• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12481 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:26 PM

The Republicans turning on Trump now are the lowest of the low. Fair enough the few who have always criticised him but the ones who were either silent or supported him before and are now going against him in public. And the ones who have indicated they voted against impeachment but only because they are worried about their safety back in their home state. Talk about a lack of respect for the oath of public office. Shame shame shame. They make me puke even more than the white supremacists. They are everything that is wrong with the world.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12482 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

Even more disgraceful are the republicans attending the inauguration after supporting the political misinformation campaign and not wanting to call the winner of the election.

#12483 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:48 PM

My favourites are the Republicans who objected to accepting states electoral results, and are now against impeaching Trump because it wouldn't help unify the country.

#12484 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:59 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 16 January 2021 - 08:48 PM, said:

My favourites are the Republicans who objected to accepting states electoral results, and are now against impeaching Trump because it wouldn't help unify the country.

'Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, a freshman lawmaker from Georgia who's best known for her support of the QAnon conspiracy theory, said on Twitter Wednesday that she would file articles of impeachment against Biden the day after he takes office.

"On behalf of the American people, we have to make sure our leaders are held accountable," Greene told Trumpist website Newsmax on Wednesday.

"We cannot have a president of the United States who's willing to abuse the power of the presidency."

Greene went on to argue that, while she doesn't condone the violence at the Capitol on Jan. 6, the fact that there was far-right violence is cause to remove Biden from the presidency—in order to prevent more of it.

"I'm a big believer in having people in office who are willing to do the job, and I can't imagine people in this country being so fearful of a future of a Biden presidency that they may be willing to commit violence like they did in the Capitol here in Washington, D.C.," Greene added. "We cannot have that, I do not condone that violence."'

https://www.vice.com...e-biden-already

'Capitol Police arrested a man at a security checkpoint in Washington on Friday after he flashed an "unauthorized" inauguration credential and a search of his truck found an unregistered handgun and more than 500 rounds of ammunition, the authorities said.

[...] A militarized "green zone" is being established downtown, tens of thousands of National Guard members are flooding the city, and a metal fence has gone up around the Capitol grounds in advance of the swearing-in of President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Federal agencies have tried to keep some people who breached the Capitol with weapons earlier this month from returning to the city, including by restricting their ability to board commercial planes'

https://www.nytimes....gj3yc2xhP59DzHM

Why aren't they being held in jail (or given ankle monitors and placed under house arrest) until after the inauguration?

'Neo-Nazi conspiracist "Baked Alaska" arrested after live-streaming from Capitol insurrection

Tim Gionet has been banned from several social media platforms after posting antisemitic and white nationalist memes

[...] A judge in Scottsdale, Arizona issued a warrant for Gionet's arrest on Thursday for violating conditions of his parole by leaving the state to join the riot in Washington DC.

Federal law enforcement arrested Gionet in Houston, Texas on Saturday'

[Took them long enough....]

'Gionet "conducted an approximately 27-minute long" stream from inside the Capitol, where Gionet and others can be heard chanting "patriots are in control", "whose house? our house" and "traitors, traitors, traitors".'

[Got the last part right....]

https://www.independ...l-b1788372.html

'Online far-right movements fracture in wake of Capitol riot

According to researchers who study the real-life effects of the QAnon movement, the false belief in a secret plan for Jan. 20 is irking militant pro-Trump and anti-government groups.

Online far-right movements are splintering in the wake of last week's Capitol riot, as some radical anti-government movements show signs of disillusionment with the relatively hands-off approach of some QAnon conspiracy theorists amid warnings of future violence.
QAnon adherents, who believe Trump is secretly saving the world from a cabal of child-eating Satanists, have identified Inauguration Day as a last stand, and falsely think he will force a 10-day, countrywide blackout that ends in the mass execution of his political enemies and a second Trump term.'

https://www.nbcnews....l-riot-n1254459

Still, if QAnon believe they're getting a signal from Trump or 'Q' to attack... at least some of them will, as happened during the Capitol riot (QAnon Shaman with his spear, the woman who was shot to death, 'and many more' (as the song goes)...). Maybe more perceived 'Morse code' (as I posted in Political Comedy, QAnon thinks Trump's hand gestures during his Oval Office speech after the riots signalled the letter 'Q' in Morse code...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 January 2021 - 09:59 PM

#12485 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:16 PM

Updates on the one arrested trying to enter a security checkpoint:

'The truck Beeler was driving was decorated with firearm decals, including ones that said "Assault Life" and "If they come for your guns, Give 'Em your bullets first."

A gun with a high-capacity magazine inserted and ammunition were found in the vehicle[...]

[...] they also found "509 9MM rounds of hollow point & ball ammunition" and 21 12-guage shotgun shells.

[...] Beeler is charged with carrying a concealed weapon, possessing an unregistered firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition and possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device'

https://www.nbcwashi...police/2543951/

Hopefully they'll add more charges as the investigation continues... and won't let him out on bail until sometime after the inauguration.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 January 2021 - 10:17 PM

#12486 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:06 AM

https://www.citizens...ump-properties/

I realize with so much going on it’s hard to be outraged at everything but this is actually inbound

#12487 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:17 AM

We're in a fucking pandemic.
Why are they even doing an inauguration?

Video him swearing-in and fucking get on with it.

Jesus Christ America get it together and stop with you bill shit

#12488 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:59 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 January 2021 - 10:17 AM, said:

It's important to keep up appearances that things are happening as usual.

Even if they really aren't.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#12489 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

'The man arrested at an inauguration checkpoint in Washington, D.C. says he forgot he had a weapon in his truck, characterizing it as an "honest mistake." [...] Beeler[...] said he had been working as a security guard in Washington, D.C. when he got lost and asked for directions. "I pulled up to a checkpoint after getting lost in D.C. because I'm a country boy," he told the Washington Post in what the paper describes a "tear-filled interview." "I showed them the inauguration badge that was given to me."

[...] Beeler doesn't have extremist ties and cooperated with law enforcement officials. He was cleared from further investigation except for the charge of violating Washington law by carrying a gun without a license. Prosecutors did not object to Beeler being released.

[...] Although police say they found 509 rounds of ammunition and 21 shotgun shells, Beeler denied those numbers were accurate. "I'm not a bad person. I'm not connected to any hate groups. I'm not there to harm anybody," he said.'

https://slate.com/ne...loaded-gun.html

Hopefully they did a thorough investigation... no mention of whether they confirmed that he wasn't trying to enter the checkpoint or whether the 'over 500 rounds of ammunition' police reported was a mistake.

'The truck Beeler was driving was decorated with firearm decals, including ones that said "Assault Life" and "If they come for your guns, Give 'Em your bullets first."'

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

#12490 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

Ah yes, the "Good old country boy" defense. Clearly unable to do any wrong.

#12491 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:40 PM

View PostMentalist, on 17 January 2021 - 04:59 PM, said:

Also if they didn't do it the usual way, guess who'd be calling it illegitimate 30 seconds later?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12492 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 January 2021 - 10:40 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 17 January 2021 - 04:59 PM, said:

Also if they didn't do it the usual way, guess who'd be calling it illegitimate 30 seconds later?

That is exactly what I have been thinking. Never mind that it does not make a difference at all, Biden's "critics" will use exactly that to cast doubt on the legitimacy of his presidency. As sad as it is, I think that doing an almost regular style inauguration is the path of least resistance.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12493 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:20 AM

What is the latest with Trump requesting a military style send off? That's not going to happen right? Which leads to a question, if Trump is impeached, he can't ever run for president again, but he also is stripped of all privileges a former president receives right? Like a security detail and other ex president swag?

#12494 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:38 AM

I'm worried about what the aftermath of the next few days and Trump leaving office will be but I have to admit I'm also excited to see what the follow up is. I'd love it if we reach Jan 21st and Trump just gets gangbanged by every single minor and major justice department and private legal team for crimes committed, debts owed, defamations, etc. Just let 2021 be Trump being pounded over and over and over. It'll warm my cold black heart.

#12495 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

I think the most appropriate military style send-off would be a firing squad.

"President Trump ..... You're Fired!" *bang bang bang bang bang bang*
Then go all William Wallace-style on the corpse.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 January 2021 - 08:40 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12496 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:36 PM

I've heard this AM that they are worried that some of the National Guard are comprised Trump supporters and will attempt something at Innauguration?

I mean, I know you all have to worry about these people already in power positions, but you have to worry that the very people set to guard against this shit with the new President coming in...things are really really broken.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12497 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 January 2021 - 02:36 PM, said:

I've heard this AM that they are worried that some of the National Guard are comprised Trump supporters and will attempt something at Innauguration?

I mean, I know you all have to worry about these people already in power positions, but you have to worry that the very people set to guard against this shit with the new President coming in...things are really really broken.

And if something happens and some guardsman trump supporter were to actually shoot Biden, you can be DAMN sure that all the critics are going to be all; "See?!? We told you this would happen. The Democrats would get rid of Biden so Kamela could become the chosen one. This was always going to happen blah blah blah!"
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12498 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 January 2021 - 02:36 PM, said:

'Every single one of the 25,000 National Guard troops deployed to Washington, D.C. this week is being vetted by the FBI as officials fret over the prospect of an insider attack on Joe Biden's inauguration. The checks, reported by the Associated Press, started last week and will be completed by the time the event kicks off on Wednesday morning. Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy told AP that no evidence of an inside threat has been found, but no risks can be taken'

https://www.thedaily...ration?ref=home

Then again... there are major limits on what vetting can find (so far, anyway...). Especially on such a large scale and over a relatively short time frame.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

#12499 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:14 PM

No less then 100 pardons supposed to happen Tuesday (last day in office).

over/under on how many will be for the "patriots" who attacked the capital.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 18 January 2021 - 06:15 PM

#12500 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:57 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 January 2021 - 06:14 PM, said:

No less then 100 pardons supposed to happen Tuesday (last day in office).

over/under on how many will be for the "patriots" who attacked the capital.

Last full day, but:

'Trump has until noon on January 20 to sign off on any pardons.'

https://www.cbsnews....-pardon-powers/

Pardon the rioters early Tuesday, pardon them again (and many more) just before noon (Wednesday / Inauguration Day), after they've gunned down or exploded enough 'Demon-rats'?

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users