• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12521 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:55 PM

View PostGorefest, on 20 January 2021 - 05:18 PM, said:

Congrats Americans, sanity has returned to your great nation.

Long, long way to go before we can say that.

There's a lot to do beyond a replacement of the presidential administration. We're going to see whether the legislative and presidential order agenda gets watered down to nearly nothing (already seeing signs of that happening).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12522 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 January 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

And that's the ballgame.

Trump is now a private citizen.

Here's hoping NY has armed police awaiting him in Florida when he lands to take him into custody for that states crimes.

This will not happen.

#12523 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

Any news of any unrest elsewhere across the States? They were talking of uprisings in all 50 states so I'm surprised there's absolutely nothing.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12524 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:19 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 January 2021 - 05:56 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 January 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

And that's the ballgame.

Trump is now a private citizen.

Here's hoping NY has armed police awaiting him in Florida when he lands to take him into custody for that states crimes.

This will not happen.

What that he won't be arrested, or it won't happen today?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12525 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:26 PM

Politically it would be a very bad move to move on Trump right after he leaves office. It would create massive civil unrest. Serve him papers, call him in for a talk, sure. But they've got time.

#12526 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

Yep, slow burn that motherfucker. Death by a thousand cuts. The dumb memories of the Q-maga assholes will be on to the next, hopefully.

But I would really like to see impeachment done to completion, and all the constitutional "walls" (see what I did there) that will be put in front of Donnie boy and any aspirations he may have in the future.

[EDIT] Draw back: Trump 's life has been spent in perpetual litigation, so if he is knowledgeable and good at anything it's sue and being sued.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 20 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

#12527 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 January 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

Politically it would be a very bad move to move on Trump right after he leaves office. It would create massive civil unrest. Serve him papers, call him in for a talk, sure. But they've got time.

Politically, it would be amazing if he was arrested right away. The civil unrest is already happening and it's not likely to get worse with him in jail for however long it takes to process the papers to get him out. But it won't happen because not enough people think holding him accountable is important.

To loop back to Quick Tidal's question, Trump is not going to get arrested as he steps off a plane. If it ever happens, it'll happen in a "he walks into the building with his lawyers alongside him" type deal. He's a criminal, but he's also an ex-President and that makes people do loopy things.

#12528 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:06 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 January 2021 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 20 January 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

Politically, it would be amazing if he was arrested right away. The civil unrest is already happening and it's not likely to get worse with him in jail for however long it takes to process the papers to get him out. But it won't happen because not enough people think holding him accountable is important.

To loop back to Quick Tidal's question, Trump is not going to get arrested as he steps off a plane. If it ever happens, it'll happen in a "he walks into the building with his lawyers alongside him" type deal. He's a criminal, but he's also an ex-President and that makes people do loopy things.

Ah okay, fair enough.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12529 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:26 AM

First White House press conference. It seems.... normal. It seems weird in its normalcy. I have feelings of confusion. What's going on?

#12530 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:35 AM

I know right. What a strange thing to see a competent human answer questions in a pretty sensible manner.

The one thing that made me bristle was hearing a question from some windbag from a fucking religious newspaper . We're having the political fallout from an old church/state scandal here in Ireland yet again, so the last thing I want to hear is any 'probing' questions from these allegedly pious pricks.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#12531 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:25 AM

You guys should find the footage of Bernie Sanders at the inauguration. There's something endearing about that weird old dude at a highbrow social event like an inauguration. Sorta looks like that odd old uncle who wears dress socks with sandles and teaches anthropology at the local community college putting his best foot forward in getting dressed up for the occasion.

Also, watching some highlights of the inaugration, Obama is so the popular kid. Trump must of had steam rolling out of his ears seeing that. And knowing that he is a one termer (thank the heavens) and will not equal Obama. Or will he? *evil-finger-tapping *MAGA2024! *Buld-the-DeathStar! ? *LockHimUpInCryostasis! ?

#12532 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

Hashtag Shadowprez
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12533 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:28 PM

Been catching up with highlights of the inauguration and some of the various segments that were produced. I probably could have looked this up, but I figure I would ask you guys - Jimmy Carter is still alive, right?

#12534 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

Still alive at 96. Probably still the best actual person among the living Presidents.

#12535 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

As easy as it is to make fun of Qanon cultists and their rampant stupidity and gullibility, let's not forget that...

Qanon does have casualties...

And it's not actually funny.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12536 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:21 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 22 January 2021 - 08:16 PM, said:

As easy as it is to make fun of Qanon cultists and their rampant stupidity and gullibility, let's not forget that...

Qanon does have casualties...

And it's not actually funny.

Shit, there's some really fucked up stories in there.

I found this link to a timeline a journo did of what happened after Election Day in the QAnon world. Whoa. :doh:

The reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.c...lection_day_to/

The article in Paste Magazine:

https://www.pastemag...auguration-day/

EDIT:
Love this part referring to the revolving door at the White House

"One of the defining aspects of Donald Trump as a human being is his habit of heaping praise and adulation on those who follow his orders, only to throw those same people under the bus weeks later by calling them disloyal idiots as soon as they object to his stupidity. It’s why we measure time in Donald’s service in “Mooches,” with each amount of time equal to 11 days, the amount of time that Anthony Scaramucci lasted as the White House Communications Director. Trump has never had an underling he wasn’t ready to sacrifice at a moment’s notice, but somehow expects his terrible hiring to never reflect poorly upon him.
Taking his lead, QAnon influencers offer up ecstatic, over-the-moon worship of all the random yes men in Trump’s orbit, portraying them as unstoppable warriors and badasses who will help to usher in the coming of The Storm. At least, that’s how they treat these people when they’re first hired. As soon as they “betray” Trump, the Q influencers then sling venom at them and claim they’ve all been Deep State agents all along."

EDIT2: Oh wow, here's where someone realises they've lost everything, and for what?

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 January 2021 - 03:13 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12537 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:26 AM

https://www.google.c...rump/index.html

What I find interesting about this article is the line where the democrats are called leftist forces.

Back in my own country we have a political party called the economic freedom fighters that dresses in red, wears berets and calls their leader the commander in chief.

I believe Steve Brannon has a political podcast he calls war room.

My point anyway is just that when you use language like this of course it’s is vs them. No negotiation. If you start speaking about politics as total war there can be only one winner.

#12538 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:09 AM

That Marjorie Taylor Greene moron is really catching it. Hopefully it leads to expulsion. And hopefully followed out the door by Lauren Boebert.

[EDIT] It's laughable that many Rs are calling for unity and inclusive atmosphere of bipartisanship. I know Biden pushes bipartisanship too, which is commendable. But how the hell could you ever even entertain the notion of having something to work on with some of these people.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 30 January 2021 - 12:15 AM

#12539 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

'Trump's entire legal team quits week before impeachment trial

[...] The disagreements over strategy varied, [...] but Trump wanted his team to argue there was election fraud, while the lawyers and some top advisers to the former president wanted the focus to remain on the constitutionality of a trial with the president no longer in office.'

https://abcnews.go.c...o_YfgU3Xsd_MZ8c

'Removing an official requires a "conviction" by a two-thirds Senate majority under the Constitution. Under precedent, only a simple majority is needed for disqualification [from holding future office]. Historically, that vote only happens after a conviction.

[...]

Can Trump be disqualified if he is not convicted by the Senate?

This is uncharted legal territory, and there is no clear answer, scholars said.

Paul Campos, a professor of constitutional law at the University of Colorado, said he believed a vote to disqualify Trump can be held even if there are not enough votes for conviction. The U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that the Senate has wide latitude to determine how it conducts a trial, he said.

But Kalt said he thought disqualification would require conviction first. To do otherwise would be the equivalent of punishing the president for an offense he did not commit, Kalt said.

What about the 14th Amendment?

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment provides an alternative path for disqualification.

The provision states that no person shall hold office if they have engaged in "insurrection or rebellion" against the United States. It was enacted following the Civil War to bar Confederates from holding public office.

Under congressional precedent, only a simple majority of both chambers is needed to invoke this penalty. Congress can later remove the disqualification, but only if two-thirds of both houses vote in favor of doing so.

[...] "The 14th Amendment route is very unclear as to what it would take to get it rolling," said Kalt. "I think it would require some combination of legislation and litigation."

If Trump is disqualified, the current Supreme Court might want to clarify whether the move was lawful, Kalt said.'

https://www.reuters....e-idUSKBN29I356

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 31 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

#12540 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

I don't believe this circus is likely to lead to anything, I just want my fantasy of Trump being grilled for an entire day in front of cameras to come true. It'll be such a shit show.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users