpartisan Penn Wharton Budget Model at the University of Pennsylvania. All of those analyses conclude that the bill would add little or nothing to inflation in the coming year.

[...] the Penn Wharton analysis found Mr. Biden’s bill “will have virtually no impact on inflation in the short term, and in the long run, the policies it includes will ease inflationary pressures.”'

https://www.nytimes....-ambitions.html

OTOH could have more to do with Manchin being a coal baron and not wanting EV tax credits or other climate change mitigation measures to go through....

#12859 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 December 2021 - 04:01 AM

Are you serious about eugenics and the abortion tax credit? It's a little hard to tell if sarcastic or not there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12860 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 December 2021 - 08:15 AM

Same questions

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic